“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – Henry David Thoreau
Have you ever thought about traveling solo but then didn’t follow through with a trip?
If you answered yes, chances are you didn’t follow through because you were afraid it would be dangerous, or you were afraid it wouldn’t be fun without a companion.
Once you take your first trip you realize both assumptions are wrong. Solo travel is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have. The benefits outweigh the risks and the experience strengthens life skills needed for success in all aspects of life.Advertising
Travel, like life, is about looking at situations, taking in the factors, and predicting an outcome. You learn to act based on your assessment. Sometimes, you assess correctly and sail through without a problem. Other times, you may judge wrong. It is in those times that you learn to reassess and solve immediate problems. This empowers skills needed for resilience.
Solo Travel Helps You To Face Fears
The most common fears associated with solo travel are safety and loneliness. Most solo travelers, especially women, report that well-meaning friends and family members scare them with concerns for their safety. The same travelers report once out on the road, they realize those fears were not warranted providing they use common sense and know these tips.
Solo Travel Strengthens Problem-Solving SkillsAdvertising
When you are traveling solo every situation, big or small, can help strengthen problem-solving skills. Missing a connecting flight, or getting lost on a back road with no cell signal can be…well quite scary. Learning how to deal with those types of situations as they happen forces you to focus on solutions instead of dwelling on problems. This improves the ability to assess situations, which in turn strengthens the quality of decisions.
Solo Travel Boosts Your Confidence
Imagine being stranded in a foreign land where you don’t speak the language and all you have is a map and symbols to get around. This is often common for travelers who venture to another country. Something amazing happens when these travelers find their hostel, or they begin to understand bits and pieces of the foreign language.They become more confident in their own abilities. Every time you face a fear, or solve a problem, you build confidence in yourself.
Solo Travel Teaches That Setbacks are a Part of LifeAdvertising
When traveling solo, it is inevitable that you will have setbacks that delay you. You learn to deal with them. Setbacks teach that an obstacle is not the end of a journey, but a road block or detour. The more setbacks you are faced with, the better you are at moving around them without allowing them to derail you. Setbacks are just a part of life and the more experienced you are at handling them the more successful you are in life.
Solo Travel Teaches Flexibility
Solo travel is especially constructive for people who are afraid to be out of control. You only have so much control when traveling alone. You must learn to be flexible. Side trips and unexpected stops can be one of the most rewarding parts of the journey. You can organize and plan a trip down to the minute, but in reality, it will not happen the way you have planned. Flexibility is necessary for solo travel, life and business.
Solo Travel Strengthens FaithAdvertising
Faith rises from self-confidence, however, life and society suppress both. Solo travel forces you to break out of your comfort zone, believe in yourself, and rely on faith to move through obstacles, fear, and the unfamiliar. Through faith in yourself, and the higher power that guides you, you learn that you are capable of much more than you ever imagined.
Solo Travel Helps You To View Yourself as a Survivor
In solo travel you become strong, self-reliant, confident, smart, and ready to face anything. You become more optimistic, more altruistic, and can more easily understand your purpose in life. Together, all of these strengths empower resilience.
Once you complete a journey you understand there is much more to life than mediocrity. You become stronger and resilient as the result. Lessons learned on the road will follow you throughout life. People who travel learn more about themselves and the world. As a result, solo travel creates resilient leaders with true grit.
If you have traveled solo, I would love to hear your story. In the comment section below, please share how solo travel has made you more resilient and ready to take on the world.
Featured photo credit: By Gulan Ballsay via flickr.com
Last Updated on October 18, 2018
50+ Best Motivational Quotes To Prepare You For Any Challenges In Life
Life is filled with highs and lows —happiness and struggles that will test your resilience and integrity, push you to overcome challenges and leave you with lessons that will make you even stronger on your way up.
It’s the way you feel and think about yourself, including your expectations and beliefs about what is possible to you, greatly determines everything that happens to you.
It all starts with your thoughts. When you change your thoughts, you transform the quality of your life. (Right, Nancy’s story is a typical example!)
Below is a list of the best motivational quotes to inspire you to start your day with a blast:
Table of Contents
Quotes for self-assurance
1. Don’t downgrade your dream just to fit your reality, upgrade your conviction to match your destiny.
2. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.
3. You are confined only by the walls you build yourself.
4. The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others
5. You attract what you are, not what you want. If you want great, then be great.
6. It’s not who you are that holds you behind, it’s who you think your are not.
Quotes about positivity
7. Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.
8. You should never regret anything in life. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it is experience.
9. Falling down is an accident, staying down is a choice.
10. If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs more of that.
11. Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen.
12. Don’t be afraid to give up the good and go for great.
13. Remember that life’s greatest lessons are usually learned from worst times and from the worst mistakes.
Quotes for work and success
14. Don’t talk, just act. Don’t say, just show. Don’t promise, just prove.
15. Never stop doing great just because someone doesn’t give you credit.
16. Discipline is doing what needs to be done, even if you don’t want to.
17. Work while they sleep. Learn while they party. Save while they spend. Live like they dream.
18. The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire, not things we fear.
19. Never apologize for having high standards, people who really want to be in your life will rise to meet them.
20. If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.
21. Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it, time will pass anyway.
22. Don’t fear failure. Fear being in the exact same place next year as you are today.
23. A hill is just another opportunity to leave your competition behind.
24. Don’t quit. You’re already in pain. You’re already hurt. Get a reward from it.
25. Hustle until you no longer need to introduce yourself.
26. You didn’t come this far only to come this far.
27. Be selective in your battles for sometimes peace is better than being right.
28 If we keep doing what we are doing, we’re going to keep getting what we’re getting.
29. You will never know your limits until you push yourself to them.
30. Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.
31. The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there.
32. If your dreams don’t scare you, they are not big enough.
33. If you can’t handle stress, you won’t manage success.
34. Don’t be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams.
35. Don’t mistake silence for weakness. Smart people don’t plan big moves out loud.
36. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
37. Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe dedicated.
38. You become who you spend your time with.
39. Be stubborn about your goals and flexible about your methods.
40. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
41. If you don’t build your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs.
42. Between stimulus and response is our greatest power –the freedom to choose.
43. What comes easy won’t last, what lasts won’t come easy.
44. Don’t limit your challenges, challenge your limits.
45. Work until your idols become your rivals.
Quotes about money
46. Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune.
47. I create new enemies every day, it’s called business.
48. When you have a Million Dollar vision, don’t surround yourself with 1 cent minds.
49. You can’t get rich thinking poor.
50. Doing what is comfortable is rarely profitable.
51. If you can count your money, work harder.
If you find yourself feeling lost and frustrated, it’s never too late to change things up. Check out this guide: