Work-from-home life has its perks: no rush hour traffic, occasional happy hours with coworkers (that you host), and of course, the comfort of your home. According to The American Opportunity Survey, 58% of the workforce can work from home one day a week, while 35% say they have the option to WFH 5 days a week.
If you often meet your work requirements from home, you’d know how tiring it gets not having a comfortable work setup. An ergonomic work from home desk is vital for your health, comfort, and productivity because it makes all the difference in getting you in the ‘work mode.’
This quick round up focuses on the best work from home desk setups built to keep you comfortable and focused.
How to Choose a Suitable Work-from-Home Desk?
Criteria to choose a desk that work for your home office:
Shape Of Desk
- Straight Desk – The straight desk is by far the most common type on the market. And it’s easy to see why—these desks are simple, stylish, and highly versatile.
- Corner Desk and Wave Desk – If you’re short on space, a corner or wave work from home desk will make efficient use of your square footage. These L-shaped desks fit snugly into any corner and leave plenty of room to move around.
- Curved Desk – Curved desks often have plenty of storage options, making them perfect for tidy types who like to keep their workspace clutter-free.
- The Dimensions of Your Desk – If you only use a laptop, a shallow desk will do, as it’ll let you easily reach your mouse and keyboard. While for a desktop, you’ll need a desk with more depth to have enough room for your monitor, tower, and keyboard. In terms of height, most desks are around 29-30 inches—but if you’re taller or shorter than average, look for a specifically designed desk.
- Narrow Workstation – Narrower desks or desks with built-in storage can help save valuable square footage in smaller rooms. And if all else fails, corner desks are an excellent way to use an empty corner without taking up too much space.
- Wide Workstation – If two people will be sharing one office/desk space, you’ll need a wider desk so that each person has enough room for monitors, keyboards, etc. Alternatively, if everyone in your household already has their workspace set up elsewhere, there’s no need to get a bigger desk—a smaller one will suffice.
- Storage Desk – If you don’t have an entire room you can dedicate to your office, a desk with plenty of storage will help keep your workspace tidy and organized. Desks with multiple drawers and shelves or ones that come with built-in cable tidies would be ideal.
- Standing Desk – If you think a standing desk might be right for you, look for one that’s adjustable so you can switch between sitting and standing positions throughout the day.
- Adjustable Desk – An adjustable desk can be raised or lowered to accommodate different tasks. It also allows you to add or remove features like shelves and drawers as needed.
- Material Of the Desk – Wooden desks are classic and stylish, but they require more upkeep than desks made from other materials. Metal and glass desks are easy to keep clean but may have a different aesthetic appeal than a wood desk.
With these factors in mind, you’ll be well on your way to finding the best work from home desk that suits your budget and comfort.
How We Chose the Best Home Office Desks
Here at Lifehack, we know that finding the perfect desk can be a daunting task. That’s why we’ve done the legwork for you, tracking down the market’s most popular work from home desks.
We’ve narrowed the field based on the size and features our readers usually look for, and customer reviews. As a result, we’ve created a list of desks that we think will suit your needs. If you follow this guide, you’ll surely find the best work-from-home desk.
7 Best Work-from-Home Desks
Now that you know what to look for in a work from home desk, we’ll shortlist the hottest options you can get this Black Friday.
1. Best All-Rounded Desk – FlexiSpot Bamboo Desk
Size: 42”x 24”
- 4 material options
- Solid metal frame
- 1-tap keypad movement
- Generous weight-bearing capacity
The FlexiSpot Work from Home Desk is a high-quality, affordable desk to help you be productive while working from home. It has a sturdy metal frame that is eco-friendly and easy to assemble. You’ll be able to get your desk set up and ready to use in no time.
Also, this desk has a built-in shelf perfect for storing books, files, and other materials you need while working. This makes it easy to keep your workspace organized and clutter-free.
One of the best features of the FlexiSpot Work from Home Desk is the up/down keypad movement. This allows you to adjust the desk’s height so that it is comfortable for you to use regardless of your height. Priced at $159.99, the desk can support up to 155 lbs, so you can rest assured that it will be able to hold all your materials.
Check out the FlexiSpot Bamboo Desk here.
2. Best Desk for Small Spaces – Fuselier Desk with Hutch
Size: 49.6” H X 32” W X 23.6” D
- Sturdy steel base
- Made from a combination of solid and manufactured wood
- A hutch for extra storage
- Wheeled body for easy movement
- Three shelves and a slide-out tray
Cannot dedicate a room to your home office? No worries because the Fusilier work from home desk is built for compact spaces. Coming at a price tag of $131.99, this desk’s base is made from sturdy steel, ensuring that it can hold whatever you need to put on it without wobbling or tipping over.
Made from a combination of solid and manufactured wood, this desk has a classic look that will go well with any home office decor. The wood surface is also easy to clean and maintain.
One of the best features of this desk is the hutch on top, which provides extra storage for things like books, files, or even decorative items. The hutch also has three shelves and a slide-out tray, so you can organize your belongings however you like. This desk is also easy to move around thanks to its wheeled body. Whether you need to rearrange your furniture or simply want to clean under the desk, the wheels make it a breeze.
Get Fuselier Desk with Hutch here.
3. Best Desk For Storage – Lengby L-Shape / I-Shape Credenza
Size: 29.25” H X 47.25” W X 29.25” D
- Particle board/chipboard body and base
- Multi-tier storage
- Flexible design of shelves (L-shape for corner; I-shape for narrow space)
- Elegant build
- Ideal for corner workspaces
The Lengby L-Shape Credenza work from home desk is a minimalist, functional desk that’s perfect for corner work spaces. It’s made from particle board and chipboard, which makes it strong and durable. This desk is also easy to assemble; all you need is a screwdriver and an Allen wrench.
This desk has multiple storage tiers, so you can keep your work area organized and tidy. The desk also comes with a hutch, which gives you even more storage space for office supplies, paperwork, or files.
The desk has a sleek build that looks great in any home office or professional setting. It is also compact, so it doesn’t take up a lot of space. Priced at $187.99, this work from home desk ticks all merit boxes we have listed above.
Take a look at Lengby L-Shape Credenza here.
4. Best Adjustable Desk – Hartman Mobile Height Adjustable Desk
Size: 23.5” W X 26” D
- Durable steel frame
- Plastic & acrylic top
- Easy height adjustment
- Multiple tiers
- Locking wheelbase for easy mobility
The Hartman Mobile Standing desk is designed to make it easy to adjust your working height throughout the day, from sitting to standing (and anywhere in between). It’s also lightweight and mobile, so you can easily move it around your home office as needed. And its two-tiered design provides plenty of room for your laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and more.
Coming at a buying price of $167.99, the frame of this Hartman Mobile Height Adjustable Standing Desk is made from powder-coated steel, so it’s built to last. And with its locking wheelbase, it’s easy to keep your desk in place while you’re working.
What’s more, the top of the desk is plastic and acrylic, which gives it a modern look. And because it’s in a sleek black color, it helps keep your workspace feeling open and airy. One of the best features of the Hartman Mobile Height Adjustable Standing Desk is its easy height adjustment. Whether you’re 5’2″ or 6’4″, you can easily adjust the desk to fit you – just use the hand crank to raise or lower the desk as needed.
Check out Hartman Mobile Height Adjustable Desk here.
5. Best Corner Desk – Cuuba Libre L-Shape Desk
Size: 29.92” H X 55.12” W X 46.85” D
- Particle board and chipboard body
- Enough storage space
- Sleek white and wood grain color
- Polished, rounded wood top
- Sturdy construction
Priced at $325.99, the Cuuba Libre L-Shaped Work from Home Desk is a great choice for anyone who wants a stylish and functional desk for their home office. This desk has plenty of storage space and an elegant design that will make you feel productive as soon as you sit down. The Cuuba Libre also has a polished, rounded wood top that gives it a luxurious look and feel. Plus, it’s constructed from particle board and chipboard, so you know it’s built to last.
This desk has a classic design with clean lines and ample storage. It’s made from durable engineered wood, so it will stand up to years of use. The lateral file cabinet provides even more storage for all your work materials.
This desk’s simple yet eye-catching design will add a touch of style to your home office. It’s made from MDF material with a powder-coated steel frame, so it’s lightweight yet durable.
Get your Cuuba Libre L-Shape Desk here.
6. Best Standing Desk – Autonomous SmartDesk Core
Size: 53″L x 29″W x 1″H
- Solid SPCC steel frame
- Electric dual motor for height adjustment
- 4 programmable keypad settings
- Top made from warp-proof MDF wood
A desk that is too small can lead to back and neck pain from hunching over, and a desk that is too big can take up too much space in a small room. Enter the SmartDesk Core, a standing desk that can fit any height and is just the right size for most home offices.
At a price tag of $499, the SmartDesk Core has an electric dual motor that allows you to easily adjust the desk’s height with just the push of a button. You can also program four different height settings into the keypad so that you can quickly switch between them as needed.
A cheap desk might look nice initially, but it will only last for a while if made from flimsy materials. The frame of the SmartDesk Core is made from solid SPCC steel, which promises stability and durability. This best work from home desk has a warp-proof MDF wood top, which means it will withstand years of use without losing its shape or looking worn down.
Buy Autonomous SmartDesk Core here.
7. Best Budget Desk – Santrell Desk
Size: 29” H X 47” W X 24” D
- Manufactured wood top
- Resistant steel frame
- Robust design, suitable for minimalist spaces
- Best budget buy
- Eye-catching wood grain colored top
Priced at $125.99, the Santrell work from home desk is the perfect solution for those who want a minimalist desk with a touch of style. The desk is made of manufactured wood with a steel frame, and it comes in various colors to match any home office. The best features of the Santrell work from home desk are its robust design, its manufactured wood top, and its steel frame.
This desk also has an eye-catching wood grain-colored top that makes it stand out from other desks on the market. One downside of the Santrell work from home desk is that it has no additional storage space. However, this should be fine for most people since the desk is only meant for working at home.
How Much Should You Spend on a Working Desk?
How much to spend on a working desk really depends on your budget and your needs. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect to get for your money when shopping for a new desk:
On the low end (under $100), you’ll find desks made from particle board or pressboard with veneers. These desks are typically mass-produced and might not offer features like built-in cord management or adjustable heights.
In the mid-range ($100-$500), you’ll see desks made from higher-quality woods like hardwood, cherry, maple, ash, or oak. These desks will offer more features than their lower-priced counterparts, such as drawer space, adjustable heights, built-in cord management, and more robust constructions.
Lastly, at the high end (think about $500), you’ll find desks made from top-of-the-line materials like mahogany or walnut with brass hardware. They offer all the bells and whistles you could want in a desk, including plenty of storage space, height adjustments, integrated cord management systems, and more.
So there you have it, some of the best work from home desks. Whether you’re looking for a stylish setup, a functional one, or something in between, there’s sure to be an option that’s perfect for you.
Featured photo credit: Norbert Levajsics via unsplash.com
|||^||McKinsey & Company: Americans are embracing flexible work—and they want more of it|