Gaming on computers and game systems is increasing in popularity. The games that people are playing today are very different from what they were so many years ago. In the old days of gaming a person had to use a gaming system so they could see a ball bouncing back and forth on the television screen. Arcade games gave people a lot more to play with, but they were still stand alone machines.
The gamers of today are playing on game systems that are connected to the internet or that are on their computers and connected to the internet. Because they are connected to the internet, the gamer and their computer system can sometimes be put at risk. Viruses, malware and other problems can be caused if a gamer does not know how to play the games safely. Instead of playing a game that puts your computer and all of the information stored on it at risk, it is better to learn a few tips that will help you safely play the games you love.
Tips to Protect Your System
The first step a person needs to do is to protect their computer systems. Tools for the systems and the games can be the first line of defense for any gamer.
- Security software – Anyone that is using their computer and surfing the internet without antivirus protection is asking for trouble. A good antivirus software program can block malware and can detect viruses before they can do any damage. They are like the shield that gamers use in combat games. The better the security software, the safer the gaming experience will be.
- Only play at trusted sites – The general rule when surfing the internet is to only go to sites you can trust. The same holds true when gaming. If you are not familiar with a site, take some time to find out if it is safe before you begin playing. Watch out for suspicious activity and if you see anything that you suspect is trouble, stop playing.
Tips to protect the gamer
Many people that are playing games online are predators. They do not care about the game, they want to find someone to take advantage of. It is important for a gamer to protect themselves with these tips.
- Gaming Tools – Many of the games that allow people to interact with others also have tools that can be used to protect the gamer. Muting, blocking, deleting or reporting another gamer that is being aggressive or inappropriate is a great way to make sure you have a safe gaming experience.
- Don’t Share Personal Information – Gamers that create online identities should avoid providing any personal information; that includes their name, addresses, age, pictures, passwords and other key forms of private information. If people are asking for these things, it is best to take a step back and think about why they would need it and how they could use it.
- Be Careful about making in-app purchases – Gaming sites make money by selling things in the app. From extra lives to extra firepower, there is almost no limit to what can be purchased for some games. It is easy to spend a lot of money on these purchases. It also may require providing private information such as a credit card number. It is best to think about gaming purchase carefully if you want to practice safe gaming.
Gaming is supposed to be a fun experience. It is something that millions of people of all ages are taking advantage of. It is also something that can end up creating many problems if the gamer does not know how to game safely.
The tips above can help keep a gamer safer. They do have limits and they do require certain things to happen.
- They have to be turned on – Antivirus software and the tools of the game can help keep the gamer safe, but only if they are turned on and in use.
- They have to be updated – Hackers are always finding ways around the protection. Security software companies are always updating their programs to keep up with the hackers.
- They require a person to think – A gamer may get so wrapped up in their game, they forget to take the steps they need to make sure they are gaming safely. It is best to take breaks to make sure that you are thinking clearly when gaming.
There is no reason that people should not take advantage of gaming systems and games on their devices. It is something that can be beneficial as long as people take the time to learn how to do it the right way and how to keep themselves safe. If you have thoughts or ideas about this or any topic, please feel free to share them with us.