“Every day, think as you wake up, ‘Today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings.'”
Let the Dalai Lama’s words inspire you to enrich your life. One of the best ways to develop yourself is through the information you consume.Advertising
Reading enriches life.
As you read, whether fiction or nonfiction, you expand your mind. Reading allows you to experience new worlds, perspectives and ideas.
The more you read, the better you can relate and react to the world around you. As you process all of this information, you will find it is also easier to come up with your own new, unique ideas.
It is up to you to choose reading that will enrich you.
Enriching your life with reading can also be fun and enjoyable. However, reading isn’t the only medium to enrich your life. You can also select audio and video programs that are enriching.Advertising
The question then arises, how to choose materials that are enriching. The best way to choose materials that enrich your life is to ask yourself a few questions.
Is there something new to learn?
Choosing materials that teach you something new will expand your universe.
- Watch a TV Program on how to do your next home improvement project.
- Learn about your next vacation destination through guidebooks, podcasts, articles or videos.
- Explore the culture through local legends
- Learn some phrases in the local language
- Immerse yourself in the history of the peoples, land or architecture
- If you are choosing a fiction book for your enjoyment you can still find it enriching.
- You may learn about a new place, time or even a profession the characters have.
Strive to learn at least one new thing every day. It’s easy when you surround yourself with great information and resources.Advertising
Is the material mostly positive?
This will not be everyone’s preference. However, I find that keeping the information I consume at least 90% positive makes life more enjoyable. It is easier to see the best in the people and world around you when you focus on the good that surrounds us.
- Choose news outlets that focus on more positive stories (or simply change the channel for ugly news).
- Look for sources that focus on positive news
- Read biographies of people who inspire and have accomplished great things.
- Watch movies that have a positive, uplifting message.
Am I interested in the topic?
Consuming information that isn’t of interest to you can be drudgery. Remember your school days: what was your least favorite subject? I bet the thought of having to attend that class was torture some days.
Better to find a topic or an aspect of the topic that interests you.Advertising
- Make a list of things you’ve always wanted to learn about.
- What are your favorite tv shows? They may help point you towards subjects you would like to learn more about.
- Dislike a topic? Look for a method that makes it more interesting.
- If you don’t like history, you might enjoy historical fiction or movies that are period based.
- You may find reading a nonfiction book is a challenge, whereas listening to the same book in audio format while driving is easy and enjoyable.
Reading enriches life. As you enrich your life through your entertainment choices, take a moment to journal each day about what you learned. Processing and recording your thoughts in this way will help you get even more from the material and formulate new ideas.
Featured photo credit: Ed Yourdon via flickr.com
Last Updated on September 25, 2019
How to Tap Into the Power of Positivity
As it appears, the human mind is not capable of not thinking, at least on the subconscious level. Our mind is always occupied by thoughts, whether we want to or not, and they influence our every action.
When we were still children, our thoughts seemed to be purely positive. Have you ever been around a 4-year old who doesn’t like a painting he or she drew? I haven’t. Instead, I see glee, exciting and pride in children’s eyes. But as the years go by, we clutter our mind with doubts, fears and self-deprecating thoughts.
Just imagine then, how much we limit ourselves in every aspect of our lives if we give negative thoughts too much power!
We’ll never go after that job we’ve always wanted because our nay-saying thoughts make us doubt our abilities.
We’ll never ask that person we like out on a date because we always think we’re not good enough.
We’ll never risk quitting our job in order to pursue the life and the work of our dreams because we can’t get over our mental barrier that insists we’re too weak, too unimportant and too dumb.
We’ll never lose those pounds that risk our health because we believe we’re not capable of pushing our limits.
And we’ll never be able to fully see our inner potential because we simply don’t dare to question the voices in our head…
But enough is enough! It’s time to stop these limiting beliefs and come to a place of sanity, love and excitement about life, work and ourselves.
So, how can we tap into the power of positivity?
“Happiness cannot come from without, it comes from within.” – Helen Keller
It’s not as hard as it may seem; you just have to practice, practice, practice. Here are 4 simple yet powerful ideas on how you can get started.
1. Learn to substitute every negative thought with a positive one.
Every time a negative thought crawls into your mind, replace it with a positive thought. It’s just like someone writes a phrase you don’t like on a blackboard and then you get up, erase it and write something much more to your liking.
Just take a look at these 10 Positive Affirmations for Success that will Change your Life.
2. See the positive side of every situation, even when you are surrounded by pure negativity.
This one is a bit harder to put into practice, which does not mean it’s impossible.
You can find positivity in everything by mentally holding on to something positive, whether this be family, friends, your faith, nature, someone’s sparkling eyes or whatever other glimmer of beauty.
If you seek it, you will find it.
3. At least once a day, take a moment and think of 5 things you are grateful for.
This will lighten your mood and give you some perspective of what really is important in life and how many blessings surround you already.
Here’re 60 Things To Be Thankful For In Life that can inspire you.
4. Change the mental images you allow to enter your mind.
How you see yourself and your surroundings make a huge difference to your thinking.
Instead of dwelling on dark, negative thoughts, consciously build and focus on positive, light and colorful images, thoughts and situations in your mind a few times a day.
Learn from this article how to change your mental images: How to Think Positive and Eliminate Negative Thoughts
If you are persistent and keep on working on yourself, your mind will automatically reject its negative thoughts and welcome the positive ones.
You are (or will become) what you think you are.
This is reasonable enough to be proactive about whatever is going on in your head.
More About Staying Positive
- 10 Practical Tips To Make Positive Thinking Your Habit
- Why Negative Emotions Aren’t That Bad (And How to Handle Them)
- 15 Ways to Practice Positive Self-Talk for Success
- 10 Scientifically Proven Ways To Stay Happy All The Time
Featured photo credit: Lauren Richmond via unsplash.com