Dreams have an impact on most of us in some way or another.
I have had nightmares that rendered me unable to sleep; I have experienced vivid lucid dreams and astral projections; and I have had dreams that came true. But what do dreams mean ?
Dreams Cultivate Successful People
Whether you realize it or not, dreams helped to mold our society in various ways.
- The father of quantum physics, Niels Bohr, claims to have distinctly seen the composition of the atom in a dream, which led to our present day understanding of atomic structure.
- Albert Einstein came up with the Theory of Relativity based on a dream that gave him a vision about how the universe worked.
- Nikola Tesla, one of the world’s greatest minds and the inventor of Alternating Current (AC) power systems, functioned often in a “lucid dream-like” state to undertake complex scientific research.
- Both Einstein and Tesla were practitioners of astral projection techniques.
- Larry Page (founder of Google), Madame C.J. Walker (first female American self-made millionaire) and Elias Howe (inventor of the sewing machine) all got glimpses of their business ideas from their dreams.
- Musicians such as Beethoven, Handel, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones attested that some of their compositions were based on music they heard in dreams.
- Successful authors Stephen King, Mary Shelley, Robert Lewis Stevenson and Stephanie Meyers dreamt some of the books that they went on to write.
These occurrences are not uncommon, and the list is endless with such anecdotes.
Psychologists Say Dreams Are More Than Just Mental Pictures
Many parapsychologists believe that dream precognition  is a real phenomenon, while others have coined various theories in their quest to unravel the brain’s ultimate secret: what do dreams mean?
Psychologist, Carl Jung, felt that dreams were connected to the subconscious and that during sleep, the unconscious mind sought solutions to day-to-day problems .
While Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, analyzed dreams in his body of work The Interpretation of Dreams. His conclusion was that our dreams are driven by our unconscious mind and repressed urges, thoughts, and desires.
The Meaning Imbedded in Dreams of Common Themes
Water dreams are connected to your emotional and subconscious state.
- Swimming means you are going with the flow of things.
- Struggling in the water is indicative of struggles.
- Being underwater symbolizes feeling overwhelmed, and drowning signifies feeling overcome with emotions or difficulties.
To see yourself falling in your dream is a sign of the fear of failure or taking risks .
It is associated with is a sense of losing control over what is happening.
Flying represents high spirits or happiness that is often reflective of something in life. It could also be linked to working towards specific goals and being full of hope .
This interpretation depends on how you feel about being naked within the dream .
If you feel negative, it denotes vulnerability or insecurities.
On the other hand, if you feel positive, it would imply freedom and comfort within yourself.
5 Things You Do To Dream Whatever You Want
1. De-clutter your bedroom and keep it tidy
This will promote tranquility, calmness, and relaxation. I also always opt for neutral and matching colors in my bedroom, with lightly scented candles and oils.
2. Ensure that your bed is comfortable
If you wake up with a sore back or feeling tired every day, check your mattress and pillows. A comfortable bed induces more comfortable sleep.
If you can not afford a memory foam mattress, memory foam mattress toppers can sometimes be almost as good for a fraction of the price.
3. Don’t watch disturbing or scary videos before you sleep
What you do before you fall asleep may continue in the REM stage of sleep, which is when your most intense dreams will occur.
4. Try to eat at least 3 hours before you go to sleep
Avoid a very heavy meal as this would make your body feel uncomfortable.
Dreaming Is an Unknown yet Exciting Adventure
Since the dawn of time, mankind has been asking that question about what do dreams mean. Today, it remains just as shrouded in mystery.
That, however, doesn’t mean that you can’t benefit from the unknown, have the best night’s sleep, and dream whenever you can.
Featured photo credit: Bruce Christianson via unsplash.com
|||^||Lifehack: 10 Things Your Dreams Can Tell You About Yourself|
|||^||theguardian: Precognitive dreaming should not be dismissed as coincidence|
|||^||DreamStop: DREAM MEANINGS – LEARN HOW TO INTERPRET YOUR DREAMS|
|||^||DreamsCloud: What do water dreams mean|
|||^||DreamsCloud: What does it mean to dream of falling?|
|||^||DreamsCloud: What Does It Mean When You Dream About Flying?|
|||^||DreamsCloud: What does it mean when I dream I am Naked?|
|||^||WebMD: What Are REM and Non-REM Sleep?|