Camping can be hard work, but it’s the preparation that’s even harder. There are usually a lot of things to do in order to make sure that you and your family or friends have the perfect camping experience. But sometimes you might get to your destination and discover that you have left out one or more crucial things.
There is no dispute that preparation and organization for a camping trip can be quite overwhelming, but if it is done right, you would see at the end of the day, that it was worth the stress. This is why it is important to ensure optimum planning and execution. For this to be possible, it is advised that in addition to a to-do-list, you should have a camping checklist to remind you of every important detail.
Why You Should Have a Camping Checklist
Creating a camping checklist makes for a happy and always ready camper. It also prevents mishaps. A proper camping checklist should include every essential thing you would need for your camping activities, organized into various categories such as shelter, clothing, kitchen, food, personal items, first aid kit, informational items, etc. These categories should be organized by importance. However, it is important that you should not list more than you can handle or more than is necessary for your outdoor adventure.
Camping checklists vary depending on the kind of camping and outdoor activities involved. You should not go on the internet and compile a list of just any camping checklist. Of course, you can research camping checklists, but you have to put into consideration the kind of camping you are doing. It could be backpacking, camping with kids, canoe camping, social camping, etc. You have to be specific and take note of those things that are specifically important to your trip, and those things which are generally needed in all camping trips no matter the kind of camping being embarked on.
Here are some tips to help you prepare for your next camping trip.
- First off, you must have found the perfect campground that best suits your outdoor adventure. If you haven’t, then you should. Sites like Reserve America can help you find and reserve a campsite.
- Find or create a good camping checklist that would best suit your kind of camping adventure.
- Make sure the whole family is involved in making out the camping check list or downloading a proper checklist that reflects the families need and ticking off the boxes of already accomplished tasks.
- You should make out or download a proper checklist months ahead of your trip to make room for adjustments and to avoid too much excitement and the addition of unnecessary things.
- Checkout Camping Hacks that would make for a more fun camping experience and prepare you for different situations.
Now on to the checklist!
Here is how your checklist should look
1. CAMPSITE GEAR
- Tent, poles, stakes
- Tent footprint (ground cover for under your tent)
- Extra tarp or canopy
- Sleeping bag for each camper
- Sleeping pad for each camper
- Repair kit for pads, mattress, tent, tarp
- Extra blankets
- Headlamps or flashlights ( with extra batteries)
- Lantern fuel or batteries
- Fuel for stove
- Matches or lighter
- French press or portable coffee maker
- Roasting sticks for marshmallows, hot dogs
- Food-storage containers
- Trash bags
- Water bottles
- Plates, bowls, forks, spoons, knives
- Cups, mugs
- Paring knife, spatula, cooking spoon
- Cutting board
- Sponge, dishcloth, dishtowel
- Paper towels
- Extra bin for washing dishes
- Clothes for daytime
- Shoes: hiking/walking shoes, easy-on shoes, water shoes
- Extra layers for warmth
4. PERSONAL ITEMS
- Insect repellent
- First-aid kit
- Prescription medications
- Toothbrush, toiletries
5. OTHER ITEMS
- Campsite reservation confirmation, phone number
- Maps, area information
This list is not completely exhaustive. To make things easier, you can check specialized camping sites like RealSimple, RainyAdventures, and LoveTheOutdoors that have downloadable camping checklists that you can download on your phone or gadget and check as you go.
Featured photo credit: Nova Scotia via novascotia.com