Do you want to have a happier New Year? Most people start the new year with high hopes that they will have a successful, productive and happy year, but they are unsure how to achieve them. It is actually very easy – simply swap out your negative habits for more positive ones.
Check out 30 things you should stop doing (and what you should be doing instead) this new year.
1. Stop comparing yourself to other people, especially on social media. Instead focus on your own accomplishments – and remember that social media is heavily edited.
2. Stop talking about travelling or going on holiday. Instead start to save so that you can go on the trip before the year is over.
3. Stop buying expensive coffees every day. Instead buy a thermos and start to carry your own coffee with you to save money.
4. Stop complaining that you don’t meet enough people. Instead actively look for new friends by joining clubs or inviting co-workers out.
5. Stop putting off things that you want to try, like yoga or martial arts. Instead book your first class.
6. Stop regularly binge-watching television. Instead commit to one night where you don’t turn the TV on – try reading or cooking instead.
7. Stop over-scheduling yourself. Instead, realize it is totally fine to turn down plans without feeling guilty – you can’t please everyone, but you can please yourself!
8. Stop filling all of your free time with social media. Instead look for hobbies that you think you would actually enjoy. There are lots of awesome hobbies out there, from coloring to cooking to jet-skiing.
9. Stop listening to the same kind of music. Instead broaden your musical horizons; listen to Mozart if you love pop music, or try out the top 40 if you only listen to metal. You never know what you will end up liking!
10. Stop ignoring people in your life because you are busy. Instead speak to your parents every week, and always reply to your friend’s messages.
11. Stop feeling guilty about wanting to treat yourself. Instead, enjoy the treat – you deserve it!
12. Stop complaining about the news and politics. Instead get involved; call your local representative about important issues, attend council meetings and protest if you are unhappy.
13. Stop making excuses for being unfit. Instead do 10 minutes of exercise every day in your home.
14. Stop spending too much money on takeout food. Instead buy a cookbook and learn to cook all of your favorite meals – then freeze the leftovers for a night when you are feeling lazy!
15. Stop not accepting responsibility for your mistakes. Instead hold yourself accountable for everything you do – including the good things.
16. Stop talking about your dream job. Instead write down a 10 year plan that ends in you having your dream job.
17. Stop not focusing on your mental health. Instead think about the things that bother you and upset you, and consider speaking to someone about your feelings.
18. Stop using social media as the only way to contact your long distance friends. Instead pick up the phone and ring one of your friends for a long chat once a week.
19. Stop buying cheap clothes that you only wear once. Instead start to shop less, but buy better quality pieces of clothing that will last far longer.
20. Stop judging other people (especially on social media). Instead throw out the negativity and focus on your own goals and achievements.
21. Stop spending money every time you see your friends. Instead of always meeting at a café or a bar, start to meet at home for movie nights.
22. Stop drinking the same old drink. Try new drinks whenever you go out until you find your ultimate favorite drink!
23. Stop washing your hair every day. Instead give it a break and try to only wash your hair once or twice a week – your hair will thank you!
24. Stop putting off washing your dishes. Instead try to wash everything within 24 hours of using it – especially if you live with other people!
25. Stop being ungrateful in your relationship. Praise your partner every day and remind yourself of the awesome things that they do for you.
26. Stop being proud of your flaws. Instead of deciding that you will always be short-tempered, work on becoming more calm.
27. Stop using alcohol as a social buffer. Instead try not to drink on the next night out with your friends so you feel more confident sober.
28. Stop eating sugary and salty snacks every day. Instead make them a once a week treat.
29. Stop going on social media at work. Instead try to stop using social media completely at work – you may discover you appreciate the break!
30. Stop obsessing over bad photos of you. Instead learn to love any picture of yourself where you are happy.