“Happiness is a how, not a what. A talent, not an object.” – Herman HesseAdvertising
The older we get, the more that we experience life and the more that we learn what truly makes us happy.Advertising
Personally, happiness has always been an intriguing point of interest for me. I have always seen happiness as the epitome of all success that life can bring. If you’re happy, then surely you’ve got everything sorted, right? What more could you want?Advertising
Happiness comes in many forms. The good thing is it can be extremely different from person to person. Why is this a good thing? You can tailor everything you do in your life to bring out the happiness in you. There are however, a number of key themes that span across all individuals for finding happiness.Advertising
To bring out the best in you and help you live a super-happy life, there are 10 things that you need to learn.
- Learn to say I love you. For some reason, this can be a hard one for many people, particularly with immediate family members. Generally, as you grow older you will come to realize what your family (particularly your parents) have done for you throughout your life and you will learn to become more grateful for what you have. Learning to say “I love you” can make your relationships blossom, and it builds transparency, honesty and trust, ultimately helping you in becoming a happier person.
- Learn to forgive. Have there been times in your life where you have felt betrayed or let down? Have there been times when you have felt that you have let others down? Although sometimes hard, forgiving others and being able to forgive yourself is essential for being able to move forward and regain a positive outlook in life.
- Learn to say no. Do you struggle with saying no to people, events or situations? Without saying no, you can become overwhelmed and experience imbalance in your life. Learning to say no is essential for being able to focus on what you truly believe in, what you value and what is important to you in your life.
- Learn to live your passions every day. Do you currently incorporate your passions into your everyday life? Spending even the smallest amount of time living your passion each day can have a huge impact to the way you feel and to what you want to achieve in your life.
- Learn to eat healthy & exercise regularly. The old saying goes ‘you are what you eat’ and even in this day and age the saying is truer than ever. The amount of information on health and wellbeing these days is absolutely enormous. Scientifically proven through the release of endorphins, eating healthy and exercising regularly can help you live a more fulfilled life and help you feel happier on a daily basis.
- Learn to connect deeply. Are you afraid of connecting deeply with others at the thought that you may be making yourself too vulnerable in doing so? Making yourself vulnerable and connecting deeply with others is actually not that hard. Connecting deeply with others can help you become more relaxed, open and honest, helping you to be yourself and ultimately help you become a much happier person.
- Learn to see life differently. What’s unique about you? Are you creating your own life and your own lifestyle? Life is not meant to be taken so seriously. Life is simply about enjoying the time that we have. We only live once. The older you get the more you will realize how fast time slips by, reminding you to slow down and appreciate the moment.
- Learn to set your own goals. Do you set your own goals and work towards them? Or does the World around you do it for you? We normally get brought up in a society where parents tell you what grades you should aim for, the media tells you how you should live your life, and your teachers tell you how to go about your schooling. Setting your own goals, focusing on them and pursuing them will enable you to follow what you truly believe in, live by your values and ultimately help you live a much happier life.
- Learn to count your blessings. What do you take for granted? As you grow and become more aware of the World around you, you will come to realize that you are extremely blessed. Perhaps you are blessed with good health, a good community or the freedom to live a life that you choose. The fact that you have the ability to connect to the internet right now in your leisure, read and learn is a blessing that many do not have. What do you have in your life or what experiences have you had that other people may have not? Remind yourself of this every day. Counting your blessings will help you take to the World with a positive outlook and a mindset to make a difference.
- Learn to give. Giving is a fundamental and essential ingredient for happiness. There is no doubt that the more you give the more you get in return. Giving to others can enhance your relationships, build trust, but most importantly, it can make a difference in the life of someone else, and this is the ultimate in happiness!
Have you mastered the 10 key ingredients for happiness? Which ones do you feel would benefit you the most? What can you do today to ensure you go to bed tonight feeling super-happy?
(Photo credit: Woman Holding Smiley Emoticon via Shutterstock)
Last Updated on June 19, 2019
How to Practice Positive Meditation in 2 Simple Steps
Just by simply spending some effort and time, staying positive every day can be easily achieved. All that is required is a fraction of your time, 10-15 minutes a day to cultivate the positive you!
But first, what is really positive thinking? Do you have to be in an upbeat, cheerful and enthusiastic mood all day to be positive minded?
No. Positive thinking simply means the absence of negative thoughts and emotions – in other words, inner peace!
When you are truly at peace within yourself, you are naturally thinking positively. You don’t have to fight off negative thoughts, or search desperately for more positive thoughts. It just happens on its own. And here are 2 positive thinking meditation tips to empower you:
1. Relax as You Meditate
A powerful, simple yet rarely used technique is meditation. Meditation doesn’t have to take the form of static body posture. It can be as simple as sitting in a comfortable chair listening to soothing music. Or performing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing exercises.
Meditation is all about letting go of stressful or worrisome thoughts. That’s it! If you spend just a few minutes per day feeling relaxed and peaceful, you automatically shift your mind into a more positive place. When you FEEL more relaxed, you naturally THINK more positively!
Start with a short period of time, like 5 or 10 minutes a day. You can meditate first thing in the morning, during your lunch break, right before you go to bed at night, or any time. The most important thing is to consciously let go of unproductive thoughts and feelings. Just let them go for those few minutes, and you may decide not to pick them back up again at all!
2. Practice Daily Affirmations
Positive affirmations can be used throughout the day anywhere and at anytime you need them, the more you use them the easier positive thoughts will take over negative ones and you will see benefits happening in your life.
What are affirmations? Affirmations are statements that are used in a positive present tense language. For example, “Every day, in every way, I’m getting better, better and better” is a popular affirmation used by the late Norman Vincent Peale.
So how does one go about using positive affirmations in everyday life? Let’s look at some guidelines to follow when reciting your daily affirmations.
- Use first person pronouns in your message (I)
- Use present tense (I have)
- Use positive messages (I am happy)
- Repeat your affirmations on a consistent basis
Affirmations have to be said with conviction and consistency. Start your day by saying your affirmations out loud. It wouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to repeat your affirmations; yet when done consistently, these positive affirmations will seep into the subconscious mind to cultivate the new positive you.
Here’s an example of a “success affirmation” you can use on a daily basis:
I am successful in everything I do. Every venture I get into returns wealth to me. I am constantly productive. I always perform to the full potential I have and have respect for my abilities.
My work is always given positive recognition. I augment my income constantly. I always have adequate money for everything I require. I spend my money prudently always. My work is always rewarded.
You can find more examples here: 10 Positive Affirmations for Success that will Change your Life
Remember, affirmations work on the basis of conviction and consistency. Do yourself a favor and make a commitment to see this through.
Begin practicing these positive thinking tips right now. And I wish you continued empowerment and growth on your positive thinking journey.
More About Positive Thinking
- 10 Practical Tips To Make Positive Thinking Your Habit
- How to Have Happy Thoughts and Train Your Brain to Be Happy
- Meditation Can Change Your Life: The Power of Mindfulness
- 15 Reasons Why Meditation Will Make You Successful
Featured photo credit: Jacob Townsend via unsplash.com