Many people use big goals to improve themselves and their lives — things like, “get a promotion” or “buy a car.” However, these goals can often feel huge and intimidating, so most end up avoiding them or putting them off.
Many people actually find it easier to focus on small goals based around self-improvement, because they quickly see results and progress. You don’t have to drastically change your life to see progress — check out these 25 little goals you can start today to improve your life.
1. Learn one new thing every day: the name of a capital city, a fun fact, something about someone you care about.
2. Unfollow all of the social media accounts that make you feel low. Remember that most things online are totally edited, and it isn’t an accurate representation of real life.
3. Swap a bad habit for a good habit. For example, you could cut down on coffee and try to drink more water.
4. Look after your hair and skin. Coconut oil makes a great moisturizer for both!
5. Try to laugh every day for the next month. If you need inspiration, you could buy a joke book or bookmark a great online comic.
6. Write down two things you want to accomplish every day for half a year. This will help you to be more productive — after a week, you will already see some progress.
7. Schedule “you time” into every day, even if it is only for 15 minutes. Do something you truly love during this time, like playing games or taking a bath.
8. Be more aware of your diet. Make sure you are eating enough vegetables and try to cut down on unhealthy snacks.
9. Focus on saving a small amount of money every day. It all adds up; if you save $10 a week for a year, you will have $520!
10. Take the time to appreciate the world around you. Smell the flowers, stroke the cat, and admire the awesome graffiti. It will improve your mood and your appreciation for the world around you.
11. Make a conscious effort to maintain your friendships. Often great relationships end simply because people are too focused on their new careers and friends.
12. Invest in one good pair of shoes for work and one good pair of shoes for exercising. Your feet will thank you when you are older!
13. Try new foods whenever you get the opportunity. If someone offers you a forkful of their food, take it!
14. Read an article that interests you every day.
15. Don’t just accept your flaws and say “I can’t help being this way.” If you are short-tempered, try to be more relaxed and empathetic. If you are very shy, make an effort to talk more when you are with your loved ones. Everyone can set goals to be a better revision of themselves.
16. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You should always be your own number one supporter.
17. Learn how to cook your favorite dish from the takeaway. This means you can always have a meal you love without spending too much money.
18. Sit up straight.
19. Look nice even when you have nothing special going on. Remember you make an effort to make yourself feel nice, not anyone else.
20. Look after your technology. Your laptop and phone were probably fairly expensive, so download the updates and keep your laptop on a flat surface!
21. Make sure you get enough sleep. You will feel happier, more relaxed, and you will achieve more.
22. Listen to a comedy show during your commute. It will put you in a great mood for work!
23. If you can, stop showering every day. It will be better for your hair and skin — and you get extra time to yourself to enjoy!
24. Take a class in something you have always been interested in, like boxing or learning to play the guitar.
25. Smile at a stranger every day.