Thank you for printing our article. Explore Lifehack for similar articles to help you improve your life.
Step Out Of The Comfort Zone
Enrich your life when you step out of the comfort zone. Tackling a new skill or taking an adventure that scares you a little helps you grow and makes you happier.
Most of us have a desire to be comfortable and play it safe. Trying something new can seem scary and not worth the effort. However, full enjoyment and fulfillment comes in those moments we step out of the comfort zone.
Think back to the most meaningful, amazing moments of your life. When you examine them you will find that they had you stepping out of your comfort zone. Trying something new and unfamiliar brings extra excitement and emotion to the event. These highs leave us with a greater sense of accomplishment and fulfillment that simply doing the same thing every day.
Stepping out of your comfort zone doesn’t have to be a death-defying adventure. It could be something as simple as traveling to a new place. One example is taking a photography challenge where you have to photograph 100 strangers, getting their name and a little bit about each one of them. For those of us who are not gregarious extroverts this is a huge step out of the comfort zone.
Often, the things that are scariest bring the greatest rewards. That being said, it may be easier to start with things that are closer to your comfort zone. As you gain a bit more confidence in yourself branch out into greater leaps.
Some ideas for getting out of your comfort zone are listed below. The size of the steps may be the same or different for you. These are just to give you an idea of in how to stretch yourself.
Small steps out of the comfort zone:
- Call a friend or relative you’ve lost contact with.Sign up for a blog challenge that stretches you.
- Speak in front of a group about a subject you are passionate about.
- Learn a new skill.
- Get up in the middle of the night to see a meteor show or hike to an amazing spot.
- Volunteer. If you’ve never worked with your hands volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and start to learn about building while helping others.
Medium sized steps out of the comfort zone:
- Travel on your own for vacation.
- Take a class in something you don’t think you have any talent for.
- Take a whitewater rafting trip.
- Write a book.
- Learn how to swim, if this is a skill you don’t have it can seem very daunting.
- Attend an event where you don’t know anyone. Don’t just be a wallflower either, talk to at least 5 people.
- Be the first to say, I love you.
- Quit your full-time, safe, job to start your dream job.
Huge steps out of the comfort zone:
- Fly in a very small plane piloted by a crazy friend.
- Hike the grand canyon.
- Visit a country where few of the residents speak english.
- Backcountry camping in Yellowstone, with the bears.
- Call up experts in your industry and ask for an interview or endorsement.
When you try new things and stretch your limits you will find they aren’t where you thought they were. You are capable of so much more than you ever believed.
What is the next step out of the comfort zone you will take? Share your plans with us in the comments below.
(Photo credit: Beyond Normal via Shutterstock)
© 2005 - 2018 Lifehack · All Rights Reserved.