During the 21st century, it seems like we are constantly busy running around working, taking care of the children, and paying the bills. Most of us (and our spouses) have a 9-5 job and our job continues when we come home. After a long day of work, we go home, cook dinner, take care of the house, and raise our children. It seems like there is no time to develop your marriage. With today’s society, placing your marriage as top priority has never been more important. You are busy working and taking care of your family. When do you take the time to develop your marriage and the relationship you have with your spouse? We continue living our life that is hectic, stressful, unsatisfying, and unfulfilling. The first and greatest commandment is LOVE. It seems like we are not giving enough love to our spouse. We are so busy with work and day-to-day stress that we place our marriage as last priority.
I don’t want you to wake up one day and realize that you should have invested more in your marriage. I want you to realize the importance of placing your marriage as top priority TODAY and take action!
5 reasons why you NEED to place your marriage as top priority
- Commitment. You have made a commitment in your vows that you will be with your spouse through thick and through thin. Words are just words if we can’t show our love through our actions. It’s easy to say one thing and do the complete opposite. Your vows were taken seriously on your wedding day. What happened? The commitment to living out your vows on a daily basis will help you place your marriage as top priority.
- Your children will be affected. Not only are you experiencing your marriage but so are your children. You are their role models. If you continue to argue or fight in front of your children, this will affect them. You may not see the consequences of your arguing now, but your children will be affected when they become teenagers and look for attention outside of the house. Be a positive role model for your children as a parent and also as a united front for your marriage.
- United front. No matter what comes your way, you’ll know that you can rely on your spouse to support and love you. When you don’t place your marriage as top priority, you’ll have to experience life’s challenges by yourself. Your spouse should be the one that you can bounce around ideas with and help you make the right decisions. When the two of you are working as a team, not only will you be able to get through the difficulties of life, but your marriage will deepen as a result.
- Decrease the possibility of infidelity. When you and your spouse have a strong, committed, and healthy relationship, you won’t have to look outside of the marriage to fulfill your needs. When you place your marriage as top priority, you will constantly be thinking, “What is best for my marriage?” Your mind won’t be wondering around and checking out other people to fulfill your needs. The two of you are fulfilled in your marriage because you have created a strong foundation and have placed your marriage as top priority.
- Future. What will happen when your kids grow up and have a family of their own? You’ll be spending your time with your spouse. If you haven’t placed your marriage as top priority then how you can possibly stand to be with each other when your children grow up? If you’ve invested so much emotional energy into your children instead of your spouse, what will happen when your children grow up? People who don’t have a strong and healthy relationship with their spouse tend to invest a lot into their children. When the children grow up and have their own family, the couple is left to be with each other. This is precisely why it’s so important to place your marriage as top priority.
I understand that life can get in the way and resentment can build a big wall in between you and your spouse. Realize that you will never be able to have an open and loving relationship with your spouse if you continue to allow this wall to grow. If you have martial issues, it would be wise to seek professional help in order to chip away slowly the big wall of resentment, stress, and pain that has developed throughout the years.
No matter where you are in your marriage, know that you still have time to strengthen and develop your relationship. It all starts with placing your marriage as top priority!
On a final note, What are you most grateful for in your marriage?
Until next time, Live with PASSION!
Marriage sometimes sweet, sometimes sour: 12 Rules for MarriageFeatured photo credit: 5 Reasons to Place Your Marriage as Top Priority via Shutterstock
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook