Fruit infusions are the hottest cool thing out there this summer. Cucumber water is a thirst-quenching, vitamin and mineral containing, hydrating healthy drink that you should add to your routine today. (Not to mention cucumber itself is a superfood with plenty of benefits! You can find out more about its benefits here.)
In this article, you will learn about the great benefits of cucumber water, and at the end you will even learn about how to make your own tasty cucumber water (with our favorite recipes)!
Table of Contents
11 amazing health benefits of cucumber water
There are many reasons why cucumber water should be part of your day, but here are our favorites:
1. Fresh cucumbers equal fresh breath
The ancient science of Ayurveda cites excessive heat in the stomach as a cause of bad breath. Cucumbers are a cooling food, which can alleviate such issue. The extra water in cucumbers combined with the crunchy vegetable’s tendency to increase salivation strips odor-causing bacteria from your mouth.
2. Cucumber water helps you maintain a healthy weight
Low calorie and high fiber foods are a great way to curb your hunger and maintain healthy weight. One cup of cucumbers contains less than 20 calories, making cucumbers one of the lowest calorie snacks.
Sometimes, when we reach for a snack, what we really want is texture. Cucumbers have an amazing crunchy texture that could satisfy that craving without all the extra calories.
3. Cucumber water can protect your brain
Cucumbers contain an anti-inflammatory flavonol called fisetin. Fisetin keeps your brain healthier and younger, and studies even suggest that it helps Alzheimer’s patients maintain cognitive function for longer.
4. Cucumber has extra vitamins and minerals
For such a simple fruit, cucumbers have a surprising amount of nutritional benefit. One cucumber contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, and Vitamin C, as well as Magnesium and Calcium. Put that in your glass and drink it!
5. Cucumber can flush your body of toxins
Similar to other super foods, cucumbers contain the well known antioxidants, Vitamin C and beta-carotene. Cucumber water naturally flushes your body of toxins.
6. Cucumbers keep you hydrated
Overeating and sluggishness are often caused by dehydration, and in the summer heat, you need even more H2O to feel good.
Give your water intake a boost by drinking cucumber water. It’s so refreshing that you’ll never want to spend a hot summer day without it again.
7. Cucumber water supports heart health
Heart disease is the number one killer in America. A produce-rich diet is a great way to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Adding potassium-laden cucumbers to your diet can pave the way for a heart-healthy life.
8. Organic cucumbers can reduce your risk of cancer
Although cucumbers were ousted from the “Dirty Dozen” in 2017, they are the thirteenth most contaminated type of produce when they aren’t grown organically.  In this case, it’d be worthwhile to pick up organically grown cucumbers to reduce your risk of carcinogen exposure.
9. Cucumber water is good for your skin
The silica in cucumbers helps to prevent acne and other skin conditions. You may have seen people put cucumber slices over their eyes, but if you really want to get the full benefit of this fruit, add it to your water.
10. Cucumber enhances muscle and bone health
Cucumbers have a surprising amount of nutritional value. One cucumber contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, and Vitamin C, as well as magnesium and calcium.
Cucumbers are also rich in Vitamin K. Unpeeled cucumbers contain about 17 micrograms of Vitamin K per serving. When you lose the peel, you give up about half the Vitamin K content.
This humble little vitamin does quite a lot for our bodies. Vitamin K helps your blood clot, and it strengthens bones. Deficiencies of it can lead to osteoporosis and heart conditions.
Cucumbers also contain silica, a trace mineral that helps your body absorb calcium. If you don’t take in enough silica, your bones and connective tissues grow weaker over time.
11. Drinking cucumber water is a gateway to other healthy behavior
Developing a healthy habit or two can lead you to make healthier decisions in other aspects of your life.
Since I started drinking cucumber water, I’ve found myself munching on hemp hearts, upping my leafy green intake, and avoiding sugary drinks in favor of healthier options. Cucumber water can be part of a life-changing mindset-shift.
How to make cucumber water drinks
Cucumbers are one of those simple additions to your diet that can make a world of difference. I was blown away by how easy it was to make cucumber water, and how easy it is to pair cucumbers with other healthy produce.
Simple cucumber water recipe
You only need a few ingredients to make your very own pitcher of cucumber water.
- Filtered Water
- 2 Cucumbers with about half of the skin peeled off
- Thinly sliced lemon (optional)
- Mint (optional)
- Make sure to cut your cucumber slices consistently.
- Add them before the ice. By doing this, you’ll keep the cucumbers submerged in the water from the weight of the ice.
- Let the cucumber water chill for at least two hours in your refrigerator.
- Now sit back, relax, and enjoy your refreshing drink!
Cucumber lime water
Simple really is better. If you want your cucumber water to have a little more pizzazz, give this recipe a try.
- Filtered water
- 1 cucumber cut into half-inch slices (peeled or unpeeled, depending on your preference)
- 1/2 thinly sliced lime
- Cut your cucumber into half-inch slices and place them into a drinking vessel of your choosing. You can take the peel off, or leave it on if you’re trying to get a Vitamin K boost.
- Thinly slice half of a lime and add it to your large cup or pitcher.
- Add ice, and pour cold, filtered water on top of the mixture. Nothing says cool and refreshing like this combo.
Pineapple cucumber water
This combination will make you feel like you’re on vacation!
- Filtered water
- 1/2 fresh pineapple cut into chunks (can also use a 20 oz can of pineapple chunks)
- 1⁄3 cup, fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 thinly sliced cucumber, peeled
- 1/2 cup ice
- Add the pineapple, cucumber and mint to your pitcher first. Include the ice next.
- Then, fill your pitcher to the brim with cold water.
- Imagine yourself relaxing on a sunny beach in the tropics.
|||^||Mercola: 9 Health Benefits of Cucumbers|
|||^||Real Simple: Doctor Approved Treatments for Bad Breath|
|||^||Huffpost: 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Cucumbers|
|||^||Bembu: 8 Great Benefits of Drinking Cucumber Water (+5 Recipes)|
|||^||The Heart Foundation: Heart Disease Scope and Impact|
|||^||EWG: All 48 Fruits and Vegetables With Pesticide Residue Data|
|||^||Live Strong: Peeled Cucumbers and Vitamin K|
|||^||National Institutes of Health: Vitamin K|
|||^||Save Institute: The Incredible, Crunchable Cucumber|