Although it may sound a little silly, there few things more annoying than painting your nails, only to then have it smudge or crack. Well no more! Here are 35 nail hacks you should be using to keep your nails strong, healthy and beautiful.
1. Apply thin layers of polish
Applying thick layers means that only the top later will dry, leaving the rest of your nail polish prone to smudging. By applying a few thin coats, you ensure your hard work will stay put longer.
2. Make your own nail art dotting tool
If you like to get a little creative with your nails then this tool from The Beauty Department is a necessity! Simply get a pin and eraser and get creative.
3. DIY Glitter Nail Polish
Becca of The Crafted Sparrow shows easy way to DIY your own glittery nail polish. This is fantastic if you want a little some control over just how glittery your nail polish is.
4. Remove stubborn glitter polish using tin foil
For this method to work, you must first place your cotton pad or ball in nail polish remover and let it soak in. Then place the saturated cotton on your nail and wrap your finger in tin foil, making sure it’s tight. After 10 minutes that glitter polish should come straight off.
5. Acetone + Glycerine = Best nail polish remover ever
This mix is a wonderful replacement for damaging 100% acetone removers.
6. Use an elastic band or band aids to get the perfect french tip
7. Or purchase this nifty nail tool
Get it here!
8. Get the perfect manicure using this chart
9. Create your own nail polish remover jar
10. Whiten your nails using toothpaste
11. Remove mistakes without ruining the nail polish
Dip a thin makeup brush or paint brush into your polish remover and clean up those messy bits!
12. Use cold water to dry nails faster
After two minutes of waiting for your nails to dry in the air, submerge them in ice cold water for a further three minutes (take breaks if you need to).
13. Add corn starch to clear nail polish to create a matte look
Use this mixture as a top coat and you’ll have instant matte nails.
14. Get a glittery, manicured look, using a sponge
15. Create a leopard print using pencil erasers
16. Use a white base coat to make your nails neon
17. The easiest nail art tool of all – a Sharpie
18. Apply a thick layer of hand cream before removing nail polish
Dark polish can stain your skin, especially if you’re pale. By applying a layer of hand cream you make it almost impossible for the polish to stain.
19. Apply Vaseline around your nail to stop any messy mistakes sticking
20. Shellac hack
Finally! Click here to get the full tutorial.
21. Here’s how to fix a broken nail
22. Super fancy feather nails
23. Create an easy ombre on your nails
24. Avoid bubbles by rolling your nail polish, not shaking it
25. Not all nail shapes are created equal
26. Make your own cuticle cure at home
27. Take care of your cuticles
Healthy cuticles equal healthy nails. Never cut your cuticles, but instead gently push them back and keep them moisturized.
28. Keep your nail kit to yourself
That is, unless you like sharing germs and risking infection.
29. Use a glass file rather than a plastic one
Glass files are significantly more hygienic and are less damaging to your nails than their metal counterparts.
30. Find the best shade of red to suit your skin tone
31. Get the best nude too
32. Use vinegar to make your polish stay on even longer
33. Pair the best colors in your mani pedi
34. Master the perfect DIY manicure
35. Make the perfect nail polish storage box
Featured photo credit: Girl Nail Art Design via picjumbo.com