There are many different hair types and textures. These types range from 1-4 and extend further from a, b, or c. For example, my hair is of the coarsest type, which is 4b. Most women, just like me, with type 4 hair have difficulty getting our hair straightened or to stay that way. Most times we have to use chemical relaxers and hair styling tools to achieve a straight hair.
It is important to note, that not all hair styling tools work for all types of hair, so you should be wary of the various products and tools you use on your hair. The Flat Iron (also referred to as a hair straightener) is a tool which can be used for styling your hair in a variety of ways including straightening, curling, waves and giving your hair a silky and smooth finish. It is considered as one of the safest hair styling instruments available.
However, you should be careful because most flat irons do not have enough temperature, and according to a review, “If you choose the wrong flat iron, you could end up with damaged hair from uneven heat”. This narrows down the choices for women who intend to straighten their hair to get that sleek and shiny look.
Regardless of any bumps along the way, there are always great options and methods for straightening your hair. From personal experience and honest hair advice, I have found out that it takes great time and care to make your hair look exactly how you want, so it’s important to invest in just the right hair straightener for the job. Whether your hair is long, wavy, curly, short or you need to straighten your weave, there are several ways that have been tried out by different women for you to consider.
For me, I usually condition and wash my hair, let it air dry, then use a flat hair to straighten out my tresses. The key to my technique is that I part my hair into small sections before using the flat iron. The result? My hair is sleek and shiny, and I only run the flat iron through my hair once. You can put relaxer on your hair but that won’t actually straighten it out completely. Relaxers soften your hair and loosen the curls, so you should use a flat iron after that to leave your hair completely straight, sleek, and full of a shine. I will guide you through these steps to help you achieve that sleek and shiny look.
How to Straighten Your Relaxed Hair
To make your hair look really great and get that cool look you are after, simply follow these steps to take your hair from relaxed to radiant with a great technique and a flat iron.
- Deep condition your hair. You can make your own deep hair conditioner or just purchase one from a salon.
- Moisturize your hair before relaxing and exposing your hair to excess heat because relaxers can dry out your hair. This protects your hair.
- Plug in your flat iron and set it to your desired temperature.
- While it heats up, apply a thermal heat hair protectant over your hair and brush it through to make sure all the hair strands are thoroughly protected.
- Divide your hair several sections.
- Starting from the bottom section, place the flat iron as close to your scalp as possible and start straightening. Go through this process until you completely straighten all the sections you created.
- To finish up your look, apply a little serum to your hair then start straightening out again with the flat iron. Make sure you cover every strand of hair.
- Enjoy your straight, silky, sleek and smooth hair!
Although it might be difficult to find, there are several flat irons for black hair out there. Also, with this technique and a flat iron you can get any coarse hair to get that shiny and smooth feel.
Featured photo credit: Live Beauty Health via livebeautyhealth.com