Bone broth sure sounds like that awful soup your mum forced you to eat along with boiled vegetables when you were little. But, when you learn more about its many health benefits, you’ll be quick to include bone broth in your diet .
There’s actually a Mexican urban legend about a lady who used to maltreat her step-kids and feed them with bone broth and save the wholesome meat, bones and vegetables for her biological children, as she believed she was providing them with the best and healthiest food. But of course, the funny thing was that the step-kids were always healthy, energetic and full of life, even as her real kids remained skinny, lethargic and unhealthy. This goes on to show how important bone broth is for a balanced diet.
From reducing joint pain to improving digestion and even curing inflammation, bone broth has numerous health benefits. Here are some of them.
Health Benefits of Bone Broth
1. It fights infections: This is your ultimate solution to those annoying common colds. As per this study, chicken soup can indeed mitigate infection and fight off flu viruses.
2. It reduces inflammation and joint pain: Do you complain of arthritis? A soup a day is sure to keep the pain away. The glucosamine in the bone broth actually stimulates the growth of new collagen which reduces pain and helps to repair damaged joints. Also, according to this study, the arginine helps to treat inflammation.
3. It helps in the formation, growth and repair of bones: As bone broth is rich in nutrients like calcium, magnesium and phosphorus- all of which are crucial in the healthy functioning of our bones.
4. It improves digestion: The gelatin in the broth acts as a hydrophilic colloid that aids the digestive juices. It also plays an important role in protecting the mucosal line of the digestive tract.
5. It has a calming effect on the body: Bone broth contains an amino acid glycine which has a soothing effect of the body, promoting better sleep and peace of mind.
6. It is healthier than supplements: Homemade broth has more nutrients than the ones found in special pills and slow cooking helps to preserve them further.
7. It is your key to gorgeous skin, nails and hair: The collagen and gelatin promote hair growth, strong nails and healthier skin.
A Quick and Easy Chicken Broth recipe
It is super easy to make: You don’t need to have amazing cooking skills to get this one right. Just follow the steps and you’ll have a delectable and healthy meal ready in no time. Plus, as it’s very easy to make, you can even teach your children to make it.
It will save you a lot of money: Homemade broth is way cheaper than the soups sold in stores. Plus it is more healthier as it’s completely free of preservatives.
- 1 whole free-range chicken or 2 to 3 pounds of bony chicken parts, such as necks, backs, breastbones, and wings
- Gizzards from one chicken (optional)
- 2-4 chicken feet (optional)
- 4 quarts cold filtered water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley
Directions: Add all the ingredients (except the parsley) into a crockpot filled with pure and filtered water. Once it starts boiling, remove the scum that rises to the top. Then cook it on low heat and let it simmer for 24 hours. Add the parsley 10 minutes before finishing the stock. Once it’s ready, remove the bones and strain it to your favourite bowl. Remember to add the vinegar as this leaches the nutrients from the bones into the soup water.
Bone broth is the ultimate ingredient to kick start your diet for a better, healthier life. As an old South American proverb goes, ‘Good broth will resurrect the dead’.
Featured photo credit: VIKTOR HANACEK via picjumbo.com