Thank you for printing our article. Explore Lifehack for similar articles to help you improve your life.
30 Clever Uses For Coconut Oil You Probably Don't Know
Coconut oil is one of the biggest crazes in recent years. Health nuts and DIY gurus have come up with infinite ways to use this versatile oil in our daily lives. Here are some of the most innovative uses for coconut oil you can’t miss!Coconut oil is one of the biggest crazes in recent years. Health nuts and DIY gurus have come up with infinite ways to use this versatile oil in our daily lives. Here are some of the most innovative uses for coconut oil you can’t miss!
1. It gets rid of your dark circles and puffy eye bags!
Who likes swollen eyes in the morning? No one. Pat your dark circles and eye bags with a thin layer of coconut oil to look more awake.
2. You can also say bye to your wrinkles.
Similar to removing dark circles, rub a tiny bit of coconut oil twice a day to reduce your fine lines.
3. Use it to make toothpaste.
Let’s be honest, you probably don’t know what kind of chemicals are in the toothpaste you’re using. Mix coconut oil and baking soda into a paste to create your organic toothpaste.
Coconut oil + baking soda = toothpaste.
4. Use it to make pure coconut oil soap.
I’ll admit, as a person with skin allergies, it is difficult to find soaps that don’t cause irritation to the skin. But a soap bar without chemicals, but only coconut oil, is certainly the most soothing to the skin. You can follow this recipe to make your own soap bar (it also comes with a laundry soap tutorial!).
5. Replace your shampoo with coconut oil.
Use coconut oil with apple cider vinegar to wash your hair. This method prevents hair discoloration and dullness. You can also apply coconut oil as a hair mask or conditioner after shampooing.
6. De-frizz and de-tangle your hair.
For those with thicker, coarser hair, apply a thin layer of coconut oil to the bottom couple inches of your hair to leave your hair shiny and soft. Coconut oil helps to coat your hair from moisture and smoothens your hair. It also helps with your split ends!
7. It works well as a lotion too.
We all know the moisturizing function of coconut oil. Rub it on your skin after your shower can instantly rejuvenate the skin.
8. Substitute your creamer with coconut oil.
Who doesn’t love a cup of coffee early in the morning? Coconut oil is a healthy alternatives to high calorie creamer. It’s time to say bye-bye to dairy and sugar and kickstart your day with coconut oil. Here’s how.
It (right) works as well as other creamers (left).
9. Say hello to a healthier butter on your toast.
Coconut oil is much healthier than butter or lard, and it boosts energy tremendously. Spread some coconut oil on your toast for a tasty morning snack.
10. Also, make your mayo with it.
Mayonnaise is delicious, but what’s better? A healthier version. I promise it won’t disappoint you.
11. Use it to “season” your cast iron.
In case you don’t know, cast iron pans are not non-stick. You need to “season” — coat the cast iron surface — before cooking. Most people use lard, which it is high in bad fats, so sub it out with the healthier coconut oil.
12. It’s great for cooking too!
If you’re tired of using vegetable oil, olive oil, or butter, you can use coconut oil. It’s great for baking, stir fry, and pretty much any kind of cooking.
13. Apply it as deodorant before you head out.
Most of us can’t live without deodorant, especially in those sunny summer days. Use coconut oil as a base and mix with other non-toxic ingredients to reduce your odor after your sweat.
14. Use it as sunscreen as well.
For those who are easily sunburnt, this is great news for you. Apply a coat of coconut oil (it has an SPF of 4-6) in between your re-application of sunscreens. It also hydrates to reduce the chances of getting burned.
15. Replace your chapstick.
I’ve mentioned the moisturizing function of coconut oil couple times here. Simply rub some coconut oil on your chapped lips to help heal.
16. Make your own coconut oil bug-repellent bars!
Conventional bug sprays are full of chemicals to drive bugs away. Chances are they’re probably bad for you too. Try to keep bugs away with your own organic and natural repellents.
17. Use it to DIY your scented candle.
Lately, homemade candle tutorials are everywhere. And of course, you guessed it, coconut oil is one of the ingredients. You can also customize the aroma you want!
18. Remove your make-up with it.
Ladies, after a long day, what’s better to remove your make-up and hydrate your skin at the same time? You just need a teaspoon (or else) and warm water to rinse your face. Here are more hacks on this coconut oil make-up remover.
19. It helps wounds to recover faster.
Coconut oil is anti-flammatory and it helps to sooth sunburns, rashes, cuts, and even arthritis. Rub it on your wounds or joints to relieve pain and itch.
20. Use it create your exfoliating body scrub.
This is a really easy recipe — mix coconut oil, sugar, and some essential oils together. Then grab your favorite loofah and buff your skin to soft perfection. This is probably cheaper than most body scrubs.
Coconut oil and sugar. As simple as that.
21. It works well for your foot too.
Coconut oil is also anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. If you have athlete’s foot, fungal infection, or a crack heel. Apply coconut oil to get rid of fungus and salve those dryness.
22. You can have your personal manicure sessions with it.
Another great use of coconut oil is for your nails. Apply it on your finger beds and cuticle to help your nails grow better. It also reduces the risks of coming into contact with bacteria or viruses in manicure salons.
23. Use it as shaving cream.
You can do this in two different ways. You can either use regular coconut oil on your body to get a closer shave or actually follow this recipe to make your own shaving cream.
24. Create your own massage oils.
Coconut oil provides great lubrication. Depend on your liking, mix in some essential oils or fragrances. Warm it up a bit and you’re ready to massage!
25. Take it as a health supplement.
Take a teaspoon of coconut oil every day gives you the good fats you need.
26. It helps your digestive system.
Coconut oil is very easy to digest, and it contains compounds destroy bad bacteria and promote growth of probiotics.
27. It may improve your thyroid function as well.
Although there isn’t an absolute conclusion by researchers1 on how coconut oil directly improves our thyroid functions, it looks like a good idea to try!
28. It is a really great lubricant.
You don’t always need WD-40 to smooth your bike chains and door hingers, coconut oil does the job as good as other lubricants.
29. Use it to shine leather.
Anything leather needs a bit of polish and repair time after time. You can use coconut oil on your leather shoes, belts, boots, or even the inside of your car (dashboard and seats). Rub it in a circular motion to give it a shine and prevent cracked leather.
30. It also conditions your wooden household items.
Whether it’s your wooden salad spoons or your best wooden rocking chair, apply coconut oil liberally and let it soak into the wood. This will help prevent rot, wear and tear, and the oil can also clean the wood after treatment.
Still want more useful suggestions of coconut oil? Let me give you 4 bonus uses!
- Start a campfire with it. Most oils are flammable (that’s why there is such a thing as grease fires…oops) and coconut oil is one of them. If you’re out camping and you have some coconut oil on you, just soak some kindling or some cotton balls in coconut oil and watch it light right up. This works as good as lighter fluid and is safer for the environment.
- Use it to avoid chlorine exposure when swimming. Coconut oil provides a layer of physical barrier for our skin, to reduce irritation and allergies from chlorine.
- Evidences show coconut oil treats yeast infections. Believe it or not, studies2 have shown the oil kills a species of yeast. Click here to find out more.
- You can use it on your pets too! If your dog is having skin issues like atopic dermatitis, coconut oil can relieve the itchiness and hydrate the dry skin. Also, it helps the digestive systems of animals too.
I hope you look at coconut oil in a whole new light after this article. It works well from head to toe, any day, anytime, anywhere. Do you have a favorite coconut oil recipe by now? Let us know!
© 2005 - 2018 Lifehack · All Rights Reserved.