There’s nothing like the bond between brothers. And ‘brothers’ doesn’t only refer to people born to the same parents. A brother is anyone you can depend on, who you will do anything for. Brotherhood as a larger concept entails uniting all of humanity. It is about finding it in your heart to truly care about your fellow human beings and build them up, while allowing them to lift you up too when you need it. Enjoy these brotherhood quotes that will inspire you, make you smile and cause you to pose and reflect.
1. “I am smiling because you are my brother. I am laughing because there is nothing you can do about it!” – Unknown
2. “Brothers don’t necessarily have to say anything to each other — they can sit in a room and be together and just be completely comfortable with each other.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
3. “To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other’s hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time.” – Clara Ortega
4. “I don’t believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at. ” – Maya Angelou
5. “Brotherhood is the very price and condition of man’s survival.” – Carlos P. Romulo
6. “You cannot see brotherhood; neither can you hear it nor taste it. But you can feel it a hundred times a day. It is the pat on the back when things look gloomy. It is the smile of encouragement when the way seems hard. It is the helping hand when the burden becomes unbearable.” – Peter E. Terzick
7. “I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
8. “I look to a time when brotherhood needs no publicity; to a time when a brotherhood award would be as ridiculous as an award for getting up each morning.” – Daniel D. Mich
9. “We cannot possibly let ourselves get frozen into regarding everyone we do not know as an absolute stranger.” – Albert Schweitzer
10. “On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.” – Adlai Stevenson I
11. “The world is now too small for anything but brotherhood.” – Arthur Powell Davies
12. “As life in general constituted much pain in the form of struggles against poverty, disease, ignorance, and emotional anguish, what more civilized way for people to alleviate the same than by giving themselves to one another as brothers and sisters in deed, as well as in word?” – Aberjhani
13. “Of a truth, men are mystically united: a mystic bond of brotherhood makes all men one.” – Thomas Carlyle
14. “You may call for peace as loudly as you wish, but where there is no brotherhood there can in the end be no peace.” – Max Lerner
15. “You cannot contribute anything to the ideal condition of mind and heart known as Brotherhood, however much you preach, posture, or agree, unless you live it.” – Faith Baldwin
16. “He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother.” – The Hollies
17. “He is my most beloved friend and my bitterest rival, my confidant and my betrayer, my sustainer and my dependent, and scariest of all, my equal.” – Gregg Levoy.
18. “I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see. I sought my God, but my God eluded me. I sought my brother and I found all three.” – Unknown.
19. “Being brother and sister means being there for each other.” – Unknown.
20. “Because brothers don’t let each other wander in the dark alone.” – Jolene Perry
21. “Above all things let us never forget that mankind constitutes one great brotherhood; all born to encounter suffering and sorrow, and therefore bound to sympathize with each other.” – Albert Pike
22.“Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all.” – Alexander the Great
23. “In union there is strength.” – Aesop
24. “Cooperation is the thorough conviction that nobody can get there unless everybody gets there.” – Virginia Burden
25. “So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth.” – Baha’u’llah
26. “In all things that are purely social we can be as separate as the fingers, yet one as the hand in all things essential to mutual progress.” – Booker T. Washington
27. “The crest and crowning of all good, life’s final star, is Brotherhood.”– Edwin Markham
28. If you really believe in the brotherhood of man, and you want to come into its fold, you’ve got to let everyone else in, too.” – Oscar Hammerstein II
29. “We’re all just walking each other home.” – Ram Dass
30. “A brother is a friend given by nature.” – Jean Baptiste Legouve
Featured photo credit: JOENASHPHOTO via flickr.com