What is the key to success? Who wouldn’t love to know the answer, right? I believe many of you know Sir Richard Branson. He is one of the most successful entrepreneurs nowadays. He built his Virgin empire from scratch, expanding from his music label Virgin Records to the aviation company Virgin Atlantic to his ambitious project Virgin Galactic. He has gained the type of success many of us only dream about. Richard revealed his secret: he believes that success comes after happiness. So show us your beautiful smile and read Richard Branson’s favorite quotes on happiness.
1. “Happiness is not a goal… it’s a by-product of a life well lived.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
How many times you found yourself saying “I just wish to be happy”? Being happy is our natural state. Do what you love, smile a lot, forgive yourself and others, be grateful, and serve. This is a simple recipe for happiness.
2. “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” (Andy Rooney)
Did you know that it takes approximately 10 years of hard work to become an overnight success? Ten years of failures, small successes and lessons. On the way up you learn the most; you grow. Be happy on your journey and do not give up. You will eventually get where you want to be, so just enjoy the trip.
3. “Happy people are beautiful. They become like a mirror and they reflect that happiness.” – (Drew Barrymore)
Ah dear Drew, you couldn’t be more right. Happy people are spreading so much positive energy around. You become happier just by being the right company. If you are happy and beautiful inside, you reflect it on the outside. Just take a mirror, smile and have a look at how beautiful you are.
4. “If you want happiness for a lifetime – help someone else.” (Chinese Proverb)
The entire proverb goes like this: “If you want happiness for an hour take a nap. If you want happiness for a day – go fishing. If you want happiness for a year – inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime – help someone else.” This ancient wisdom has already been proven by science. People who are helping others have significantly higher levels of endorphins, the hormone of happiness, than those who are treating themselves. Every day offers a lot of opportunities to help someone.
5. “Happiness is not the absence of problems, it’s the ability to deal with them.” (Steve Maraboli)
Happy people have their own problems. If there is one person in the world without a single problem, I would love to meet them. The only thing we can do is to deal with all the problems and learn from them.
6. “Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.” (Benjamin Disraeli)
We all deal with fear. But it shouldn’t prevent us from doing what we consider important and what makes us happy. Go out, do, kiss, laugh. Do not be afraid; take action. If it hurts you, you will learn. If it doesn’t, you will be just purely happy.
7. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” (H. Jackson Brown, Jr.)
Money cannot buy happiness, nor can the new yacht or beautiful villa. Happiness is an inside job. How long are you happy when you get a gift? Probably a couple of moments or days. When you are giving, your body fills with warm feeling of happiness.
8. “The greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.” (Martha Washington)
Whenever we are sad, we tend to blame it on a situation or person. I know I have been doing it for a long time and sometimes fall back into it. You cannot change the situation, but you can always change your reaction. You are the one who choose to be happy or unhappy.
9. “Happiness is like a kiss. You must share it to enjoy it.” (Bernard Meltzer)
Imagine you share something and it multiplies. That’s what happiness and love is doing. Pretty amazing, huh? Share your happiness with your loved ones.
10. “Happiness is not something readymade. It comes from your own actions.” (Dalai Lama)
Happiness is not waiting anywhere for you. You become happy if you decide so. You must do what makes you feel great. If you forgive past sins and practice gratefulness, you will find happiness.
Maybe you will build another Virgin empire, maybe not. Being happy will make your days fuller and, as Sir Richard Branson is saying, we all take it very seriously. You will attract all the success in the world just by being simply happy. Have a beautiful day and put smile on your face.
Featured photo credit: Richard Branson/D@LY3D via flickr.com