Remember those colorful plastic blocks that nestled into each other with a satisfying click? Maybe you even have a pail of them still hanging around? You can use Legos as an adult and have as much fun as when you were a kid with this list of creative and practical ways to use Legos for household fixes, entertaining, and design solutions. Where possible, I’ve included links to which Lego kits you’ll need, and instructions for how to do your own creative Lego build.
1. Creative Wall Art
How to: Pairing Ikea RIBBA box frames with Lego from the Lego Architecture Range.
2. Game of Chess
How to: See a basic tutorial here.
3. Mountain Train Book Ends
How to: If you ask nicely, this creative man may give you a few pointers.
4. Character Clock
5. Multi-Colored Mirror
6. Stuck In Rows Blocks – Super Mario Style Planter
7. Lion Hearted Light Switch
How to: Assuming that this basic design is your starting point, research what Lego sets or parts you may need and let your imagination run!
8. Click Art Flowers
How to: Try this simpler version for a start, then add your own flair.
9. Slide Lock Coaster Set
9. Light Stories Lamp
How to: Lamp socket and cord sold separately, for the rest you can try this.
10. Connect-a-lot Knife Block
11. Amazing Angles For Fish
Photo courtesy of Amy Ratcliffe http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/the-best-aquarium-is-a-lego-super-mario-bros-aquarium/
How to: Give this youtube video tutorial a try.
12. Underwater Station Air Pump Cover
It kind of looks like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but it is actually a cleverly designed air pump cover. The “How” of it is a mystery. Drop me a line if you find a good tutorial for it!
13. Lock(et) and Chin Dog Tags
14. Darling Purple and Blue Earrings
15. Quick Fix Cuff links
16. Colorful Favors Party Rings
17. Green and Blue For You Bracelet
18. Piano In the Key of Lego Jewelry Box
19. Plastic Puzzle Gift Box
20. In Case of (Lego) Emergency Break Glass Box
The author of this design notes that the item inside is a Lego sorting tool.
21. White Tiled Toilet
I do not know if it was ever really used, but I can imagine your guest’s surprise if you put one next to, or in front of, your own toilet.
22. Superhero Key Keeper
23. Make Your Own Microscope
Why buy when you can build one for yourself? And, yes, this is a working model.
24. Keep It Straight Lego Sorting System
25. On The Go Play Wall Repair
This phenomenon is a very real thing in Europe where ordinary citizens are participating in keeping the crumbling walls of very old places together using Lego. It is not known if they used glue or mortar.
26. Brilliant Bookshelf
Lego shelf made from… Legos.
27. Not Just Kidding – A Train
For kids of all sizes and ages, I present to you a working Lego train set complete with tracks and all sorts of accessories, like Lego-built cars.
28. Double Puzzle Play House
29. Bathroom Art Harry Potter
30. For Halloween Howls (or medical school graduation day) Lego Syringe
31. Bob Business Card Holder
32. Lego Loom Knitting Machine
33. Natty Napkin Holder
34. Silly Silverware Holder
35: Cool Cake Platter
36. Light and Fun Lego Kitchen Island
37. Smart Looking Lego Snowman
38. Spelled Right Lego Letters Room Decor
39. Crafty Christmas Tree
40. Best Birthday Cake
Featured photo credit: FonthipWard via pixabay.com