Those of you familiar with my writing (or who have spoken with me for more than 2 minutes) already know that I’m a little obsessed with cheese. And by “a little” I mean “will probably name my first child ‘Camembert.'” As such, there are very few things I take more pleasure in than a grilled cheese sandwich. Some poor, misguided people think that this is a relatively boring thing to get excited about. Clearly, they’ve never tried getting decadent with their cheesy creations.
Here are just a few ideas on how you can make your next grilled cheese the meal of a lifetime.
1. Persimmon, Prosciutto and Brie Grilled Cheese
This is a match made in heaven. Both prosciutto and brie work beautifully with sweet, fruity flavours, which makes it the perfect match for persimmons. You could also switch them out for a quince paste or something similar.
2. Taco Grilled Cheese
Yes, we Mexi-CAN! The only thing wrong with this is the distinct lack of taco shells between the bread. I would definitely add them, and maybe a few corn chips. I’m not even close to joking.
3. Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese
A simple variation, but a fresh and delicious one. This can be made all the better if you grow your own herbs.
4. Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese
Pasta and bread, together at last!
5. Lasagna Grilled Cheese
If the mac and cheese sandwich was too dull for you, smash some lasagna on your grilled cheese like the champion you are. Admittedly, it’s more like a ‘lasagna flavoured’ grilled cheese, but I encourage you to just use some leftovers instead. I don’t think an ordinary sandwich loaf would cut it though. You’re going to need a bigger bread boat.
6. Double Bacon Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese
Why choose between and sandwich and a burger when you can have the best of both worlds? I’m legitimately drooling right now.
7. Short Rib Grilled Cheese
I was drooling before, but now I have a river escaping my mouth. I think I may need to build an ark. Succulent ribs with melted cheese–can life get any better?
8. Chipotle Chicken Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
Chipotle is so tasty. Recently, it feels like I’ve been adding it to everything so, naturally, I highly approve of its addition to grilled cheese.
9. Roast Turkey, Cranberry and Brie Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
You no longer have to wonder about using up all of those Thanksgiving leftovers!
10. Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, and Muenster Grilled Cheese on Soft Pretzel
This one’s for those of you who love tasty, tasty German food.
11. Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Bacon, cheese, and avocado together is the best combination.
12. BBQ Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese
Sweet and tangy slow-cooked pork mixed with cheese? Can I get a “Hell, yeah”?
13. Jalapeno Popper Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
Once you pop, you can’t stop.
14. French Onion Soup Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
Taking the best part of French onion soup, and shoving it between some bread, is nothing short of pure genius.
15. Baked Potato Grilled Cheese
This recipe exists because grilled cheese obviously needs even more carbs.
16. Philly Cheesesteak Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
Please excuse me while I pass out from flavour overload.
17. Vegetarian Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
Because grilled cheese doesn’t require meat to be delicious.
18. Dulche de Leche and Mascarpone Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
didn’t think that grilled cheese was confined to the realms of lunch and dinner, did you? This gorgeous caramel sensation will blow your mind, as well as make the perfect dessert, or even breakfast.
19. Dark Chocolate, Raspberry and Brie Grilled CheeseRecipe Source
Are you more of a chocolate fan?
20. Brie and Blueberry Waffle Grilled Cheese
Yeah, you did just read that correctly. Who needs bread when you can use waffles!? I would also recommend bagels, as an alternative.