The definition of boring is dull or not interesting. The following is a list of 20 things that can definitely make any day more interesting. Some of them are silly, while some are more meaningful, so hopefully just reading the list makes your life less boring and sparks your creativity.
Have your own idea? Go ahead and drop it in the comments below the post.
1. Channel your seven-year-old self. What would he or she want to do right now? Color? Paint? Run around outside? Play dress up? Eat with your hands? Play that instrument hiding in the back of your closet that you haven’t touched in years? Just because you’re a grown up doesn’t mean any of this stuff will be less enjoyable than you remember it. Give yourself permission to play.
2. Speaking of little kids, if you have your own or access to any (in a non-creepy way, like they’re your niece or your best friend’s kid, you get the idea) go play with them! They didn’t create an entire show called Kids Say The Darndest Things because kids aren’t hilarious. They also keep things so simple, and we can really stand to be reminded of this and stop allowing ourselves to get bogged down in boring details.
3. Order a hot dog. While you’re eating it, Google: “What’s in a hot dog?” You decide whether or not you want to finish it.
4. This one is for the ladies: wear your sexiest lingerie under your work clothes. Your “little secret” will leave you feeling anything but boring all day!
5. Play cell phone roulette. You’ll need at least one buddy for this. Scroll through the contacts in your phone, stop on a random one and call the person. Could spark an incredible catch up session. Could be incredibly awkward. Neither are boring.
6. Fill out a pack of Thank-You cards. Give them to random people who probably don’t get thanked too often for doing what they do ever day. Ideas: police officers, librarians, servers, baristas, cab drivers, sanitation workers, teachers, people behind any check out counter, receptionists, your friends, the guy at the falafel stand, etc.
7. Sign up for a class in something you’ve “always wanted to do”, or something that makes you really uncomfortable. Ideas: pole dancing, salsa lessons, improv, pottery, cooking, knitting (yup, there are classes for this, too!), karate, boxing, something techy like the workshops they run in Apple stores, get Rosetta Stone and learn that language you’ve always wanted to speak, etc.
8. Interview your grandparents about their life. You can bet they’ve had some crazy experiences you probably never knew about.
9. Get up on stage at an open mic night whether you’re funny or not (and if you’re not, memorize a few of your favorite jokes and tell those!)
10. Do something for someone else that you wish someone would do for you. We all have a few ideas on this list. I promise you will feel amazing after and anything but bored.
11. Start a DIY project in your home. Doesn’t have to be super complicated. If you need ideas, I’m pretty sure this is what Pinterest was invented for.
12. Plan a weekend trip or an all-out vacation. This will give you something to look forward to.
13. People watch. Find a bench in a crowded area (centers of transportation like airports, bus stops and train stations are great for this!) and just observe. People are infinitely interesting.
14. Eat something you’ve never eaten before. Bonus points if it’s a random fruit or veggie.
15. Dance. You can get your friends together for a night on the town or just pull up a video on YouTube and bust a move from your own living room. If you’re feeling extra brave, you can even dance in public and get other people involved like my good friend Laura did here.
16. Go to YouTube and search “People falling on Segways.” This is also a great quickie ab workout as you will be laughing hysterically.
17. Check out the NY Times Best Sellers lists and grab a new book you can get lost in.
18. Step away from the computer and go get some time with people you care about IRL. (That stands for In Real Life). Facebook stalking doesn’t count as real social interaction. You can even share this post with your friends and vote on which one you’d like to do together!
19. Check out a museum you’ve never been to before. OK, depending on your interests, this one might actually be boring. If you love learning, art or different cultures though, this one is for you!
20. Leave your fly down intentionally all day. See how many people notice.
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook