Thank you for printing our article. Explore Lifehack for similar articles to help you improve your life.
The 12 Days of Thanksgiving
Nordstom’s is getting a lot of publicity this year for their stance on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Namely, they are going against the decorations trend and are choosing to wait on Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving is over. People everywhere are enjoying this and re-posting their signs.
This past year, I saw Christmas decorations in WalMart before Halloween was over! It seems the New Deal stimulus idea of extending the Christmas buying season has worked all too well, and like many others, I feel it is time to fight back.
But how will we fight back?
With gratitude, thanks and remembering why Thanksgiving comes before Christmas:
The Proposal – The 12 Days Of Thanksgiving
Starting on Thanksgiving, post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. something you are thankful for. For the next twelve days, continue to do this every day!
Every Thanksgiving families give thanks and show gratitude for something in their lives. There are many families who will even go around the table and have everyone name something. Then the day after Thanksgiving, they wait in long lines for those black Friday deals. They clamor to buy. They spend time worrying about costs, decorations and tinsel; they forget what they did at the start of the holiday season – give thanks.
I believe people see the nonsense in this insanity. I believe people truly are grateful that they can even stand in line for an hour for a gift. I think people are even more grateful when they don’t stand in line, and instead make hot chocolate with their families and loved ones at home. Let us all work together to remind each other of the small things in life and the big things. By spending 12 of the holiday season days giving thanks, we may find it is a habit to continue well past the 12 days of Christmas. We may find it isn’t the gifts, the lines, the perfection that matters. We may find it is OK to smile, and let someone go before you or maybe hold open a door for someone else. We may find the truly great thing about the holidays is the reminder of gratitude and love all humans are capable of showing.
Here are some ideas of what to look for and post about in your feeds. They are all things I am thankful for, though not in any particular order.
- I thank the farmers and ranchers who work to provide food for our nation. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I thank my wonderful family for putting up with me. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I am thankful for the roof over my head. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I thank the person who smiled back and said thank you. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I thank the teachers who teach my children. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I thank the bagger who bags my food at the store. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I am thankful for the air I breathe. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I am thankful for the sun at my back. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I am thankful for a cheerful smile. #12daysofthanksgiving
- I am thankful for the ability to share these gratitudes. #12daysofthanksgiving
Needless to say, there are many things in the world to be thankful over, and I encourage us all to find one thing – every day – for twelve days.
© 2005 - 2018 Lifehack · All Rights Reserved.