Avocados are amazingly nutritious. Packed full of vitamins and high in healthy fats, eating avocados are a good source of nourishment as part of a healthy diet. However, its health benefits aren’t just restricted to inside our bodies—using avocado on the skin can be hugely beneficial as its key ingredients give your skin an added boost.
The oil in avocados acts as a natural moisturizer, and together with protein, potassium and vitamins A, B, D and E, these act as the perfect skin replenishers for all types of skin, from those suffering with acne to more mature skin.
The best way to use avocados is to use them in the form of face masks which are easy, cheap, and effective to make at home. Mix avocado together with other natural ingredients and you have a lot of great avocado face masks that you can try that will leave your face soft, smooth, and glowing. Here are 5 great yet simple avocado face masks that you can try at home (just try not to eat them before using!)
If you want to get the most out of this superfood, don’t forget to read these related articles:
Simple avocado face mask
Avocado on its own has so many great benefits for the skin. The oil acts as a natural moisturizer similar to coconut oil and Argan oil so it soaks gently in and is great in softening and smoothing wrinkles. The vitamin E adds more nutritious value to your skin, so just using it on its own can create a really simple and effective face mask.
- Use half a ripe avocado and mash it up into a bowl so it forms a smooth pulp.
- Carefully apply it to clean skin and leave for 10–20 minutes.
- Clean off with a damp cloth using warm water.
Avocado and honey face mask
This is a great classic face mask using avocado and honey. Honey is wonderful for your skin as it contains anti-bacterial properties that help with acne as well as boosting complexion. It also carries anti-oxidants that are beneficial in slowing down the ageing process so it’s great for mature skin. Combine this with avocado and you have a beautiful face mask that you can use regularly to give your skin a boost.
- Get half a ripe avocado and mash it up into a bowl.
- Add half a tablespoon of honey (preferably raw but a good organic one will do the trick).
- Mix the two together until it forms a paste.
- Apply it to clean skin and leave for 15–20 minutes.
- Clean off with warm water and pat the face gently with a towel.
Avocado and egg white face mask
Egg white is a wonder for the skin. It helps remove excess oil so if you’re prone to an oily face and acne then this face mask will help fight the spots and prevent blackheads. It also softens and smooths skin and has been known to lift sagging skin around the cheeks as the egg white will tighten as it dries. You will find it quite messy and slightly harder to remove so it’s advised to use this mask before having a shower to make it easier.
- Mix half a ripe, mashed avocado with the white of one egg.
- Apply the mixture to clean skin starting at the bottom of the face and working up.
- Leave on for 15–20 minutes, preferably lie down while it dries as the tightening of the mask will pull your skin down if standing.
- Clean off gently yet thouroughly with warm water (best done in the shower).
Avocado and oatmeal exfoliating face mask
Oatmeal is a great exfoliator getting rid of excess oils and dead skin on the face—what’s better is it’s natural and cheap to make. Teamed with avocado this makes a wonderful all-round face mask that can be used on dry skin. While the oatmeal soaks up and removes sebum, the avocado adds needed moisture and nourishment. This is a great combination that you can use regularly in your beauty regime.
- Add half a ripe avocado with half tablespoon of oatmeal.
- Mix together thoroughly and apply to a clean face in gentle circular motions to give yourself an exfoliation.
- Continue to leave the mixture on for 15–20 minutes.
- Clean off gently with warm water and pat your face dry.
Avocado and yogurt face mask
Using yogurt on the skin means you get even more moisture for your buck. Acne-prone skin will benefit from this mask as the lactic acid in the yogurt kills any bacteria and the acid also helps even out the pH balance of your skin.
- With half a ripe and mashed avocado add in a tablespoon of plain, organic yogurt.
- Mix together and apply to a clean face.
- Leave on for 15–20 minutes.
- Gently wash off with warm water and splash on some cold water to close any pores (particularly good for acned skin).
Of course you can add any combination of these ingredients to experiment with your own avocado face mask and can be a great addition to your usual beauty regime. Using these masks at least once a week will improve and nourish your skin greatly so if you have an avocado or two hanging about then try something different with them today.
Featured photo credit: Kerdkanno via shutterstock.com