One of the most effective ways to achieve success is to ask yourself the right questions. When we ask ourselves a question, we always come up with an answer. Ask yourself “Why does this always happen to me,” and you’ll get an answer. But if you ask yourself “How can I have a great day today,” you’ll also get an answer. Which answer is going to empower you more? You got it. So why not ask yourself smart questions that will make you happier, more confident, more powerful, and more successful?
The world moves fast, our many interests are constantly being seduced by TV, the Web, and the omnipotent presence of marketing. Here are some questions you can use to keep you on the rails that lead to success.
How to Use Smart Questions
My recommendation is to take your favorite 5-10 questions from this list, write them down and post them near your desk, your bathroom mirror, the visor in your car and on the back of your cellphone. Pretty soon you’ll have them memorized and you’ll find yourself using these questions to filter out the wheat from the chaff.
The other way to use these questions is to take one question per day or per week. Write it down on a few yellow stickes and place them where you will see them all day long: by your bed, in the bathroom, in your car, at your desk and so on. Do this and watch the magic unfold!
- What do I want to accomplish today?
- What is the most important thing I need to do today? (Do it first!)
- Is this the best use of my time right now?
- What am I trying to accomplish right now?
- What can I cross off my list by deleting or delegating? What is not important?
- What can I do right now to take the next leap instead of the next step?
- Who can I learn from today?
- Who can I thank today?
- What am I grateful for?
- How can I eliminate distractions right now?
- What are my top 3 current goals?
- What is most important to me in life?
- If the my world was going to end within one year, what would I be doing right now?
- What will I do today towards my major goals?
- What action can I take instead of worry right now?
- Who should I thank today?
- Who needs some love today?
- How can I be a kinder person today?
- How can I have more compassion today?
- What can I do right now to release negative energy in a positive way?
- What can I do to let go of my anger?
- How can I put worry on hold right now?
- How can I choose happiness right now?
- What can I do to slow down today?
- What am I learning right now?
- What beneficial routines can I start today?
- What will I do, see, explore, or experience today that is new?
- How and with whom can I partner today to make 1+1=3?
- How can I be more compassionate today?
- What will I celebrate today?
- Where did I find Joy today?
- What did I learn today?
- How will I “pay it forward” today?
- How will I make today great? How do I define great?
- What can I stop holding/clinging to help me break free?
- How can I let go with peace?
- Who can I help today?
- How can I add Peace to the world today?
- What’s the most powerful thing I can do right now, today to increase my business?
- What have I been avoiding that I can do today?
What are your favorite empowering questions? Please share!
K. Stone is author of Life Learning Today, a blog about daily life improvements. A few of her most popular articles are Ultimate Goal Setting Guide, How to Write a Book in 60 Days or Less, Should You Start Your Own Work at Home Business?, and How to Be a Great Salesperson.