Canker sores are small but powerful annoyances that will make anyone feel grateful for a pain-free mouth once they are gone. While there are no known exact causes of these sores, they seem to be brought on by factors such as stress, food allergies and sensitivities, weakened immune systems, viral infections, and smoking. They usually last about a week, but because of the irritation and pain that comes with canker sores, people are always looking for a fast cure. Good news, there are some quick fixes that you probably have in your kitchen or medicine cabinet already.
1. Aloe Vera’s Healing Properties Will Help
Aloe vera is a wonderful, anti-inflammatory, healing plant that will help all kinds of wounds and sores, including canker sores. If you have access to an aloe vera plant, cut a leaf and squeeze the gel out into a cup. Otherwise, you should use organic, aloe vera gel or juice.
- With straight from the leaf aloe gel, apply to the sore as many times per day as you can
- With organic aloe juice or gel, use as a mouthwash and rinse 3 times per day
2. Coconut Oil’s Antibacterial Properties Will Get Rid of Canker Sores
This oil is antifungal and antibacterial, which makes it an effective treatment for canker sores. Try to find organic, extra virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil, as this will be more effective.
- Apply coconut oil to the sore several times per day with a clean cotton ball or a clean finger
- Rinse your mouth for 15 minutes, twice per day using 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
3. Coriander From Your Kitchen Cupboard
An unexpected treatment for canker sores, coriander is an easy fix because most people already have this anti-inflammatory spice in their kitchen cupboards.
- If you have coriander leaves on hand, boil a few of them in 8 ounces of water and strain
- After water is cooled to lukewarm, gargle with it 4 times per day
- If you have coriander seeds in your cupboard, boil 8 ounces of water and pour 1 teaspoon of seeds into the water
- Let this sit for a day, strain and gargle with the water 4 times per day
4. Get Rid of Canker Sores with Tea Tree Oil
This essential oil is a superstar with powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties that will heal many ailments similiar to canker sores. Make sure you find 100% natural and pure tea tree oil for the best results.
- Put a half tablespoon of filtered water into a small, clean container
- Add 2 drops of tea tree oil
- Apply to the sore 3 times per day
- You can also add 10 drops of oil to 8 ounces of filtered water and use as a mouthwash up to 4 times per day
5. Numb the Pain with Cayenne Pepper
Almost everyone has cayenne pepper in the kitchen, making this one of the easier and cheaper ways to get rid of canker sores. If you try this one, make sure you avoid touching your tongue with the pepper. It will numb the pain of the canker sore, but not your taste buds!
- Make a paste with cayenne pepper and water and make sure it is mixed well
- Apply a small amount to the canker sore, taking care to avoid the rest of the mouth
- You may experience a little irritation from the pepper, but it won’t last very long
- Repeat no more than twice per day
6. Honey is a Superfood and Super-healer
If you have raw honey, use it for this treatment, but if you can only find regular, liquiid honey, it will also be effective at removing your canker sores. Honey is filled with vitamins and minerals and its antiseptic properties will help to heal your canker sore.
- Prepare for a little more pain, but keep the end goal in mind
- Apply up to 1 teaspoon of either raw or liquid honey on and around the canker sore
- Let it sit for a few minutes (the extra pain won’t last the entire time)
- Rinse the honey out of your mouth with lukewarm water and repeat twice per day
7. Baking Soda Will Eliminate Canker Sores
This common baking ingredient is very affordable and common in kitchens around the world. You can use baking soda to treat a variety of ailments, and it is very effective for getting rid of canker sores because of its ability to neutralize acidity.
- Add one teaspoon of baking soda to a clean container and mix in filtered water to make a paste
- Mix well and apply to the canker sore with a cotton ball or your finger
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water
- Repeat 4 times a day
8. Rinse With Salt Water
This is definitely the cheapest and easiest treatment for canker sores. Most households always have salt on hand, and it is even better if you have sea salt or Himalayan salt. Salt will extract fluid from your canker sore and help it to heal faster.
- Stir a half teaspoon of salt into a quarter cup of warm water
- Gargle with the salt water, making sure to keep it on your canker sore
- Repeat 4 times per day
9. Try Sage to Get Rid of Canker Sores
Sage is an aromatic herb, commonly used when cooking chicken or turkey. It can also be used to eliminate canker sores, because it has the ability to relieve the pain and inflammation associated with canker sores. You can use ground sage or sage leaves.
- Mix 2 cups of boiling water with 3 teaspoons of sage leaves
- Let the mixture sit for until lukewarm and then strain
- Rinse your mouth with the water up to 4 times per day
- You can also put a little ground sage on the sore and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing
- Repeat 4 times per day
10. Clove Oil – Not So Common, But Effective
Essential oils have been growing in popularity because of their healing properties. Clove oil is a very effective essential oil for healing canker sores and relieving pain. Dentists used it for years to alleviate pain experienced by patients.
- Add 4 drops of clove oil to a half teaspoon of olive oil or melted coconut oil
- Clean your mouth by rinsing with warm water
- Soak a cotton ball with the oil mixture and apply to the canker sore for 5 minutes
- Repeat twice per day
Featured photo credit: NanD_PhanuwatTH via shutterstock.com