“To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.” Maya Angelou
After 22 years of being a busy Mum, a working Mum, an involved Mum, a helicopter Mum, a kind Mum, a nagging Mum, an insecure Mum and a taxi driver Mum, I am still asking myself: is there an easier and less complicated way to be a good Mum?
The answer is thankfully yes, there is a better way and I found it when I met Sarah – a self-proclaimed joyful mother. She actually said to me she was a “joyful mother” of 7 children. The fact that she had 7 children was amazing enough however what I also couldn’t get over was how fantastic she looked!
I wanted to know Sarah’s secret about how she managed to look so great and happy while being a mother to 7 children. Secretly I was hoping that she would turn out to be a Wonder Mother, who is so perfect that I wouldn’t even try to follow her advice.
Sarah is definitely not a wonder woman and as I got to know Sarah, I discovered that her secret for being not only a great mother but also a fantastic woman, is that she truly is a joyful mum, who loves her family and lives a happy and fulfilled life.
I now believe 100% that the secret to being a good mother is to choose to be a joyful mother. I also realise that it is hard for us to be great mothers all the time however by being joyful we can be good mothers most of the time.
With Sarah’s guidance I am working towards being a joyful mother which thankfully releases me from all the constraints of having to play all the other roles of motherhood – it can get exhausting trying to play out what I believe to be over 50 Mum roles.
As a joyful mother I get to play only one role. Life is simple, my parenting skills have improved and the husband and kids are happy! It’s a no brainer.
So what is it that makes being a joyful mother so appealing?
“A joyful mother will have sticky floors, dirty ovens and happy kids!” Unknown
Well, joyful mothers understand 10 things about being a mother that many others just don’t get.
If you are planning to become a joyful mother, then these 10 things that only joyful mothers understand, will give you a really good insight into the mind and life of a joyful mother. I guarantee that once you have read these 10 things there is no way you can do anything but become a joyful mother!
1. They understand that it is an impossible job to aim for perfection – so they don’t.
They aim to be the best mothers they can be, with imperfections and all. Perfection creates a huge distraction from the joy of being a mother – that’s why joyful mothers have no interest whatsoever in being perfect and everything to everyone.
A joyful mother would rather be a real mother,who does not get everything right all the time, than a super efficient perfect mother. Joyful mothers understand how important it is not to sweat the small stuff.
2. They will happily take time to be alone to revive and energise themselves.
Joyful mothers know how important it is for their families wellbeing and happiness for them to look after their spiritual, physical, mental and emotional well-being. Joyful mothers will happily and with no guilt take a time out from their families on a regular basis.
3. They understand the power of their intuition.
They trust and have faith in themselves and will act on their instinct. Joyful mothers use their intuition to guide them through the minefields of challenging times. A joyful mother will know immediately by looking at their child, if something is wrong. Joyful mothers focus on getting to know their children and they use this knowledge along with their intuition to support and parent their children.Advertising
They understand that their number one role is to be a parent to their child. There second role is to be their friend. Joyful mothers strive to build loving, respectful and happy relationships with their children.
4. They are not afraid to ask for help.
They understand that by asking for help, they enable themselves to be an even better mother. Joyful mothers are not hung up on the fact that they have to do everything for their children. They believe that it is “healthy role modelling” for their children to see that their mother is not perfect and that she will ask for help. By asking for help everyone in the family benefits – its a win – win situation and joyful mothers get that.
5. They understand the importance of letting go – so they do.
A joyful mother understands the reality of parenting and knows that there comes a time when their children leave home. A joyful mother will encourage and support her children to go out into the world and live their lives to the fullest. She also understands that her children need to be independent and will make mistakes, wrong decision or wrong choices in life.
She will not shelter her children from the reality of life. A joyful mother understands that her role as a parent, is to instil in her children the core values and behaviours that will keep them be accountable for their own life – their successes and their failures.
Joyful mothers trust their children and know that by letting them go, they will always come back to her because they love and respect her.
6. They understand how important it is to take care of relationships.
Joyful mothers value their relationships and will work hard to take care and nurture them. Joyful mothers in any relationship, with or without partners, will focus on ensuring that communication is flowing and conflict is resolved as quickly as possible.Advertising
A joyful mother does not like to have unresolved conflicts as it impacts on her role to be a good mother. A joyful mother is solution focused. She works hard to ensure that her children are able to manage and deal with conflict constructively.
A joyful mother understands how important it is for her children to experience “positive and healthy relationships” in their lives. She knows that these healthy relationships will lay the foundations for any future relationships her children will have.
7. They understand the value of friendship.
Friendships are highly valued by joyful mothers. Having friends is a way for a joyful mother to stay sane and feel connected to people who are going through the same things as she does. It is good to be surrounded by your comrades in arms!
Friendships allow you to let off steam, get advice from like-minded people, have fun, relax and laugh. Joyful mothers know what to look for in a friend and will also be a very loyal and supportive friend themselves.
8. They understand how important it is to forgive.
Joyful mothers are able to forgive themselves and others. They love their children unconditionally and one of the gifts of unconditional love is forgiveness.
It is a challenging role being a parent and joyful mothers. But they do not hide away from the pain and hardship that can come with parenting. They accept that they will make mistakes and that their children will also make mistakes – however it is forgiveness towards themselves and others that keeps joyful mothers emotionally strong and resilient.
9. They love to laugh.
Joyful mothers understand the immense happiness laughter can bring to their families and to their own lives – so they laugh a lot.Advertising
Joyful mothers make a conscious effort to find things in their lives that they are grateful for and they choose to be joyful every day. Gratitude and happiness are daily habits joyful mothers religiously practise.
Playing,cuddling and hugging their children even when they are adults, brings mothers great joy and happiness.
10. They understand how important it is to be a “Future Thinker”.
Joyful mothers plan for the future. They focus on raising their children to be future leaders and to be accountable for how they live their lives. A joyful mother always has a plan on how she can build her children into future leaders. She will not abandon that plan and succumb to social pressures. She knows her children really well, she listens to them and she encourages and supports them to be the “best people they can be”.
A joyful mother understands that her behaviours, actions and values have a huge influence on how her children live their future lives. She therefore chooses to live her life demonstrating the values, behaviours and actions of the leader she wants her children to be.
To be a joyful mother one has to wake up each day and choose to be joyful. It takes work, commitment and the desire to be the best mother you can be.
The thing about being a mother, is that you only get one shot at it and you want that one shot to be the “best one shot” ever.
By choosing to be a joyful mother you are definitely on the right path to being the “best mother in the whole world” for your children.
“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us when adversity takes the place of prosperity when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” Washington Irving
Featured photo credit: Portrait of happy mother and baby playing outdoors via shutterstock.com
Last Updated on October 18, 2018
50+ Best Motivational Quotes To Prepare You For Any Challenges In Life
Life is filled with highs and lows —happiness and struggles that will test your resilience and integrity, push you to overcome challenges and leave you with lessons that will make you even stronger on your way up.
It’s the way you feel and think about yourself, including your expectations and beliefs about what is possible to you, greatly determines everything that happens to you.
It all starts with your thoughts. When you change your thoughts, you transform the quality of your life. (Right, Nancy’s story is a typical example!)
Below is a list of the best motivational quotes to inspire you to start your day with a blast:
Table of Contents
Quotes for self-assurance
1. Don’t downgrade your dream just to fit your reality, upgrade your conviction to match your destiny.
2. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.
3. You are confined only by the walls you build yourself.
4. The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others
5. You attract what you are, not what you want. If you want great, then be great.
6. It’s not who you are that holds you behind, it’s who you think your are not.
Quotes about positivity
7. Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.
8. You should never regret anything in life. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it is experience.
9. Falling down is an accident, staying down is a choice.
10. If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs more of that.
11. Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen.
12. Don’t be afraid to give up the good and go for great.
13. Remember that life’s greatest lessons are usually learned from worst times and from the worst mistakes.
Quotes for work and success
14. Don’t talk, just act. Don’t say, just show. Don’t promise, just prove.
15. Never stop doing great just because someone doesn’t give you credit.
16. Discipline is doing what needs to be done, even if you don’t want to.
17. Work while they sleep. Learn while they party. Save while they spend. Live like they dream.
18. The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire, not things we fear.
19. Never apologize for having high standards, people who really want to be in your life will rise to meet them.
20. If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.
21. Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it, time will pass anyway.
22. Don’t fear failure. Fear being in the exact same place next year as you are today.
23. A hill is just another opportunity to leave your competition behind.
24. Don’t quit. You’re already in pain. You’re already hurt. Get a reward from it.
25. Hustle until you no longer need to introduce yourself.
26. You didn’t come this far only to come this far.
27. Be selective in your battles for sometimes peace is better than being right.
28 If we keep doing what we are doing, we’re going to keep getting what we’re getting.
29. You will never know your limits until you push yourself to them.
30. Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.
31. The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there.
32. If your dreams don’t scare you, they are not big enough.
33. If you can’t handle stress, you won’t manage success.
34. Don’t be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams.
35. Don’t mistake silence for weakness. Smart people don’t plan big moves out loud.
36. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
37. Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe dedicated.
38. You become who you spend your time with.
39. Be stubborn about your goals and flexible about your methods.
40. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
41. If you don’t build your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs.
42. Between stimulus and response is our greatest power –the freedom to choose.
43. What comes easy won’t last, what lasts won’t come easy.
44. Don’t limit your challenges, challenge your limits.
45. Work until your idols become your rivals.
Quotes about money
46. Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune.
47. I create new enemies every day, it’s called business.
48. When you have a Million Dollar vision, don’t surround yourself with 1 cent minds.
49. You can’t get rich thinking poor.
50. Doing what is comfortable is rarely profitable.
51. If you can count your money, work harder.
If you find yourself feeling lost and frustrated, it’s never too late to change things up. Check out this guide: