Shredding the pounds can prove to be a daunting task for many individuals. Innumerable hours of grinding in the gym with the result of dropping a couple of kilos can certainly be discouraging. But with the appropriate diet, you can amplify these small numbers of weight loss to reach your desired goal.
An essential ingredient that you can look up to lose weight is protein. A high protein diet not only aids in building muscle mass but also assists in reducing appetite and burning fat, which in turn leads to weight loss.
A protein-rich meal ensures that an individual remains full for more extended periods while providing the energy necessary to function throughout the day. Meat and nuts are a rich source of protein.
Additionally, protein powders are specially designed for people who wish to build muscle mass and lose weight during the process. The protein present in these protein powders is extracted from highly concentrated plant or dairy-based sources and incorporate other ingredients that are vital for weight loss.
Now, the question at large is: what is the best protein powder for weight loss and how to choose and use one?
Table of Contents
What To Consider Before Purchasing Any Protein Powder
I made here a comprehensive list of protein powders that will massively help you with your goals. But before you go to your local vendor to buy one, you have to keep in mind certain things.
There are a few factors that you must keep in mind while purchasing a protein powder. Here are some of the important factors to assist you in buying the best protein powder for weight loss that will suit your needs.
1. Potential Dietary Restrictions
There is no single best protein powder for weight loss that fits everyone because we all have different dietary restrictions. When going for a protein powder, ensure that you keep in mind all the dietary restrictions that you have imposed upon yourself.
If you are vegan, select a protein powder that contains protein solely extracted from plants such as soy, hemp, or pea rather than opting for milk-based protein powders such as whey.
Furthermore, individuals who have diabetes should purchase a protein powder that doesn’t contain added sugar in it. It is also recommended for such individuals to select a protein powder that has low carb content.
People with kidney diseases would find it immensely difficult to absorb a large amount of protein in a single serving. Therefore, a lower-range protein content protein powder is recommended for such people.
2. Reading the Label
You must read the label of the protein powder that you think is appropriate for you.
Reading the name of the protein powder will give you a general sense of clarity as to what that particular product offers – whether it is a milk-based or a plant-based protein powder, whether it would it be suitable to your weight loss needs, whether it contains any artificial sweeteners or not, and whether it includes creatine or not.
Thus, reading the label will nudge you on the right path while buying a protein powder.
3. Serving Size
Serving size is another important factor you should consider before purchasing a protein powder. Every protein powder incorporates a scoop that is calibrated to the nutritional content label on the container.
As far as the size of the scoop is concerned, it varies from brand to brand. As I’ve said, there is no single best protein powder for weight loss. Choosing the best one depends mainly on your goals. Therefore, you should purchase a protein powder that satisfies your weight loss requirements.
4. Experiment With a Blend
Go for a protein powder that embodies a blend of high-quality proteins, like casein, whey, and soy, as they contain all the nine crucial amino acids.
The incorporation of these amino acids is quite essential for our bodies as they boost the muscle mass gain factor. The inclusion of soy protein is quite vital as it massively aids in recovery after a rigorous workout session, whereas the addition of whey and casein protein proves to be quite crucial to increase the protein synthesis; which in turn increases muscle mass.
Thus, purchasing a protein powder that contains all the proteins mentioned above would help your cause.
Sodium, if taken in excess, can lead to increased blood pressure and can also elevate the risk of heart-related issues. Although the incorporation of sodium in a protein powder tends to increase the muscle gain factor and assists in weight loss, you are likely putting yourself at risk if you purchase a protein powder with a high sodium rating.
A study showed that out of 50 protein supplements, 47 had a high Sodium content. Thus, to be on the safe side, purchase a protein powder with low sodium content.
Calorie intake is undoubtedly an essential factor to consider when purchasing a protein powder. Your main goal of working out is to shred those extra pounds that you have put on.
To achieve your goal, you must decrease your caloric intake and burn more calories throughout the day. Therefore, you should intake food that is low in calories.
As far as the protein powder is concerned, its sole aim is to provide you with the protein that you lack in your everyday diet. Go for a protein powder that is low in calories.
7. Other Nutrients
Go for a protein powder that doesn’t contain additives such as creatine, taurine, BCAAs, glycine, and many more. These are high-nitrogen amino acids whose incorporation makes a protein powder littered with junk and is of no use.
When purchasing a protein powder, make sure that it doesn’t contain the additives mentioned above as they can contaminate the protein content present in the product. Therefore, opt for a protein supplement that contains no additional additives whatsoever.
10 Best Protein Powder for Weight Loss
The following is an all-inclusive list of the best protein powders out there. If you are looking for the best protein powder for weight loss, this list has you covered.
1. RSP AvoCollagen
RSP AvoCollagen is one of the top protein powders for weight loss and it has the following unique features:
- Incorporates 10 grams hydrolyzed collagen peptides
- Includes fats that assist in collagen production
- Promotes flexibility and enhances recovery
- Supports healthy growth of bones, hair, and nails
- A 20 grams scoop is included with 20 servings per container.
- The powdered content remains mixed when shaken once.
- Improves skin after minimal use
- Tastes great
- Some consumers had issues while mixing the powder.
- Few people found that this product didn’t suppress their appetites.
- Some people didn’t like the smell of it.
Learn more about RSP AvoCollagen.
2. 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein
100% Grass Fed Whey Protein, another healthy protein powder for weight loss, has the following salient features:
- Incorporates 25 grams Protein, 5.9 grams BCAAs vital for building lean muscle and lose weight
- Undergoes micro-filtration to curb bioactivity
- Does not contain any fillers
- Protein present is mixed with less than 1% Non-GMO sunflower lecithin. Thus, it blends perfectly.
- Mixes well with 12oz of unsweetened almond milk
- It elevates your energy levels.
- It is easily digestible.
- It contains no additives or preservatives.
- Some individuals don’t like the taste of the powder.
- A user indicated that the product contains a high amount of lecithin.
- Some people suffered from diarrhea after intaking the product.
Learn more about 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein.
3. RSP TrueFit
RSP TrueFit, one of the best protein powders for fat loss, brings the following features to the table:
- Incorporates 25 grams grass-fed whey protein and 5 grams BCAAs
- Includes 1 billion CFU Probiotics
- It contains 12 Non-GMO vegetables and fruits, and 8 grams prebiotic fiber from sweet potato fiber.
- Embodies 2-4 grams quality fats extracted from naturally occurring MCT oil and Whey
- Tastes delicious when a scoop is mixed with a banana and a cup of milk
- Mixes instantly when shaken
- Boosts energy levels straightaway after consumption
- Works as a cost-effective meal replacement protein supplement
- Some consumers experienced lousy aftertaste after consumption.
- A few users experienced no change as far as curbing the appetite was concerned.
- The new version of the product contains minimal vitamins and minerals.
Learn more about RSP TrueFit.
Orgain has cemented its legacy as a prominent protein powder for weight loss. The following are some of its salient attributes:
- Incorporates 1.59lbs Orgain Plant-Based Protein Powder
- Includes 21 grams of organic plant-based protein and 5 grams of natural dietary fiber per serving
- It does not contain gluten, lactose, additional sugar, and artificial ingredients.
- Embodies 3 grams of net carbs and 150 calories per serving
- Tastes best when blended with unsweetened almond milk, half banana, and 2 tablespoons organic almond butter
- It immediately tends to lose food cravings.
- It contains fiber that significantly aids in digestion.
- The powder blends well in smoothies.
- Caused bloating and stomach-ache in some users
- Some people detested its aftertaste.
- The inclusion of Erythritol can cause nausea.
Learn more about Orgain.
5. Isopure Low Carb
Isopure Low Carb is a good protein powder for weight loss that has the following features:
- Includes a protein source that provides 25 grams of protein per serving, contains Zinc
- It does not contain any GMO.
- Suppresses the use of artificial sweeteners and colors
- Massively aids in supporting ketogenic macros contain 120 calories per serving
- Tastes well when a scoop of powder is mixed with milk and some powdered peanut butter
- It contains low carbohydrate content.
- Mixes quite well with a shaker or spoon
- It contains no Stevia and has no weird aftertaste.
- One user noticed dense powdered grains in the container.
- A user complained about the unpleasant smell of the powder.
- This product isn’t KETO friendly.
Learn more about Isopure Low Carb.
- It contains 10 grams of raw organic protein and 12 grams of fiber.
- Manufactured from raw hemp seed
- It does not contain trans fat and saturated fat.
- The protein incorporated in this supplement is high Omega 3 fats and antioxidants.
- Tastes well when mixed with 8 ounces of vanilla almond milk and a ripe banana
- It contains hemp that suppresses appetite.
- Includes fiber in bulk
- Massively aids in providing energy and boosts confidence levels
- Some people complained about the packaging of this product.
- Some users had issues with the taste of the hemp.
- A few consumers complained about the supplement as being too overpriced.
Learn more about Nutiva.
7. Amazing Grass
- Incorporates 20 grams of protein extracted from organic pea, quinoa, hemp, and chia
- It contains 7 alkalizing greens. 4 carbs, 9 nutrient-dense fruits, and veggies, 3 grams of fiber, and less than a gram of sugar.
- It does not contain GMOs. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain-free.
- Does not have additional sugar
- Tastes exceptionally delicious when one scoop is mixed with 3 teaspoons of peanut butter powder and vanilla almond milk
- The inclusion of numerous ingredients in this protein powder proves to be quite beneficial.
- Extremely palatable
- It leaves a pleasant, long-lasting aftertaste.
- Includes Stevia which dampens the taste for some consumers.
- Some people complained about the powder being tasteless.
- A few individuals complained about the quantity of the supplement when it arrived.
Learn more about Amazing Grass.
8. PROMIX Unflavored Micellar
- Supplies slow release of amino acids for a prolonged protein boost
- It contains no carbs or fat.
- Provides 25 grams of high molecular weight Casein Protein
- It does not include any GMO, soy, gluten, or additives.
- Tastes well when mixed with almond milk or coffee
- Blends effortlessly even in cold water
- It comes in a high-quality container.
- It comes in handy while baking casein cookies.
- Some people complained about the supplement having a terrible aftertaste.
- A few customers complained about the powder getting lumpy when wet.
- It is known to raise blood sugar levels in some diabetic individuals.
Learn more about PROMIX Unflavored Micellar.
9. NOW Sports Pea Protein
- Incorporates 24 grams of protein per serving
- A single serving includes 4,200 mg of BCAAs and more than 2000 mg of arginine.
- It does not contain any artificial sweeteners or GMOs.
- Kosher, dairy-free, soy-free, and steroid-free
- It tastes delicious with the addition of banana, along with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and maple syrup in milk.
- Worth the money
- It does not include any dairy-by-products, like whey or casein.
- The powder is soft and well-chafed. Thus, it blends quite effortlessly.
- Some people experienced discomfort after consumption.
- An individual complained about plastic shards being in the powder.
- Some consumers had issues with the taste of the supplement and deemed it as “horrendous”.
Learn more about NOW Sports Pea Protein.
10. Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein
- Dramatically aids in the prevention of muscle loss
- It contains 25 grams of protein and 11 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs per serving.
- Suppresses the use of artificial ingredients
- Explicitly manufactured to assist in muscle recovery. Takes up to 6-8 hours to digest completely; thus, suppresses appetite
- Tastes tremendously delicious when mixed with 5oz of almond milk along with banana and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or maple syrup
- Helps to curb late-night snacking
- Goes well with water
- It can also be consumed as a pudding.
- Some people had issues with the blending of the powder.
- Some users complained about the taste being too “chemical”.
- A few consumers had issues with the consistency of the product.
Learn more about Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Real Food Better Than Protein Powder?
Protein shakes work best for an individual who has a hectic schedule. They are a convenient alternative to a proper meal as they are a rich source of high-quality protein. Therefore, a protein supplement would work just as well as a meal, if not better.
2. Will Protein Powder Become Denatured If It’s Cooked?
The particles of a protein supplement will denature when they are cooked. But consuming denatured protein isn’t bad for our body. In fact, the protein content of the denatured powder remains the same. Thus, cooked or not, our body absorbs the protein, nonetheless.
3. Will A Higher Protein Diet Harm My Kidneys?
A high protein diet can be quite harmful to a person who is suffering from kidney-related diseases. If an individual does not suffer from any particular kidney disease, then intaking high-protein meals won’t harm their kidneys.
I jotted down this guide to help you find the best protein powder for weight loss that fits your health and lifestyle. If you go through this guide, you would surely be able to select the best protein supplement out there more easily.
This guide does not only help you buy the best product in the market but also assist you in purchasing a product that fulfills your requirement.
Tips to Help You Lose Weight
- Weight Loss Plan And Program: Create Your Own One
- 10 Ways to Boost Your Weight Loss Productivity
- 7 Negative Weight Loss Mindsets to Overcome
Featured photo credit: LYFE Fuel via unsplash.com