As we know, for many genetic, environmental, and physiological reasons, it is not always possible to have or maintain an abundant amount of hair on the head; unfortunately this is a very common condition that is not possible to prevent. Nowadays, there are many products that promise to prevent or stop hair loss, but there are also other ways or medical methods (surgeries) for hair implants, and covering baldness.
You might not have heard about this topic too much so, let’s be clearer. According to the professionals of Harley Street Hair Clinic, FUE, or Follicular Unit Extraction (sometimes it is also referred to as Follicular Unit Transplantation) is a hair transplant surgery that involves extracting individual hair, usually from the sides and back of the head.
This is How This Procedure Works
A FUE Hair Transplant is a minimal surgical procedure that involves removing healthy hair follicles from another donor area and grafting them one-by-one into the bald areas of the head. Experts say that this is a typical procedure that takes about eight hours and it is not painful.
It starts by applying a local anesthetic, which is injected into the donor area, then the desired number of hairs are extracted one by one from it. Then, the balding area is also anesthetized, and numerous micro-incisions are made using a specially shaped micro-needle. Finally, the grafts are placed into these incisions. It sounds pretty simple, and it actually is.
It is really recommended that you take your time to find the most professional clinics and surgeons. Despite the fact that this is a minor surgery, you still have to do some research and take some advice before making a decision.
Here are Some Advantages to This Procedure
- It doesn’t leave distinctive scars.
- Shorter recovery time than other procedures (it takes less than a week).
- Natural look and results.
- General anesthesia is not necessary, only local anesthesia is used.
- You can have multiple interventions in a few days. As there are no seams in the donor’s area; the extraction of follicles can continue as long as the patient wants.
- It needs less manpower than other methods or surgeries; just one doctor with one or two assistants can run a proper procedure.
What About the Cons?
- It doesn’t hurt too much, but it can be uncomfortable because of the length of time it takes.
- It’s not cheap (an average procedure costs around $11,000).
- It takes longer to make each graft, which prolongs the total time and number of follicles that can be removed and implanted each day. This is one of the reasons why it costs more FUE technique.
- For procedures of more than 1000 follicular units it is necessary to shave the head. There are many men and woman who get rejected to take the procedure because they simply didn’t want to shave their heads. But everybody think that it is definitely worth.
The Follicular Unit Extraction is an exciting scientific and medical step. The promise of having an almost scarless surgery is enticing to both patient and surgeon, and it has been simplified. The reasons people are selecting FUE rather than other methods may be the avoidance of a linear scar, short recovery time, the desire for a naturally pain-free post-operation period, or, simply the idea of having a minimally invasive procedure.
This technique can definitely be considered as an important alternative to all those traditional hair transplant procedures for certain selected patients. Technology is making big steps in many areas, and the medical area is one of the most important ones.
Everything that can be made with the purpose of looking for human wellness should be supported.
Featured photo credit: permanentmakeuptraininginstitute via permanentmakeuptraininginstitute.com