Fondly considered by many fans around the world as the “father of motivation”, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer was a legend in the self-help and wellness world for his inspiring guides to better living. He gained prominence in the public eye through his frequent appearances on mainstream TV shows, where he was often introduced as “public television’s favorite teacher of transformational wisdom”.
Dyer’s messages – characterized by a philosophy that blended the theory of self-actualization and nondenominational spirituality – encouraged people to be the best they can be without worrying about labeling by society. What makes this remarkable man particularly inspiring is that he was a real-life rags to riches character with an incredible personal story.
Dyer grew up in an orphanage, later reconnected with his birth parents, became a high school counselor, then a college professor, and then wrote his first of many bestselling books in a career that span four decades. His first book Your Erroneous Zones, released in 1976, sold over 35 million copies.
Sadly, the author, motivational speaker and self-help pioneer recently passed away in his sleep at his home in Maui, Hawaii aged 75. Though he is no longer walking among us on earth, Dyer’s insights continue to reverberate throughout the world. Here are some of his most meaningful quotes that will inspire you to be a stronger person. Enjoy!
- “If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
- “The state of your life is nothing more than a reflection of the state of your mind.”
- “Anything you really want, you can attain, if you really go after it.”
- “Go for it now. The future is promised to no one.”
- “I am thankful to all those who said no. It’s because of them, I did it myself.”
- “Self-worth comes from one thing – thinking that you are worthy.”
- “You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.”
- “Begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather than a body with a soul.”
- “When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.”
- “Your reputation is in the hands of others. That’s what the reputation is. You can’t control that. The only thing you can control is your character.”
- “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- “If you believe it will work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you believe it won’t you will see obstacles.”
- “Consider that all human beings have within them the same essence of consciousness, and that the process of creativity and genius are attributes of human consciousness. Therefore, genius is a potential that lives within you and every other human being.”
- “You are in a partnership with all other human beings, not a contest to be judged better than some and worse than others.”
- “You don’t need to be better than anyone else, you just need to be better than you used to be.”
- “When you are able to shift your inner awareness to how you can serve others, and when you make this the central focus of your life, you will then be in a position to know true miracles in your progress toward prosperity.”
- “Your children will see what you’re all about by what you live rather than what you say.”
- “Circumstances do not make a man, they reveal him.”
- “What comes out of you when you are squeezed is what is inside of you.”
- “Abundance is not something we acquire. It is something we tune into.”
- “Be immersed in and surrounded by peace. Your Highest Self only wants you to be at peace. It does not judge, compare, or demand that you defeat anyone, or be better than anyone.”
- “Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life.”
- “There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love; there’s only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.”
- “Heaven on Earth is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.”
- “Don’t die with the music still in you.”
Featured photo credit: Phil Konstantin via flickr.com