Do you have a base foundation for a happy life? Or is happiness something that you pursue and take for granted at the same time? For example, you could have a sense of satisfaction with where you are or what you have, but easily dismiss the state of happiness in lieu of wishing for something better!
Our wish for “something greater” than what we have going on in our life is a conflict that swirls within every one of us. We all want for something more, something better with greener grass on the other side, rainbows, fireworks, and, of course, winning the lottery.
There are plenty of snippets of pleasure all around us that we overlook because we tend to look outside of ourselves for tangible materialistic joy and wealth to somehow fix the brokenness that we have within us. Even when we accomplish something worthwhile, we still continue to look for something touchable to take its place to fill up yet another hole deep inside. All of this entanglement of searching outside of ourselves can cloud our sense of joy or fulfillment and what we should be valuing the most.
Happiness is built from the positive experiences that we’ve encountered throughout our lives, and is nurtured by the love and support that we receive from those around us. Along your life journey, you may have lost your structure for a base foundation for a happy life.
Just like a house needs to have a proper foundation to keep it stable, we too need to have a solid base that holds us up and keeps us together with support and care.
Four signs that you are missing a base foundation for a happy life:
- You feel lost in life, with a lack of focus and care.
- You’ve stopped taking care of yourself physically and emotionally.
- You feel a sense of dread and agitation for where you are and who you are with.
- You have ongoing ailments and drained energy.
What is your base foundation? What holds you up and keeps you going in life, with support and structure? Is it unconditional love from a relationship, family or friends, your life’s passion or career?
Below are some key things that you will need in order to attain happiness, satisfaction, and a sense of peace.
Discover these four key components to base your happiness from. Plus, ask yourself these questions to gauge what is most important to you.
1. Purpose and Vision
- When you wake up in the morning, are you happy with where you are? Do you have a sense of excitement for your impending day?
- What kind of things do you look forward to? And are you fulfilling your purpose and vision for your life?
2. Personal Core Values
- When you lay your head down on the pillow at night, are you satisfied with the way you’ve portrayed yourself throughout your day?
- Are you holding yourself to the core values that you have set for yourself?
3. Positive Reinforcement and Support System
- Do you get positive reinforcement from those around you?
- Do you have a support system, whether from family, friends, or society?
- What gives you a sense of security and peace?
4. A Sense of Life Satisfaction and Accomplishments
- Are you satisfied with your accomplishments?
- What do you look to deep inside yourself when things are falling apart?
- Do you feel drained from life with nothing left to give?
- Do people take more from you than they give to you?
You need to have something to look forward to that keeps you happy and excited. With a positive support system and a strong set of values that you set for yourself, you will keep your power and reach your accomplishments, giving you a strong base foundation of happiness worth standing on. No one can drain your energy or take your power away unless you let them!
Featured photo credit: Weebly Stock Photos via gettyimages.com