Thank you for printing our article. Explore Lifehack for similar articles to help you improve your life.
26 Tips to Keep Your Computer Up and Functioning
Open Loops blogger Bert Webb and I often collaborate on projects, include guesting at each others functions. At a recent presentation I did on “Effective Workplace Communication” the laptop I was using to run my PowerPoint presentation became possessed by evil juju and began a spontaneous series of automated functions ending in a system shutdown. Bert and I had different theories about why this occurred at this particular moment in the great cosmos. But, one thing we did agree on is “technology is a great thing…when it works!” And Murphy’s’ Law can be suspended.
Based on that I have put together the following list that usually keeps me functioning.
When I loose productive time at work it is usually because of a problem I have encountered with my computer. And any time I have a computer problem it is usually related to one of the following items. In order to be a little proactive I have build this little checklist. I have automated as many of them as I can and if much of your livelihood depends on your technology functioning smoothly I suggest you consider doing the same.
Computer Maintenance Checklist
At system setup
- Install a surge suppressor/emergency shutdown power strip
- Register your software products
- Schedule automated updates
- Read the maintenance section of your manual
- Set up your email to auto-archive older messages
- Install anti virus software
- Install anti-advertising software
- Put your software drivers in a pocket sleeve 3 ring binder
- Run a disk scan to check for hard drive issues
- Run a defragmentation program
- Run a clean up to delete unneeded files
- Back up your files to a remote location
- Empty your recycle bin
- Delete your Internet files
- Clear your browsing history
- Delete your cookies
- Update your virus definitions
- Run a full virus scan
- Check for updates
- Delete/uninstall unneeded or unused programs
- Clean your keyboard
- Clean your monitor
- Clean your peripherals
- Rebuild your desktop
- Change all your passwords
- Renew your software update and anti virus subscriptions
Reg Adkins writes on behavior and the human experience at (elementaltruths.blogspot.com).
© 2005 - 2018 Lifehack · All Rights Reserved.