“Happiness is a how, not a what. A talent, not an object.” – Herman HesseAdvertising
The older we get, the more that we experience life and the more that we learn what truly makes us happy.Advertising
Personally, happiness has always been an intriguing point of interest for me. I have always seen happiness as the epitome of all success that life can bring. If you’re happy, then surely you’ve got everything sorted, right? What more could you want?Advertising
Happiness comes in many forms. The good thing is it can be extremely different from person to person. Why is this a good thing? You can tailor everything you do in your life to bring out the happiness in you. There are however, a number of key themes that span across all individuals for finding happiness.Advertising
To bring out the best in you and help you live a super-happy life, there are 10 things that you need to learn.
- Learn to say I love you. For some reason, this can be a hard one for many people, particularly with immediate family members. Generally, as you grow older you will come to realize what your family (particularly your parents) have done for you throughout your life and you will learn to become more grateful for what you have. Learning to say “I love you” can make your relationships blossom, and it builds transparency, honesty and trust, ultimately helping you in becoming a happier person.
- Learn to forgive. Have there been times in your life where you have felt betrayed or let down? Have there been times when you have felt that you have let others down? Although sometimes hard, forgiving others and being able to forgive yourself is essential for being able to move forward and regain a positive outlook in life.
- Learn to say no. Do you struggle with saying no to people, events or situations? Without saying no, you can become overwhelmed and experience imbalance in your life. Learning to say no is essential for being able to focus on what you truly believe in, what you value and what is important to you in your life.
- Learn to live your passions every day. Do you currently incorporate your passions into your everyday life? Spending even the smallest amount of time living your passion each day can have a huge impact to the way you feel and to what you want to achieve in your life.
- Learn to eat healthy & exercise regularly. The old saying goes ‘you are what you eat’ and even in this day and age the saying is truer than ever. The amount of information on health and wellbeing these days is absolutely enormous. Scientifically proven through the release of endorphins, eating healthy and exercising regularly can help you live a more fulfilled life and help you feel happier on a daily basis.
- Learn to connect deeply. Are you afraid of connecting deeply with others at the thought that you may be making yourself too vulnerable in doing so? Making yourself vulnerable and connecting deeply with others is actually not that hard. Connecting deeply with others can help you become more relaxed, open and honest, helping you to be yourself and ultimately help you become a much happier person.
- Learn to see life differently. What’s unique about you? Are you creating your own life and your own lifestyle? Life is not meant to be taken so seriously. Life is simply about enjoying the time that we have. We only live once. The older you get the more you will realize how fast time slips by, reminding you to slow down and appreciate the moment.
- Learn to set your own goals. Do you set your own goals and work towards them? Or does the World around you do it for you? We normally get brought up in a society where parents tell you what grades you should aim for, the media tells you how you should live your life, and your teachers tell you how to go about your schooling. Setting your own goals, focusing on them and pursuing them will enable you to follow what you truly believe in, live by your values and ultimately help you live a much happier life.
- Learn to count your blessings. What do you take for granted? As you grow and become more aware of the World around you, you will come to realize that you are extremely blessed. Perhaps you are blessed with good health, a good community or the freedom to live a life that you choose. The fact that you have the ability to connect to the internet right now in your leisure, read and learn is a blessing that many do not have. What do you have in your life or what experiences have you had that other people may have not? Remind yourself of this every day. Counting your blessings will help you take to the World with a positive outlook and a mindset to make a difference.
- Learn to give. Giving is a fundamental and essential ingredient for happiness. There is no doubt that the more you give the more you get in return. Giving to others can enhance your relationships, build trust, but most importantly, it can make a difference in the life of someone else, and this is the ultimate in happiness!
Have you mastered the 10 key ingredients for happiness? Which ones do you feel would benefit you the most? What can you do today to ensure you go to bed tonight feeling super-happy?
(Photo credit: Woman Holding Smiley Emoticon via Shutterstock)
Last Updated on July 18, 2019
10 Small Changes To Make Your House Feel Like A Home
Your house is more than just a building that you live in. It should be a home that makes you feel welcome as soon as you open the front door.
Making your house feel like a home is not something that simply happens on its own. You need to make some changes to a house when you move in, to give it that cozy, warm feeling that turns it into a true home. To help you speed the process, follow this guide to 10 small changes to make your house feel like a home.
1. Make the Windows Your Own
When you move into a home, they often come with boring Venetian blinds or less than attractive curtains.
One of the best ways you can instantly warm your home and make it showcase your style is to add some new window dressing. Adding beautiful curtains not only improves your home’s appearance, but it can also help to control the temperature.
2. Put up Some Art
If you have a lot of bare walls in your home, it will seem sterile no matter how beautiful your paint or wallpaper is.
Hanging art on the walls will instantly give it personality and make it feel like home.
3. Improve the Aroma
A house that is not filled with inviting smells will never feel like a home. There are loads of ways you can make your home smell nice. There are tons of air fresheners on the market you can use.
Incense and scented candles are a nice option as well. Don’t forget that baking in a home is also a great way to fill it with an aroma that instantly smells like home as soon as you open the front door.
4. Put out Lots of Pillows and Throws
A great way to make your home look warm and inviting is to place lots of pillows and throws out on the furniture. It is much better to have too many pillows than not enough.
There is nothing like the feeling of sinking into a cushiony pillow that feels like a cloud to make you feel like you are at home.
5. Instantly Class up Your Closet
If your closet is filled with wire or plastic hangers, it will never truly feel homey. To instantly make your closet feel classy, change out your old hangers for wooden ones.
Not only do they look great, but they are better for hanging your clothes as well.
6. Improve Your Air Quality
One of the most overlooked ways to make your house feel more like a home is to improve its air quality.
The easiest and best way to upgrade the air quality in your home is to change the old, dirty filters in your furnace regularly. Get some air filters delivered to your home so that you always have some on hand.
7. Fill it with Plants
Another way to improve the air quality in your home is to fill it with plants. You should have plants in every room of your home.
They help to improve the air quality and they look beautiful. As well as making your home appear homier, plants also help to boost your mood and lower your stress levels.
8. Change the Doorknobs
Most people don’t really give their doorknobs a second thought unless they are broken. That is a shame because changing your doorknobs is an easy way to add personality to your home.
Changing your old, boring doorknobs to new ones that are works of art will instantly brighten your home.
9. Upgrade Your Tub or Shower
There is nothing like luxuriating in a whirlpool bath or steam shower to make the cares of the day melt away. Your family deserves a bit of luxury when they are in their bathroom.
Install a new shower or tub today to make your bathroom worthy of a place in your home.
10. Fresh Cut Flowers
You can make any room in your house feel homier by placing a vase full of beautiful flowers in it. The gorgeous look and intoxicating aroma of fresh cut flowers will immediately brighten your day when you encounter them.
You don’t have to make all these changes at once. Try one or two a day though, and your house will feel like a home before you know it. The trick is to constantly keep adding these homey touches to make your home a place worthy of its name.