Thank you for printing our article. Explore Lifehack for similar articles to help you improve your life.
Why Setting Goals is Essential for Success in Any Area!
When I started working in my chosen profession, I couldn’t understand why there were those individuals who seemed to succeed in anything they tried, and then there were others who just couldn’t manage to achieve anything. After a while, I became amazed at the precise connections that starting showing up, and the biggest difference lay in setting and reviewing goals regularly.When I started working in my chosen profession, I couldn’t understand why there were those individuals who seemed to succeed in anything they tried, and then there were others who just couldn’t manage to achieve anything. After a while, I became amazed at the precise connections that starting showing up, and the biggest difference lay in setting and reviewing goals regularly.
Then I saw an academic study done by Dr. David Kohl on goals — did you know that:
- 80% of Americans claim that they don’t have goals
- 16% of them have goals, but they don’t write them down
- Only 3% actually have written goals, but they don’t review them regularly
- Only 1% has written goals and they review them regularly, and these are among the highest achievers in the US
You need to set goals, independent of whether you want to achieve more or less. Goals are not only about achieving more or wanting to take on more in life; a goal starts with a simple desire. If you have a desire for less in life — for example, less work or less responsibility — these are also goals.
What do you do with your desires and wants in life? You could both ignore them and leave them to fade away in your mind, or listen to yourself and start taking action to get what you want in life.
Do you use any of these excuses for not setting goals?
- You don’t see the importance in setting them
- You want instant gratification, and goals seem so far off
- You don’t know where to start or what steps to take
- You don’t believe that you can actually achieve what you really want in life
Whatever the reason, I am sure your excuse is limiting you. What happens when you don’t set goals? If you’re vague and unclear about what you want, you might end up at a certain age with things that you didn’t want, or perhaps nowhere even close to having them at all. If you don’t set goals, how do you know what you need to do to get where you want? Or imagine, you get somewhere, and it’s not where you want to be.
It’s like going to an estate agent (your mind) and saying (thinking) – I want to end up in a beautiful place by the beach one day. That day arrives and you end up in Somalia. I am sure it is a beautiful place and you could be really happy, but is probably isn’t what you really wanted, why? because you weren’t clear.
Learn about the different ways you can make it easier to start setting and achieving your goals.
The Benefits of Setting Goals
Setting goals not only increase your chances of succeeding, but…
- When you set goals, your actions are more focused and you start putting into action the whole process of turning your vision into your reality.
- Goals also keep you motivated and inspired when you’re “just not feeling good”; they give you the impetus you need to keep going.
- Setting goals and reviewing them regularly is like holding up your vision in front of you on a regular basis, giving you targeted direction and keeping you moving closer to what you want.
- You will accomplish more in months than many people do in years, and you will see better results faster than you could have ever imagined.
If you have a really strong desire for something, you have two choices: wishful thinking, or taking action. You can wish for a miracle, try to put the least amount of effort in, hoping to get the most out, and do nothing. On the other hand, you can get clear on the steps you need to take and take them, slowly, one by one until you reach success in that area and you will live with new amazing results in your life.
Setting goals is the essential ingredient to achieving success in any area. It begins with a desire, and then a written goal, followed by the right attitude and action, and that is your formula for success. Keep reviewing your goals and watch how your vision miraculously turns into your reality.
To your success!
© 2005 - 2018 Lifehack · All Rights Reserved.