“True happiness arises, in the first place, from the enjoyment of one’s self.” – Joseph Addison
It’s hard to keep the world from weighing down on you. With relationships, bills and a whole slew of other frustrations in the world, it’s easy to understand why you feel glum. It can even feel as though life is just one giant string of depressing moments broken up by tiny moments of happiness.
However, the truth is that many times, our frustrations are caused by not taking the proper time for yourself. What this means is that a huge number of the annoyances that we face everyday can be solved quite simply. In fact, there are 6 solid ways that calm you down every time!
Who doesn’t like a good nap, whether it be twenty minutes or two hours? There really is nothing quite like waking up refreshed and wonderful! In fact, studies show that there is a direct link between your mood and how much sleep you’re getting.
So using that sort of knowledge, it makes sense as to why the perfect nap increases your happiness. In the case that you’re in a down mood, you now have the perfect excuse to sleep it off.
2. A Walk in Nature
Think back on all the times you’ve wandered into the woods as a kid. Whether you’re hiking through a forest or walking down a nature trail, nature just soothes the soul. One thing many scientists agree on is how your environment affects your mood. Being around the sun, the singing birds and the gentle wave of the trees is exactly what you need sometimes.Advertising
Just changing that view allows your mind to wander into the pleasantness of the moment rather then all the things going on in your life. Life is about being in the moment, the people that live in the now are generally quite happy with their lives!
3. A Good Laugh
Laughing until you cry. The very image makes people smile with joy as they relate their experiences of doing just that. The fact of the matter is that when you laugh, it stimulates a part of the brain that controls happiness. A solid laugh with a group of friends always feels so good while it’s happening.
Afterwards that great feeling just sits in your chest for a time, and if you think about it, one joke tends to lead into another. If just a solid laugh fixes your down mood, think about what a wave of laughter can do?Advertising
4. Fresh Air Near the Sea
Picture yourself on the edge of the sea. Whether it’s on the shore or cliff is irrelevant. Feeling the cold wind hit your face, feeling the refreshing effects. Just the very thought of being next to the sea inspires images of relation and calmness. The sea air is the subject of actual research being conducted to find out the exact medical benefits of seawater and the air.
5. Deep Breathing
Breathing deeply is a quick, immediate solution to calming yourself down. If you get very upset and are stressing out, immediately stop what you are doing and take a second. Shallow breathing has been shown to be a part of the stresses of modern life.Advertising
Breathing deep when the situation calls for it is one of the best abilities to develop. Our lungs are as deep as they are for a reason, take advantage of the calm that comes from breathing deeply!
How many times have you sighed deeply when you take a shower? That water running down your back just seems to take all your cares away. The rushing water has also shown to yield some surprising effects on your overall mood and health.
With these solutions to cure your mood, it’s surprising to see so many people so frustrated. The issue is the fact that they are so easy! If you think abut it, taking five minutes to do any of these things is all it takes. By that same nature, you have all the time in the world to cool off. Which is exactly why people don’t do it. You need to commit a huge amount of willpower just to use these solutions, but it’s totally worth it. Take those five minutes, calm yourself, and increase your happiness!
Featured photo credit: Ed Gregory via stokpic.com
Last Updated on October 18, 2018
50+ Best Motivational Quotes To Prepare You For Any Challenges In Life
Life is filled with highs and lows —happiness and struggles that will test your resilience and integrity, push you to overcome challenges and leave you with lessons that will make you even stronger on your way up.
It’s the way you feel and think about yourself, including your expectations and beliefs about what is possible to you, greatly determines everything that happens to you.
It all starts with your thoughts. When you change your thoughts, you transform the quality of your life. (Right, Nancy’s story is a typical example!)
Below is a list of the best motivational quotes to inspire you to start your day with a blast:
Table of Contents
Quotes for self-assurance
1. Don’t downgrade your dream just to fit your reality, upgrade your conviction to match your destiny.
2. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.
3. You are confined only by the walls you build yourself.
4. The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others
5. You attract what you are, not what you want. If you want great, then be great.
6. It’s not who you are that holds you behind, it’s who you think your are not.
Quotes about positivity
7. Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.
8. You should never regret anything in life. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it is experience.
9. Falling down is an accident, staying down is a choice.
10. If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs more of that.
11. Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen.
12. Don’t be afraid to give up the good and go for great.
13. Remember that life’s greatest lessons are usually learned from worst times and from the worst mistakes.
Quotes for work and success
14. Don’t talk, just act. Don’t say, just show. Don’t promise, just prove.
15. Never stop doing great just because someone doesn’t give you credit.
16. Discipline is doing what needs to be done, even if you don’t want to.
17. Work while they sleep. Learn while they party. Save while they spend. Live like they dream.
18. The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire, not things we fear.
19. Never apologize for having high standards, people who really want to be in your life will rise to meet them.
20. If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.
21. Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it, time will pass anyway.
22. Don’t fear failure. Fear being in the exact same place next year as you are today.
23. A hill is just another opportunity to leave your competition behind.
24. Don’t quit. You’re already in pain. You’re already hurt. Get a reward from it.
25. Hustle until you no longer need to introduce yourself.
26. You didn’t come this far only to come this far.
27. Be selective in your battles for sometimes peace is better than being right.
28 If we keep doing what we are doing, we’re going to keep getting what we’re getting.
29. You will never know your limits until you push yourself to them.
30. Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.
31. The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there.
32. If your dreams don’t scare you, they are not big enough.
33. If you can’t handle stress, you won’t manage success.
34. Don’t be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams.
35. Don’t mistake silence for weakness. Smart people don’t plan big moves out loud.
36. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
37. Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe dedicated.
38. You become who you spend your time with.
39. Be stubborn about your goals and flexible about your methods.
40. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
41. If you don’t build your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs.
42. Between stimulus and response is our greatest power –the freedom to choose.
43. What comes easy won’t last, what lasts won’t come easy.
44. Don’t limit your challenges, challenge your limits.
45. Work until your idols become your rivals.
Quotes about money
46. Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune.
47. I create new enemies every day, it’s called business.
48. When you have a Million Dollar vision, don’t surround yourself with 1 cent minds.
49. You can’t get rich thinking poor.
50. Doing what is comfortable is rarely profitable.
51. If you can count your money, work harder.
If you find yourself feeling lost and frustrated, it’s never too late to change things up. Check out this guide: