If you have studied psychology or human resources management subjects, you may come across Maslow’s self actualization study. Maslow theory argues that psychologically humans will seek for their attainment from very basic needs and work towards to self actualization. The basic needs are physiological needs, then safely & security, followed by belonging and lastly self-esteem. Maslow theory says when the four basic needs have been satisfied, the growth need or self-actualization need arises: A new discontent and restlessness will develop unless the individual is doing what he individually is fitted for. A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write–in short, what people can be they must be.. Once you reach to self-actualization, you will more accept yourself, more realistic and logical, and more motivated.
How to drive yourself to self-actualization? Quote from the article:
1. Experience things fully, vividly, selflessly. Throw yourself into the experiencing of something: concentrate on it fully, let it totally absorb you.
2. Life is an ongoing process of choosing between safety (out of fear and need for defense) and risk (for the sake of progress and growth): Make the growth choice a dozen times a day.
3. Let the self emerge. Try to shut out the external clues as to what you should think, feel, say, and so on, and let your experience enable you to say what you truly feel.
4. When in doubt, be honest. If you look into yourself and are honest, you will also take responsibility. Taking responsibility is self-actualizing.
5. Listen to your own tastes. Be prepared to be unpopular.
6. Use your intelligence, work to do well the things you want to do, no matter how insignificant they seem to be.
7. Make peak experiencing more likely: get rid of illusions and false notions. Learn what you are good at and what your potentialities are not.
8. Find out who you are, what you are, what you like and don’t like, what is good and what is bad for you, where you are going, what your mission is. Opening yourself up to yourself in this way means identifying defenses–and then finding the courage to give them up.
Do you agree? What are your views on self-actualization?
Maslow Self Actualization – [psikoloji.fisek.com.tr]