Movies not only entertain us on a rainy Friday night, but they also teach us many things. Among other lessons, the characters can teach us the real meaning of love through their stories and challenges. Existential questions come up such as, what is love? How does it feel to be in love? How do we know when we’re in love? Most important, movies can help teach us how to work through this wonderful emotion and be happy. Take a look below at the top 25 inspirational movie quotes that teach you a little something about love.
Next step, movie marathon.
1. Love takes a lot of work to get through the hard times.
“So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day…” – Noah Calhoun, The Notebook
2. Love makes you appreciate things about a person that you might not normally like.
“I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you’re always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you’re not around, and the fact that you didn’t call. But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.” – Kat Stratford, 10 Things I Hate About You
3. Great loves don’t always last forever, so love like there’s no tomorrow.
“Summer romances begin for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common. They’re shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, fleeting glimpse of eternity, and in a flash they’re gone.” – Noah Calhoun, The Notebook
4. You don’t have to be the smartest person in the world to know what love is.
“I’m not a smart man… but I know what love is.” — Forrest Gump, Forrest Gump
5. Love can be the most random person, in the most random place: embrace it.
“My name is Dug. I have just met you and I love you.” – Dug, Up
6. When you love, you love through the good and the bad times.
“I have loved her even when I hated her…” – Cal Weaver, Crazy, Stupid, Love
7. Love is as much an intellectual attraction as it is a physical one.
“I know you’ve probably suspected this, but over the last month, I’ve fallen completely in love with you. Now, obviously this was going to happen because you’re a goddess with that face, and that hair. But even if you didn’t have a nice face, and even if you had absolutely no hair because of some bizarre medical reason, I’d still adore you.” – Tim, About Time
8. The love we receive comes from the standards we set for ourselves.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.” – Charlie, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
9. Being in love has the power to bring out what’s best in us.
“You make me want to be a better man.” – Melvin Udall, As Good as It Gets
10. A person needs to be able to love themselves in order to feel love for someone else.
“Love is not a feeling, Mr. Burns. It’s an ability.” – Marty Barasco, Dan in Real Life
11. Love is the answer to all existential questions, since it helps you find yourself through another being.
“There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love.” – Don Juan, Don Juan DeMarco
12. Love will make you want to do anything to make your beloved happy.
“What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I’ll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That’s a pretty good idea. I’ll give you the moon, Mary.” – George Bailey, It’s a Wonderful Life
13. Love is finding security, happiness and hope in the eyes of the person you love.
“If you can promise me anything, promise me that whenever you’re sad, or unsure, or you lose complete faith, that you’ll try to see yourself through my eyes.” – Gerry, P.S I Love You
14. It’s not always a smooth ride. But it’s worth it in the end, as long as you’re with the one you love.
“I guarantee there’ll be tough times. I guarantee that at some point, one or both of us is going to want get out. But I also guarantee… that if I don’t ask you to be mine, I’ll regret it for the rest of my life. Because I know in my heart… you’re the only one for me.” – Maggie Carpenter, Runaway Bride
15. There is no set image to what love looks like, since it comes in all shapes and sizes.
“Fiona: Yes. But, I don’t understand. I’m supposed to be beautiful.
“Shrek: But you are beautiful. ”
16. Love makes the simplest thing you do absolutely magical.
“Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together… and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home… only to no home I’d ever known… I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like… magic.” – Sam Baldwin, Sleepless in Seattle
17. You can’t put a name to the feeling once you experience it, but you know, with certainty, that you are in love.
“This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime.” – Robert Kincaid, The Bridges of Madison County
18. Love is strong enough to continue beyond loss, hatred, or the grave.
“If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever.” – Sarah, The Crow
19. You don’t have to be extremely rich or famous to experience the beauty of this feeling.
“I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who’s ever lived: I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.” – Noah Calhoun, The Notebook
20. It isn’t made to be practical or logical, it’s made to be spontaneous, regardless of the consequences.
“As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don’t know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.” – The Wizard, The Wizard of Oz
21. Use more of your heart to love the ones around you.
“You know how they say we only use 10 percent of our brains? I think we only use 10 percent of our hearts.” – John Beckwith, Wedding Crashers
22. Sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself for the ones you love.
“Some people are worth melting for.“ – Olaf, Frozen
23. Love isn’t always safe a journey, but it’s strong enough to secure a safe landing.
“That’s what people do. They leap and hope to God they can fly. Because otherwise, we just drop like a rock, wondering the whole way down, ‘Why in the hell did I jump?’ But here I am, Sarah, falling. And there’s only one person that makes me feel like I can fly. That’s you.” – Alex Hitch, Hitch
24. When you’re in love, it’s like you’re given a new chance at life.
“I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” – Harry Burns, When Harry Met Sally
25. Love is always with you to cure the lonely moments.
“When I’m with you, I don’t feel so alone.” – Hercules
Featured photo credit: Featured Photo Credit: Fidler Jan via morguefile.com