Heavy metal is perhaps the most laughed at, and least understood genre in the history of music. While heavy metal as an identifiable genre has only been around for roughly 35 years, the spirit of such powerful tunes undoubtedly saw its beginnings centuries ago. Just as heavy metal musicians have crafted the ability to make bold sonic statements, heavy metal lovers are their own variety of people who have admirably specific reasons for their love of the genre.
Below we’ve compiled 15 things only people who love heavy metal music would understand:
1. You listen to heavy metal because you actually enjoy the music, not just because you’re “angry.”
In fact, you’re angry less frequently than most non-heavy metal listeners would like to believe!
2. You know there’s always room in your budget for a concert.
Especially when a killer tour package comes to town!
3. You hold onto your metal memorabilia with pride
You still have the t-shirt you bought from the first heavy metal concert you ever attended.
4. You find the thought of losing the autographed album or poster you got from your favorite band (while they still featured your favorite lineup) akin to the thought of losing a limb.
This is precisely why it’s kept at the bottom of a cardboard box in your room… Or framed in a glass case, hanging by your bed.
5. Your favorite heavy metal song can always put you in a better mood.
No genre is more triumphant than metal!
6. You recognize the fact that heavy metal music actually calms you down and provides an outlet for your emotions and experiences.
Two researchers from the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia found that metal listeners felt calmer, more positive, and more inspired after listening to heavy tunes!
7. You understand that your favorite genre’s heroes will never fade from the limelight.
The likes of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Megadeth, Dio and many others contributed timeless works of art to the Heavy Metal Hall of Fame.
8. You’re well aware that heavy metal is actually more popular than pop music.
Thanks to Spotify, there is now further proof of this glorious reality!
9. You would give anything to witness your “dream lineup”
You’d give anything to see this lineup- whether it be individual band members forming a supergroup or all your favorite bands heading out on a megatour.
10. You already know that if one of your favorite bands mentioned a farewell tour, you would purchase tickets on the spot.
You would never miss the opportunity to crowd surf one last time for a band that has changed your outlook on life itself!
11. You respect and appreciate the founders of heavy metal just as much as the modern warriors of the genre.
Periphery, Meshuggah, August Burns Red, Wintersun, Animals As Leaders and dozens of other notable acts have just as much to offer as the classics.
12. You love the visceral and empowering vibe that washes over you during a heavy metal show
It stays with you for days after the show.
13. Your joy in listening to heavy metal only expands over time.
What began as just a handful of albums on your computer or portable listening device has now mushroomed to hundreds of albums and dozens of heavy metal subgenres. There can never be too much metal!
14. You find that listening to heavy metal makes you feel inspired and in touch with your emotions
Far more often than leaving you “drained” or “angry”, heavy metal leaves you feeling upbeat and positively in touch with your emotions.
15. You know that heavy metal shall live on forever.
These are just a few of the reasons heavy metal aficionados have such an affinity for the genre, as well as the tightly-knit metal community. What’s more, it’s indisputable that the supporters of metal are growing daily. Heavy metal was born decades ago and continues to expand its reach, both musically and within hearts and minds today.
You never know – perhaps someone you love will become the next heavy metal lover!