A year ago this week, I began my guest author spots here on Lifehack.org at Leon’s very kind and generous invitation.
Along with his invitation though, Leon challenged me: He said he loved the writing I did in Managing with Aloha (my book) and on Talking Story (my blog) and he wanted the flavor of it for Lifehack.org, but what he really wanted me to do was write original stuff for him. He was as tactfully assertive as a new editor can be when he gently and respectfully rejected my first submission and said no linklove and analysis of other people’s stuff; I was the one who needed to write more. He requested a new post just once a week, on every Thursday, and he wanted what was in my head, not yet published.
Leon was right. I trashed my first submission (it didn’t even make it to one of my blogs) and started over. To this day, my first post here has been one of the most popular ones of all I’ve done.
I was not about to let Leon down, and in the past year there were several times I felt that Leon got my best work of the week —and I do a lot of writing. I hope you have enjoyed the reading.
Today, a recap of the past year, where Managing with Aloha came to Lifehack.org. I figure Leon will forgive me this once that it’s not original! He’s been a great boss: Any missing dates are my vacation times.
Mahalo nui loa; thank you for reading every Thursday. If you happen to have a favorite, let me know with a note in the comments would you? You’ll be helping Leon keep me on the right track…
And Leon, thank you for your faith in me, and for your aloha. I’ve loved being here.
- Sept. 8: 5 Things Employees Need to Learn—from You
- Sept. 15: Workhack: The Attitude of Q&D
- Sept. 22: Think “Learning” for a Better Budget
- Sept. 29: On Ho‘ohiki: Keeping Your Promises
- Oct. 6: What’s the Difference Between Mission and Vision?
- Oct. 13: When Does Great Service Happen?
- Oct. 20: Get the Most Out of Travel
- Oct. 27: The Real Rules of Engagement
- Nov. 3: Make Mine Personal
- Nov. 10: From Mistake to Marvel
- Nov. 17: How to Drive a Customer Crazy
- Nov. 24: Reap Joy from this Thanks-Giving Holiday
- Dec. 1: An Aloha Virtue List for December
- Dec. 8: Holiday Gifts for Working Stiffs
- Dec. 15: How to Capture an Expert’s Value: 12 Tips
- Jan. 12: Be Admired and Respected
- Jan. 19: The 10 Beliefs of Great Managers
- Jan. 26: Coaching Persistence
- Feb. 2: Long Live Your Calendar
- Feb. 9: Gracious, Genuine Greetings
- Feb. 16: Let’s Talk LOVE at Work: 9 Views
- Feb. 23: Literal Lifehack: Cut Your Window of Time in Half
- March 2: Create Your Kipuka
- March 9: The Leader As Kipuka
- March 16: Everyday Performance Reviews
- March 23: A Brave Email Experiment
- March 30: ROV Coaching: Gain Return on Your Values
- April 6: The Most Underutilized Tool for Effective Communication
- April 13: Run a WOW Campaign
- April 20: 7 Steps for Resolving Customer Complaints
- April 27: The Six Basic Needs of Customers
- May 4: Learn to Love Projects
- May 11: A Reinvention Revolution: 3 Sacred Cows to Start With
- May 18: The First Time Versus the Insider’s Advantage
- May 25: And the Survey Says?
- May 31: Reinvention: It’s Something You Can Do
- June 18: What Would Your Banner Say?
- June 15: Appointment Bookends: Use ‘em
- June 22: Easy to Duplicate = Easy to Learn
- June 29:Discover Your 4-Fold Capacity
- July 06: Where’s the Boss?
- July 13: Your Final, Essential Hiring Question
- July 20: Don’t Just Add, Replace. Own the 100%
- July 27: Huddle Up; Meet Well
- Aug. 3: Innovate with Form and Function
- Aug. 10: POP² Management
- Aug. 17: New to Management: A Learning Hit List
- Aug. 24: It’s Not the Perks
- Aug. 31: An Environment for Learning
is the author of Managing with Aloha, Bringing Hawaii’s Universal Values to the Art of Business and the Talking Story blog. She is the founder and head coach of Say Leadership Coaching, a company dedicated to bringing nobility to the working arts of management and leadership. She’s still trying to save her pennies so she can visit Leon in Australia one day.