Do you have a sister? Being close to your sister is a blessing, as she was there from the start and has had your back ever since. Friendships between sisters are filled with highs and lows, but either way, you’ll always miss her whenever she is far away.
Here are 20 struggles sisters who live far apart go through.
1. Wanting To Speak To Each Other But Being In Different Time Zones
You’ve spent the whole day looking forward to getting home from work so you can finally catch up with your sister – only to realize it’s 3a.m where she is, and there’s no way she is awake. Eventually you get used to Skyping at the weirdest times.
2. Having To Reassure Your Parents That Your Sister Is Fine And Healthy – Every Day
Your worried parents hassle you every day to find out how your sister is doing – which is pretty annoying, because you’re not always 100% sure of the answer.
3. Feeling Weirdly Grown Up When You Tell Her About Your Life
Once upon a time, all you and your sister talked about was toys and new games. So sometimes it feels weird when you tell her about the promotion you want, and the yoga class you just started. When did you two become adults?!
4. Planning A Skype Chat That Is Ruined By Slow Internet
You had the Skype catch up session planned for five days, but you didn’t plan for your internet to be too slow to even sign in to Skype. Maybe tomorrow night?
5. Having To Stalk Her On Social Media To Know What Is Going On In Her Life
You haven’t managed to get through to your sister for a week, and so you’ve spent the last 20 minutes scrolling through her Facebook, looking for new pictures and status up-dates. You just want to make sure she’s okay – and to see what her new friends look like.
6. Feeling Weird About Visiting Your Parents And Your Sister Not Being There
Every time you go home, you feel a little sad that your sister isn’t right beside you. It just isn’t the same without her.
7. Trying To Talk But Having No Signal
You’re finally both free at the same time! But just as the phone call starts getting interesting, your phone cuts out. And so begins half an hour of re-dialling, missing each other’s calls and getting cut off again. How will you find out what happened when she went out last night?!
8. Using Skype To Remind Each Other What You Look Like
It’s been a long time since you actually saw each other face to face – so you feel a little teary eyed when you finally see her smiling back at you.
9. Trying To Avoid Mentioning All Of The Crazy Stories Your Sister Told You To Your Parents
After a long catch-up, your parents want to know everything you and your sister spoke about, but you wisely decide to leave out the story about her getting drunk and throwing up in a taxi. In fact, you only feel comfortable repeating about quarter of the conversation to your parents.
10. Unplanned Skyping At Four In The Morning Because You’re Finally Online At The Same Time
Yes, you were totally asleep, but you can finally discuss the season finale of your favorite show with your sister!
11. Being Confused By The New Words And Phrases She Uses
She has picked up all of the cool words and phrases where she lives; unfortunately, you’ve only visited her twice and you have no idea what she means.
12. Sending Essay Emails Because You Don’t Want To Miss Out Anything
The email may be as long as a short novel, but you need to tell your sister about absolutely everything, from the meals you’ve eaten to updating her on your work drama.
13. Worrying About If She Is Making Friends
You know she’s the nicest, funniest person you know – but what will other people think? You spend hours worrying about if she has made friends – only for her to end a call shortly so she can go for a night out with her new crew. You feel relief and jealousy that you are staying in tonight.
14. Passionately Hating People Who Are Mean To Your Sister
She told you over two months ago that one of her bosses turned down a good idea she had, and he is still at the top of your enemy list today.
15. Feeling Jealous Of Her Flatmate
They get to see your sister every day, they can spend their evenings cooking food and watching TV shows – you’re not sure when you last felt this jealous.
16. Noticing She Took Some Of Your Clothes With Her
Last time you Skyped, you noticed your favorite dress in the background, and you went crazy. Now that she lives so far away, it’s basically hers by default.
17. Finding Your Parents Twice As Annoying Now Your Sister Isn’t Here
You didn’t realize it at the time, but your sister helped dilute your parents. Now, it’s just you in the firing line.
18. Wanting To See Each Other But Not Being Able To Afford It
If you could, you would visit every single weekend for a few drinks and a catch up, but your bank balance won’t allow it. For now, you message each other every day and patiently wait until pay day.
19. Reminiscing On The Times You Shared A Home
All of the inside jokes, games and fights – you both love to discuss all of the great memories you have together, while wishing you could still see each other every day.
20. Realizing Nothing Has Changed Besides The Distance
She may live far away, but nothing has changed for either of you. You both can’t wait to get on the phone for a catch up, and she still knows you always have her back, even if you can’t always be with her.