The lost art of handwriting is a huge loss–in more ways than one.
In today’s modern world, which is over run by quick communication capabilities–email, text, instant messages, group chats, social media posts and the lists goes on and ON –it is rare to find good-old-fashioned handwritten communication.
We don’t even have to jot ourselves a quick reminder or manually add things to our calendar anymore thanks to apps that allow memos to be transcribed by merely speaking the command into our Smartphone or other device.
We have all but completely eliminated the art of handwriting. The only form of handwritten communication that we see–but is diminishing at a rapid pace–is the personal signature.
Understanding Handwriting Analysis
Graphology is the science of analyzing handwriting for personality traits and has been around since the days of Aristotle.
Today, it has evolved and can be used for a variety of purposes, from criminal investigations to understanding your health. Some employers have even used handwriting analysis to screen potential employees for compatibility.
In fact, according to master graphologist Kathi McKnight , “Just from analyzing your handwriting, experts can find over 5,000 personality traits.”
When deciphering handwriting, experts consider some of the following elements:
- Spacing (letter, word and line)
What does your signature say about you?
Here are a few things experts are able to determine about you by just glancing at your signature:
- Small letters are an indicator that you are quiet, shy and possibly withdrawn. It shows that you are meticulous and have great concentration. If the letters are extremely small, it shows you may be a bit egotistical and stingy.
- Average sized letters are the trademark of a well adjusted and adaptable individual.
- Large letters show that are an outgoing, outspoken person that oozes confidence and loves attention. You are also thought to be a bit dreamy and naïve.
- When all the letters are of equal size, this indicates modesty and shyness.
- It is believed that people who consistently displays writing that is illegible is arrogant and may assume that everyone knows (or should know) who they are.
- While the opposite is true of people with signatures that can easily be read. It shows that you are open, have nothing to hide and are happy with yourself.
If your signature is more towards the right of the page (or signing area), you are believed to be a forward looking person. Signatures in the center signifies a need for attention and signatures more to the left hints that you may be withdrawn with a tendency to cling to the past.
- If your writing tends to slant forward (to the right) or ascends, you probably are outgoing and bubbly and have a positive outlook on life. It is also indicative of your creativity.
- If your text slants to the left or down you do not tend to look and move forward often enough and you may be a bit pessimistic.
There are certain styles and embellishment in handwriting–specifically in signatures–that give clues to who really are at your core.
- Signatures that are overly fancy and intricate are an indication that you are creative, passionate, boastful and love attention.
- A line that runs through your signature indicates unhappiness and a person who is sensitive highly self-critical.
- A signature that is underlined signifies selfishness, sensitivity a need for recognition and status.
- A signature that has a line that is slightly above your name indicates that you are prone to be a high achiever, ambitious and proud.