More and more evidence confirms that an aid to treating anxiety is Essential oils. Essential oils are oils from sweet smelling plant sources like roses, lavender or jasmine. These oils can enhance your mood and well-being in many ways. Recently it has been found that if you are feeling stressed or particularly anxious, the aromas of oils can actually calm you and your mind. Although this news might surprise you, in reality this idea is nothing new.
The practise of Aromatheraphy in mental health has been around for centuries and guess what: it actually works! The good thing about essential oil treatment is that you can do it yourself in your house whenever you want. Of course there are some rules: never use more than a few drops and be careful when you are using candles. The rest, though, is easy and harmless. If you have been thinking about using oils to ease your anxiety, we will be looking at some of the most commonly used oils to treat anxiety here to get you started.
How Do You Use These Oils?
You can use the oils in the bath, or by putting a few drops on your pillow for nightly healing. But the best way to reap their full benefit is using a diffuser. This is why the first thing you’ll need to do when you start using Essential Oils is to find the right diffuser. There are many different kind of diffusers and you have to find the one is right for you and your needs.
Which Oil Is Right For Me?
To help you on your search we now look at a few aromas known for their calming influence:
- Lavender: Its calming and gentle aroma helps relax even the most anxious of minds. Lavender is, in fact, the number one calming essence. Its special calming qualities are so legendary that there has even been medical research to learn more about its aid in calming the heart and mind. This oil is the best in extreme panic and stress.
- Rose: Second only after lavender in its healing properties. Not only calming but also uplifting. This one is the best one to choose if you need to calm down but also focus. A good scent to use for an uplifting bath as well.
- Jasmine: Do you have a lot to do but feel too anxious to start? Do you have to go out but feel a bit nervous about it? If so, then this oil is the one for you. It gives you a happy vibe and a ready focus to go out and do what needs to be done. Ideal to get in the mood for a party or some other happy gathering.
- Cedar Wood: calms the mind and also treats any muscle tension that has been caused by anxiety. It also aids your sleep and lets you wake up happy and alert. Put some drops onto your pillow before you go to bed. If you have stress sinus problems this is the ideal oil to diffuse in your bedroom. (As a bonus it also wards off moths and several other summertime insects.)
- Sandalwood: This oil harmonizes the mind and brings mental clarity, it helps scare away fears and is mildly sedative. It also helps positive visualization and concentration.
The reason why it is so hard to find the right oil is because there are many different options available. Almost all essential oils are beneficial, but only some are suited to treat stress and anxiety.
Do a good and thorough search to oils that are proven to help. When you find the ones that are right for your problem there is still one more decision to make: which essence do you like best? This is important – if a smell doesn’t appeal or connect then the whole thing just doesn’t work, as an annoying smell won’t calm you. As you can see, these oils all have their own special qualities. It is up to you to find the one that is right for you.
Featured photo credit: CC0 Public Domain via pixabay.com