Writing is something which may seem to come naturally to you at times. At other times, though, getting the words to flow can be like trying to walk through knee deep mud – slow, messy, and full of sludge. What do you do when you can’t seem to write with the passion and inspiration which you long to have? How do you handle it when the words won’t flow like you dream of? How about when you have been writing along, getting all your emotion and fluency out in the form of the written word, and all of a sudden you are at a standstill – unable to go any further?
It is no secret that every writer goes through times like the ones mentioned above. When it happens to you, though, it can feel like the most difficult mountain to overcome. Here are 5 tips to help you find inspiration for writing:
- Take your Time: Don’t rush yourself to produce anything. Allow yourself to work at a slow pace, reading over what you have so far every once in a while. Sometimes inspiration comes from allowing thoughts, your own writing, to sink in for a while. You may even want to take the time to revisit things you have written in the past. Look over some of your own work which has made you proud, given you an outlet for your happy place, and where you have expressed yourself well with the written word. Taking the time to do that will allow you to remind yourself that you really do have it in you. You really can express yourself well with the written word. You have what it takes, but every once in a while it may take a bit longer to let it surface.
- Brainstorm with Other Writers: This can be a great exercise to get those creative juices flowing. When you toss around ideas and share them with each other it allows you to view things from other perspectives, which may in turn allow you to express yourself in greater ways. If you don’t have any writer friends nearby, join a group online. There are plenty of forums, groups, and chat-rooms to join so you are surrounded by options in the writing community.
- Read, Read, Read: That’s right, the saying that in order to be a good writer you have to be a good reader is true. Not only that, but break away from the norm for you and read genres that you normally may not choose. You may be quite surprised at how that alone can inspire you.
- Learn the Most Powerful SEO Tactics: SEO is important, and by understanding it, you will learn how to not only write inspired, but to boost your blog or webpage and draw more visitors to what you write. Inspiration on the writing level as well as the profit level.
- Use a Writing Prompt: They can be found in many places, such as magazines, websites for writers, and even text books. Writing prompts come in many forms, from ideas of what to write about to story starters which the writer has to finish. They also come in many genres, romance, poetry, non-fiction, suspense, science fiction, and even children’s stories and more. The idea with writing prompts is to use them as an exercise to get the writer who is stuck, going again. It is supposed to inspire you, and allow you the freedom to express yourself in ways which will help you in the long run.
When it comes right down to it, there are many ways to achieve the inspiration to write. Choose a couple to get you going again, and before you know it you will be on your way to being a happy, productive, inspired, writer, once again.