As one of the most available fruits in the world, bananas are everywhere! From grocery stores to gas stations, every turn you take you’ll most likely encounter this common fruit.
For years it has been pounded into our heads that bananas are a good source of potassium and are monkeys’ favorite food. It is understood that bananas are green when they are unripe, turn yellow when they are ready to be eaten, and turn brown when forgotten, rotten and spoiled. We know they come in bunches and grow on trees, so what else is there to know about bananas? The details! We all know the basics of bananas, but do we know their unexpected benefits? Here are some bonus facts about the benefits of bananas you didn’t know about.
Banana Benefits for Your Body
- Potassium: Okay, so you remember your parents telling you that bananas provide potassium – what does that even mean? Well, potassium is good for your body because it helps regulate your blood pressure, which maintains a properly functioning heart. Obviously this is critical information to know because bananas keep your heart beating. The potassium found in bananas also benefits your bones. By helping to suppress calcium excretion, bananas reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis and brittle bones as you age.
- Fiber: Did you know that bananas are also an excellent source of fiber too? To aid in maintaining a healthy digestive system, bananas help food move smoothly through your digestive tract, improving the flow of your bathroom visits. As an added benefit – of course – the fiber in bananas also helps relieve the symptoms of heartburn too.
- Vitamins and Minerals: With high levels of Vitamin B6, bananas are essential to producing healthy blood. Not only do they contain good levels of Vitamin C, magnesium and manganese, they also contain a compound called cytolcin. This compound is believed to have the potential to increase white blood cells, which enhances your immunity. In short, bananas provide your body with vitamins and minerals that fight cancerous cell changes.
- Ulcers Beaters: Not only do bananas help fight against cancer, they also help to protect against stomach ulcers too. Other compounds found in bananas create a thicker, protective barrier in the stomach that defends against hydrochloric acid. Bananas also contain protease inhibitors that eliminate specific bacteria in the stomach that cause ulcers to form. What’s the moral of this bonus benefit? Fill your tummy with bananas to prevent holes from forming.
Banana Benefits for Your Mind
The benefits of bananas are not isolated to only the internal functions of the body. The benefits of bananas also extend to your body’s exterior as well as the essence of your being.
- Skin: Just like your skin, banana peels are useful too. They can be used to treat skin conditions like psoriasis and acne. Blended together with other ingredients, banana peels can also add moisture to your hair, restoring lost nutrients for a natural and radiant shine.
- Energy: In order to stay productive and engaged, your body needs energy right? Well, bananas definitely provide that for you. Their natural compounds infuse the body with energy that is frequent, steady and consistent. With this stability, your energy helps motivate your body to lose weight – It’s true! Bananas help you lose weight.
- Improves Your Mood and Reduces Your Stress: The best bonus benefit of bananas that you didn’t know about is how they affect your mood and stress levels. Bananas are a good source of tryptophan, a chemical when released in the body converts into serotonin. With proper serotonin levels, bananas help improve your mood, reducing your stress. Therefore, eating bananas will help you gain a more positive, stress-free outlook on life.
Do not be fooled by the common misconceptions that bananas are only good for levels of potassium. As you can see, the benefits of bananas that you didn’t know about are pretty unique. It’s no wonder why monkeys love them so much – they really do more than just taste good!