According to a Gallup poll from last year, almost a third of Americans are trying to lose weight. Unfortunately, most people have a very hard time following through. One of the biggest reasons is that weight loss simply isn’t much fun.
If you need a little more motivation to stick to your weight loss plan, you should find a more enjoyable approach. Here are some fun ways that can help you lose weight.
1. Create a Bootcamp Club
Many people feel that working out is depressing. One of the biggest reasons they don’t like it is that it is too isolating.
It is easier to stay motivated if you work out with a few friends. There is nothing more fun than bonding with a friend during a jog or doing squats. However, you still need to keep yourself focused. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Make sure your friends aren’t too out of shape. Otherwise, they may hold you back.
- Set some ground rules. You don’t want to work out with someone that is going to chat the entire time.
- Don’t be too reliant on your friends. If they can’t make it one week, you should plan on working out without them.
Ask your friends if they are interested in joining you for a workout group. If they aren’t interested or are too busy, you can reach out to a few strangers on Meetup.com, Exercisefriends.com, Poundfit.com or any other similar site.
2. Create a Cool Playlist
Everyone loves listening to their favorite songs. Listening to music can help you get through your exercise routines. It provides a rush of endorphins that dull the pain and give you the extra drive you need.
What are some great songs to listen to? Women’s Health Magazine created some great exercise playlists you may want to check out. They suggest listening to:
- Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River”, “Like I Love You” and “Sexy Back”
- Britney Spears’ “Til the World Ends”, “Me Against the Music” and “Toxic”
Of course, you don’t have to listen to Justin Timberlake or Britney Spears. You may have your own favorite songs that you want to listen to.
Just make sure that you listen to music that gets you excited. If it is too soothing, it may discourage you from giving it your 100%.
3. Reward Yourself for Meeting Milestones
We all need a little positive reinforcement sometimes. Rewarding yourself can give you the motivation you need to push yourself to your limits. Of course, you don’t want to reward yourself with junk food, so you should find something that doesn’t ruin your goals.
“Often times I see my patients reward a weight loss by indulging in foods they know aren’t the best for their goals. Instead, I suggest using things like manicures, SoulCycle classes and workout gear as a reward for all their hard work,”((http://www.eatthis.com/weight-loss-diet-resolutions))says Leah Kaufman, a dietitian at NYU Langone Medical Center.
4. Find More Interesting Ways to Work Out
Most people try to lose weight by running. There is nothing wrong with that if you enjoy running three to four days a week, but there are other ways that you can get exercise instead. Here are some tips to consider:
- Try kickboxing. If you are a more competitive person, you may really like it.
- Try belly dancing. Belly dancing is tough, but it is fun.
- Take country or swing dancing lessons. You won’t burn quite as many calories, but it is a lot of fun. You also get to meet people of the opposite sex, so it can be great if you are single.
- Join a pickup league. Many towns have pickup leagues for people that like playing softball, tennis, basketball and a lot of other sports.
There are hundreds of ways to lose weight. Find some that you enjoy.
Losing weight doesn’t have to be boring. There are loads of ways to have fun while getting a workout, so you don’t have an excuse for not being motivated!
Featured photo credit: Pexels via pexels.com