Sometimes, we carry with us ancient wisdom that has been whispered through generations where we find strength for what we need. Other times, we sense our happiness and sanity have been swept away, and we float rudderless in our space. We wonder if we’re heading in the right direction and feel doom rather than the transformation. In these moments, we may need some feeling lost quotes to help us find inspiration again.
During the times when we feel lost, it’s too easy to forget the comfort of good times and wade through the fluff that separates us from the pack.
I often work in leadership and have to test my limits and inspire those I’m leading. One of the quotes I keep in mind by T.S. Elliot is:
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”
Knowing how you will perform in a crisis, personally or professionally, can help you get through tough times. The people who tend to work best in a crisis or stay calm in stressful times are those who are honest and forthright.
We often try to find sense in our lives with logic, reducing perceived risks by increasing control. The problem with control is you can hold on too tight, narrowing your options and missing the big picture.
Trying to squeeze action out of undefined goals only increases the pressure. Being happy comes from a sense of self and freedom, not a narrow list you’ve locked yourself into.
Sometimes, we need to observe our life in new ways and examine it with wisdom we doubt we have. Those big successes are done with small incremental actions done every day. Who will you choose to be in times of doubt?
Whether you bookmark this page for future inspiration or show off powerful, inspiring quotes on your T-shirt, coffee mug, key chain, and screen saver, these 40 feelings lost quotes will help remind you of your true essence.
We can reconnect with our priorities and take inspiration from both the ancients and modern visionaries with some of my favorite words below that inspire simplicity and truth.
Feeling Lost Quotes
1. “If you are working on something you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you” –Steve Jobs
2. “If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.” –Gordon Eadie
3. “One of the truest tests of integrity is a blunt refusal to be compromised.” –Chinua Achebe
4. “The fears we don’t face become our limits.” –Amy Elizabeth
5. “Be who you needed when you were younger.” –Anonymous
6. “We generate fears when we sit. We overcome them by action.” –Dr. Henry Link
7. “The intangible represents the real power of the universe. It is the seed of the tangible.” –Bruce Lee
8. “Storms make trees take deeper roots.” –Dolly Parton
9. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” –Henry Ford
10. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” –Vincent Van Gogh
11. “Stop acting so small, you are the universe in ecstatic motion.” –Rumi
12. “A tree that is unbending is usually broken.” –Loa Tzu
13. “What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality.” –Plutarch
14. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” –Plato
15. “Your teacher can open the door, but you must enter by yourself.” –Chinese proverb
16. “To get lost is to learn the way.” –African Proverb
17. “Don’t be distracted by criticism. Remember the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you.” –Zig Ziglar
18. “Do you know who you are? Don’t ask. Act. Action will delineate and define you.” –Thomas Jefferson
19. “Give thanks for what you are today and go on fighting for what part of you will be gone tomorrow.” –William Shakespeare
20. “Sorrow looks back. Worry looks around. Faith looks up.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
21. “One day you will ask me which is more important, my life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.” –Kahlil Gibran
22. “You were born to be real, not to be perfect.” –Anonymous
23. “After climbing a great hill, one only finds there are many more hills to climb.” –Nelson Mandela
24. “We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated.” –Maya Angelou
25. “I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance and affection to be art.” –Kahlil Gibran
26. “Fear is only as deep as the mind allows.” –Japenese Proverb
27. “We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” — Joseph Campbell
28. “Go within every day and find the inner strength so that the world will not blow your candle out.” — Katherine Dunham
29. “One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day. Similarly, one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy.” — Aristotle
30. “There are two ways to live your life. One is as if nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is a miracle.” — Albert Einstein
31. “You got to go down a lot of wrong roads to find the right one.” — Bob Parson
32. “Anger, resentment, and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others. It only changes yours.” — Shannon L. Alder
33. “To be lost is as legitimate a part of your process as being found.” — Alex Ebert
34. “Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” — Henry Rollins
35. “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.” — Elbert Hubbard
36. “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain.” — Vivian Greene
37. “Nothing is more beautiful than the smile that has struggled through the tears.” — Demi Lovato
38. “Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don’t serve them tea.” — Shunryu Suzuki
39. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” — Robert H. Schuller
40. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” — C.S. Lewis
Sometimes It’s Ok to Feel Lost
After looking at these feeling lost quotes, it is easy for someone to be confused. But these inspirational quotes will guide you to hear a voice every time when the risk is high, and you have nowhere to run. It is always easy to choose the shortcut and ignore the voice of the subconscious to do the right thing!
No matter how dire the circumstances might be, you need to make efforts and find ways to uplift your morale. Not making an effort is more painful than the risk of immersing your thoughts in negativity.
When you are feeling lost, it is natural to be confused about the next step. However, you have to determine when the risk of staying in a sad state for a longer period is causing more harm than good.
And don’t you worry, it’s okay sometimes to feel lost and not know where you are heading in your life. We go through various phases in life, and none of them stay permanent. Remember that “Life is a work-in-progress” and this too shall pass. Keeping hope is very important if you want to sail through the tides of life.
Don’t Be too Hard on Yourself
Everyone is fighting their fight in their ways, but none can say – “I know it all.” Life is a constant struggle, and everyone has to push through personally to overcome obstacles.
Whether it is your professional life that’s making you feel lost or your personal life brought about this state of mind, remember that you alone can find the solution. Happiness is a state of mind, and you alone can control the emotions that can bring a change in your attitude when you are feeling lost.
No one can tell you what your purpose is in the world, and only you have to decide that on your own. The universe has given us life and one that teaches us various things through unique experiences. Some might be good, and some might be bad.
So, don’t beat yourself up or be hard on yourself even if you have not yet figured it out. It’s okay! You don’t owe anyone an explanation about why it is taking so long or why haven’t you been able to figure it out yet. Go at your own pace, and you shall reach where you intend to. Nothing is permanent, and you will find your way out. It’s just a matter of time.
Rather than complaining and belittling yourself, you can try brainstorming ideas to help you move on. Procrastinating and beating yourself up will only drown the motivation and bring nothing of value but just self-pity.
Don’t forget if you set your heart to something, you can achieve it. Feeling lost is not a permanent state, and to uplift your emotions, you need to have faith.
Many of these feeling lost quotes have a common core. That is, to take a step back and view yourself in a new way.
Take action and make inspiration a routine. To act creates learning, and that builds confidence, provides direction, and eliminates doubt.
Imagine what you want it to be so that your vibration matches your desire. We can’t snap our fingers to instantly change feeling lost, but we can increase our situational awareness with our emotions and places where our lives have or may take an abrupt turn.
We take inspiration from our daily lives in as many individually unique forms as we are different. Inspiration can strike instantly and sporadically or feel like a trickle that slowly grows into a majestic waterfall crashing through with creative energy. That trickle is what will keep you going in dark times.
When you’re in a place where you feel lost and don’t recognize yourself, allow some inner compassion for the person you are right in that moment.
You have the power to create your world, one step at a time, and these feeling lost quotes can help. You choose how you think. Tune in to how you feel and why.
Remember you have the power to be, have, and do anything you desire. Tough times never last, but tough people do.
See what I did there? Another quote to inspire original thought as it applies to you. It’s been said that if you want to test a man’s character, give him power and you will see his true colors. So keep your inspiration on tap for when you need a reminder of your purpose.
More to Inspire You When You’re Feeling Lost
Featured photo credit: Daniel Jensen via unsplash.com