Gretchen Rubin from The Happiness Project has an excellent list of tips for getting that special someone in your lives to do chores without resorting to nagging. I have a hunch, this will be a much-printed and distributed article.
Here’s a smattering:
- Have clear assignments. I always call repairmen; the Big Man always empties the Diaper Genie.
- Every once in a while, do your sweetheart’s task, for a treat. This kind of pitching-in wins enormous goodwill.
- Assign chores based on personal priorities. I hate a messy bedroom more than the Big Man, but he hates a messy kitchen more than I. So I do more tidying in the bedroom, and he does more in the kitchen.
- Do it yourself. I used to be annoyed with the Big Man because we never had cash in the house. Then I realized: why did I get to assign that job? Now I do it, and we always have cash, and I’m not annoyed.
- Keep a to-do list. That way, if an energetic mood strikes, you know what needs doing. This works very well with the Big Man. He makes fun of me, but I see him consult the list.
The list is HUGE, and all very useful. Bookmark it. Print it. Make it a set of rules for your house. Thanks, Gretchen.
Tips for Getting Your Sweetheart to Do Chores Without Nagging – [The Happiness Project]