“Every day, think as you wake up, ‘Today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings.'”
Let the Dalai Lama’s words inspire you to enrich your life. One of the best ways to develop yourself is through the information you consume.Advertising
Reading enriches life.
As you read, whether fiction or nonfiction, you expand your mind. Reading allows you to experience new worlds, perspectives and ideas.
The more you read, the better you can relate and react to the world around you. As you process all of this information, you will find it is also easier to come up with your own new, unique ideas.
It is up to you to choose reading that will enrich you.
Enriching your life with reading can also be fun and enjoyable. However, reading isn’t the only medium to enrich your life. You can also select audio and video programs that are enriching.Advertising
The question then arises, how to choose materials that are enriching. The best way to choose materials that enrich your life is to ask yourself a few questions.
Is there something new to learn?
Choosing materials that teach you something new will expand your universe.
- Watch a TV Program on how to do your next home improvement project.
- Learn about your next vacation destination through guidebooks, podcasts, articles or videos.
- Explore the culture through local legends
- Learn some phrases in the local language
- Immerse yourself in the history of the peoples, land or architecture
- If you are choosing a fiction book for your enjoyment you can still find it enriching.
- You may learn about a new place, time or even a profession the characters have.
Strive to learn at least one new thing every day. It’s easy when you surround yourself with great information and resources.Advertising
Is the material mostly positive?
This will not be everyone’s preference. However, I find that keeping the information I consume at least 90% positive makes life more enjoyable. It is easier to see the best in the people and world around you when you focus on the good that surrounds us.
- Choose news outlets that focus on more positive stories (or simply change the channel for ugly news).
- Look for sources that focus on positive news
- Read biographies of people who inspire and have accomplished great things.
- Watch movies that have a positive, uplifting message.
Am I interested in the topic?
Consuming information that isn’t of interest to you can be drudgery. Remember your school days: what was your least favorite subject? I bet the thought of having to attend that class was torture some days.
Better to find a topic or an aspect of the topic that interests you.Advertising
- Make a list of things you’ve always wanted to learn about.
- What are your favorite tv shows? They may help point you towards subjects you would like to learn more about.
- Dislike a topic? Look for a method that makes it more interesting.
- If you don’t like history, you might enjoy historical fiction or movies that are period based.
- You may find reading a nonfiction book is a challenge, whereas listening to the same book in audio format while driving is easy and enjoyable.
Reading enriches life. As you enrich your life through your entertainment choices, take a moment to journal each day about what you learned. Processing and recording your thoughts in this way will help you get even more from the material and formulate new ideas.
Featured photo credit: Ed Yourdon via flickr.com
Last Updated on August 12, 2021
Learn How To Make Coffee 38 Different Ways With This Stunning Guide
If you make your own coffee in the morning, chances are you’re only making the same boring kind everyday. Now it’s time to put an end to the cynical habit and turn you into an instant coffee connoisseur.
For those who don’t know, there are officially 38 different ways to make coffee. All, except decaffeinated versions will give you the same buzz that can either make you extremely productive or give you anxiety.
The only difference here is taste. And when it comes to coffee, taste matters. A lot.
Most of the methods and ingredients from the chart above dates back hundreds of years and have been traditionally passed down from generation to generation. Hence, it’s actually possible to tell where a person came from based on the type of coffee he or she drinks!
38 ways to make a perfect Coffee | Visual.ly