Beetroot, commonly called beet has reached popularity as a super food rated as a highway to health after studies claimed that it improves athletic performance, increases blood flow and lowers blood pressure.
The appealing nutritious red beet can be juiced up too. The beetroot like many other vegetables is a source of nutrients minus the fat-with added protein. The carbohydrate profile of beetroot is unique. They contain a huge percentage of sugar, but have half of the total carbs of starchy veggies like potatoes. Because of the low carbs and fiber content of 3 grams, the effect on blood sugar levels stay moderate.
If the beets you have still have greens attached remove them as they drain liquid from the beet. Do not throw these greens away. They are edible .
Beet Helps Us Grow New Cells
- Folate helps to synthesize DNA and protein and DNA. It is therefore essential for the growth of new cells. A folate deficiency can result in anemia as red blood cells do not reach maturity. Folate also helps to prevents cardiovascular disease. A cup of cooked beetroot supplies one-third of the daily recommended folate (136g)
Beet is the vegetable you need for healthier bones
- Manganese is necessary for the cartilage and bones and achieve the resiliency to hold up without breaking. One cup of fresh beets is equal to 23 percent of the recommended daily allowance
Beet Keeps you a steady “Beet-ing” heart
- Sufficient potassium helps with blood pressure. A cup of boiled beets has 11 percent of the recommended daily allowance .
Lets get Down to the Beet ! Time to Enjoy!
Whether you like them sweetly roasted, pickled , or crunchy chips, there is scrumptious beet recipe for all. Fresh beets take about 30 to 60 minutes to cook, depending on the size .
Ready to serve these nice beet recipes?
1. A Simple Beet Serving
After they are boiled or roasted, serve with lemon or balsamic vinegar
Apples and Mushrooms
Mix beet slices with some celery and apples. Add a vinaigrette dressing in sumptuous mushrooms, green peas and sunflower seeds,topped with fresh dill and yogurt.
Orange and Cabbage
Equal parts of cabbage and beet and cabbage. Shred beets. Shred the cabbage. Add one navel orange, peeled and chopped.
Ginger and Carrot
Beet and ginger are a killer combination. Use equal amounts of carrot and beets. Add in the minced ginger to the mix; mix in some peanut oil, lime juice , and cilantro .
- whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest, salt and pepper
Boil the beets whole and untrimmed with lemon juice (place whole lemon halves in the water after juicing them), until tender. Drain the beets, cool them and peel. Slice the beets thinly and place in a bowl. Beat the goat cheese with some whipping cream until there is smooth mix . Add remaining ingredients and season.Place a single beet in muffin tin cups and place the goat cheese mixture topping with a beet slice. Chill for two hours and serve
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely grated cooked beets (about 2 large beets)
- 1 ¼ cup hot water
- Frosting : 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter,1 cup sugar,¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder,¾ cup whipping cream,1 tsp vanilla extract,½ tsp salt
Set the oven to preheat at 350 F. Grease cake pans .Sift the flour . Add cocoa, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the butter and mix . Add vanilla and eggs . Add the beet mix and hot water . Place in cake pan and bake for 35 minutes. Coat with the frosting mixture.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Quebec maple syrup
- 1 cup cooked baby red beets, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup cooked striped baby beets, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup cooked yellow/golden baby beets, peeled and cut in half
- sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chives, sliced
Heat a non-stick skillet adding butter and maple syrup in brown sugar. Simmer until a golden syrup forms. Add the cooked, peeled beets to the syrup and continue to cook until most of the sauce is evaporated and the beets start to caramelize. Turn the heat off and season the beets with sea salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the candied beets with the sliced chives and serve family style for that perfect family meal.
- 1 large beet, cooked and peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp coarse salt,black pepper to season
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) pomegranate juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt,freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb(s) (500 g) beets
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 8 cup (2 L) kale, coarsely chopped, stems and ribs removed
- ½ cup (125 mL) Feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup (125 mL) walnuts, coarsely chopped
Stir pomegranate juice with lemon juice and Dijon. Whisk in 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil. Season with ¼ tsp salt and pepper.Preheat oven to 350ºF. Peel beets. Cut small beets in half, and large beets into quarters. Toss with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil, cumin, remaining salt and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover loosely with foil. Bake for 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven. Combine kale with feta and walnuts in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat. Divide salad between plates. Slice beets into ¾-inch wedges and place over salad.
- Risotto: 2 Tbsp olive oil,1 cup diced leeks, washed well,1 cup Arborio rice,½ cup dry white wine,juice of 1 lemon,2 cup coarsely grated fresh beets,2 tsp chopped fresh thyme,2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon,3 cup vegatable stock,salt and pepper
- Fricassee: 1 ½ lb(s) asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces,1 Tbsp olive oil,1 cup diced leeks, washed well,½ lb(s) button mushrooms, quartered,1 tsp chopped fresh thyme,1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon,salt and pepper, lemon juice, to taste, chopped chives, for garnish
For the risotto, heat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat and add the oil. Add the leeks and sauté until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and sauté for another minute, then add the wine and lemon juice, simmering while stirring until it has all been absorbed. Add 1 cup of the vegetable stock, the grated beets, thyme and tarragon and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Stir the rice frequently, adding the remaining stock, one cup at a time, after the previous addition has been fully absorbed. Season to taste and serve.
While the risotto is cooking, prepare the fricassee. Blanch the asparagus in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes, then drain and rinse to cool. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the leeks, mushrooms, thyme and tarragon and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the blanched asparagus to warm it through, season and add the lemon juice to taste. Serve the fricassee over the beet risotto.
- 1 lb(s) whole beets (about 4 medium)
- 1 ½ lb(s) Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 lb(s) celery root (1 medium)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel and dice the beets, celery root and potatoes. Place each in separate baking dishes and toss each with 2 Tbsp of oil and season lightly. Cover each dish with foil and bake until each is tender (celery root takes about 30 minutes, potatoes about 40 minutes and beets 50 minutes). Let cool. Whisk vinegar, horseradish, mustard, dill, mayonnaise and sour cream together. Stir in cooled vegetables and season to taste.
- ½ cup maple pecans or walnuts
- 1 raw beet peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 Fuji apple or Granny Smith
- peeled, cored, grated
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and grated
- ½ cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil,6 oz Stilton cheese, crumble
Grate the beets, and fennel and apple keep in separate bowls. Toss the beets with the mint, basil, oil, and balsamic vinegar. Gently toss in the fennel and apple and top with cheese and nuts. Serve immediately.
- 4 large beets, washed and ends trimmed,
- 2 Tbsp olive oil,Salt and pepper,½ cup goats cheese,
- Olive oil for drizzling,
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling,
- 1 bunch of chopped Italian parsley,
- Fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F, Place beets on a sheet of tin foil and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper, Wrap tightly and place on a baking sheet. Roast for about an hour, or until easily pierced with a fork. Unwrap and when beets are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice into even wedges.Place in a salad bowl and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar to taste.Crumble goat cheese over top and garnish with parsley and fresh ground pepper.Toss to combine and enjoy!
- 1 large beet, washed and trimmed,
- 2 medium carrots,½ cup sour cream (125ml),
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (125ml),
- 1 green onion, chopped,
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill (15ml),
- 1 tsp orange zest (5ml),
- 1 tsp orange juice (5ml),
- ½ tsp salt (2ml),
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper (1ml),
- ½ tsp prepared mild horseradish (2-4ml)
Place the beets in a microwaveable dish, cover tightly, and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes. Carefully add the carrots to the dish and cover again. Microwave on high for 3-4 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Let stand for 10-15 minutes, or until cooled slightly. Peel the skin from the vegetables. Pulse beets and carrots in a food processor with the sour cream, feta, green onion, dill, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper, until smooth. Divide the beet dip into 2 equal portions. Add horseradish, to taste, to the adult portion.
- 6 large beets, unpeeled,
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives,
- 2 Tbsp honey,
- 2 Tbsp olive oil,
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice,
- 1 Tbsp creamed horseradish (or to taste),
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped,
- Salt and pepper
In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the beets until tender. Drop them into cold water to cool them quickly. Drain and peel. Cut into 1-cm (1/2-inch) thick wedges. Set aside.In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Add the beets and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 2 Tbsp olive oil,
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar,
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar,
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced,
- 2 medium beets, peeled ,
- 2 cup finely sliced green cabbage,
- 6 cup chicken broth,
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped,
- Salt and pepper
In a saucepan over medium heat, brown the onion in the oil. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Deglaze with the vinegar. Add the remaining ingredients except the parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Add the parsley and adjust the seasoning.Serve with open-face sausage and paprika sandwiches
15. Pickled Beets
For pickling : Roasted Beets ,1 large red onion, frenched,1 cup tarragon wine vinegar,1 ½ tsp kosher salt,½ cup sugar.1 cup water
Roasted Beets: 6 medium beets, cleaned with 1-inch stem remaining,2 large shallots, peeled,2 sprigs rosemary, 2 tsp olive oil
Pickling : Remove the skin from the Roasted Beets and slice thinly. Arrange in 1-quart jars alternating layers with the onion. In a small pot boil the rest of the ingredients and pour over the beets. Tightly lid the jars and place in the refrigerator for 3 to 7 days before serving.
Roasted Beets: Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Place into a foil pouch and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
- 2 large beets, peeled and cubed,
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed,
- 6 cups water,
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped,
- ½ tsp sea salt to taste,
- ½ tsp pepper, to taste,
- 1 large bay leaf, dried,
- 1 medium parsnip, chopped,
- 1 medium carrot, chopped,
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced,
- 3 tsp raw honey,
- 4 large dill sprigs, chopped,
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, to fry
Put the potatoes, carrot, parsnip, beets and bay leaf in a large pot of water. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Sauté the onion, garlic and dill to your liking and then add it to the pot.Cook your combined ingredients in your pot over low heat for another 30 minutes.Enjoy your borscht hot or cold, chunky or pureed!
17. Baked Beet Chips
Ingredients and instructions:
- 3 sliced beets, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 pinch salt,2 sprigs rosemary
- Bake sliced beets with olive oil, salt and rosemary at 375ºF for 15-20 minutes.
- 2 potatoes, peeled, shredded
- ½ cup smoked herring
- 2 cups pickled beets, shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bag kale chips
- 1 sprig dill, loose leaves
Boil the potato until its cooked but not mushy, about 5-10 minutes.In a medium bowl combine potatoes, herring, and beets. Pour a little beet juice in to add color and lightly stir ingredients together. Use a mandolin to shred the granny smith apple and place into ½ the lemon juice and some water. Add the remaining lemon juice, mayonnaise, and grainy mustard to the salad. Remove half of the shredded apple from the lemon water. Gently mix the salad together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place a nest of kale chips in the center of the serving plate or bowl. Gently layer some salad on top. Next layer on some of the remaining shredded apple, more salad, and top off with more apples. Sprinkle with dill to serve
- 5 medium sized beets
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chèvre (250 ML)
- 1 handful Fresh chives
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) Rub beets in oil then wrap in foil and roast for 1 hour or until fork tender in centre.Remove beets from foil and cool. Peel skins off beets by just rubbing with fingers (If you want to protect skin from colour, use gloves). Slice beets into rounds about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick. With a small heart cookie cutter, cut out heart shape out of the beet slices. Transfer hearts ( 2 to 4 per person)to individual serving plates.Top with crumbled chèvre and garnish with chives.
Latkes : 3 large beets, ½ yellow onion,3 Adora or yellow-flesh potatoes,½ cup all-purpose flour,2 eggs¼ cup fresh dill, chopped2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced,Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper,Canola oil.
Crème Fraîche : 2 cups full-fat sour cream,1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped,½ cup whipping (35%) cream,Pinch Kosher salt
Eggs and Spinach: White vinegar, 8 eggs, Canola oil, 1 clove garlic, minced, 2 cup lightly packed spinach leaves,Splash dry white wine, Kosher salt
Using a box grater, shred beets and onions into a small colander set inside a bowl. Using the back of a spoon, press juices out (discard juices). Using the same box grater, shred potatoes and transfer to a bowl of cool water as you work to prevent oxidization. Drain well. In a large bowl, combine shredded beets and onions, shredded potatoes, flour, eggs, dill, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a splash of oil. Drop palm-sized handfuls of the latke mixture into the hot pan and, using a spatula, flatten (patties should be 4 to 5 inches in diameter and no thicker than a 1/4 inch). Cook until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Eggs and Spinach
Fill a pot of with water, add a splash of vinegar, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and poach a few eggs at a time (5 minutes to retain soft and runny yolks, or longer, to taste). Transfer poached eggs to a plate lined in paper towel and set aside until ready to serve. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium, heat a splash of oil. Sauté garlic for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Add wine and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes (be careful not to overcook spinach; it should be bright green). Remove from heat.
1. To Serve: Divide latke patties among servings plates. Top with a mound of spinach, and then a poached egg. Dollop each egg with crème fraîche and garnish with red peppers. Serve with fresh fruit alongside.
- 1 raw beet, roughly chopped,
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned,
- ¼ cup tahini, 2 Tbsp lemon juice,
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (preferably aged),
- 1 tsp ground cumin,
- ½ tsp salt
- Serving: Whole wheat pita bread, Thinly sliced radishes,Sesame seeds,Fresh herbs of choice
Pulse the beet and garlic into a food processor until it is finely minced. Add r hummus ingredients puree.Place in serving bowl. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pitas on a baking tray and warm for approximately 7 minutes, or until desired temperature. Remove from oven and slice into wedges. Serve with hummus, garnished with radishes, sesame seeds and herbs.
Featured photo credit: Pixabay via cdn.pixabay.com