The beauty industry is rapidly becoming more and more accessible to men who want to wear makeup. Nowadays, more men are wearing makeup and they are proud of it! While men who wear makeup are not as commonly accepted as women who do, it’s entirely your choice whether you want to wear it or not. If you are a man interested in wearing makeup, there is a lot you need to know about the different types of makeup to invest in. This can include, but is not limited to, mascara, concealer, bronzer, foundation, and eyeliner. For beginners, making a choice on which to invest is not the only challenge, but also applying them. Just like a light makeup application can go a long way to to hide blemish/scars and enhance your physical attractiveness, a rough application could take you an altogether different direction – one that you might not like.
As beginners, you might face a lot difficulties in selecting, applying, and matching your makeup to the clothes you wear. For men who are interested in makeup, beginners or those already familiar with the craft, these three hacks are very essential to help you achieve the look you desire.
1. Know Your Makeup Staples
When taking on the modern world of male grooming and entering the territory of makeup, it’s essential for beginners to know what beauty staples/products every makeup arsenal should consist of. Male makeup gurus or YouTubers often make some specifications of their favorite and staple products to viewers or beginners desiring the best of their makeup choices and gaining an understanding of makeup application. They also suggest the importance of a daily makeup routine when mastering perfect application.
Some of the staples commonly recommended by makeup gurus that should be present in every makeup routine are:
- Brushes or Sponges: What’s an artist without their tools? Ensure that you have the means for a perfect makeup look by having the right brush to apply your makeup. Sigma brushes has a great line of brushes that are high quality.
- Brow Makeup: To achieve the Cara Delevingne eyebrows of your dreams, or to just perfect your your own brows, rely on a brow pencil or a brow pomade, like Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade or Brow Wiz.
- Foundation and Concealer: Foundation helps you achieve a blank canvas to properly apply your makeup on top of. Some people prefer to have foundation and concealer, while others decide to conceal with a foundation a shade or two lighter than their foundation for their face. Makeup 4Ever has a wide range of foundations for all skin types. MAC’s Pro Longwear concealer is a favorite concealer for most.
- Beauty Blender: Commonly shared by YouTubers, the beauty blender helps evenly distribute foundation, concealer, and bronzer while giving you the perfect blend.
- Highlighters: Highlighters are the most popular products for beginners. Place highlighter everywhere you would like to glow once the light hits. Common placements include the bridge of the nose, the cupid’s bow, and the cheekbones.
- Eyeshadow: MAC Paint Pot is mostly used by makeup gurus on eyeshadows to help achieve a long-lasting and vibrant eye look. It can be worn alone or as a primer for another eye shadow color. It’s a must for every beginner because it keeps eyeshadow from creasing and keeps pigmentation from fading throughout the day.
- Mascara: Help you lashes stand out more with the help of mascara. False lashes are another great way to intensify your lashes, but always add mascara on top of it to make your eyes pop even more.
You can add and subtract wherever you deem necessary. Some men wear makeup to enhance their look by looking healthier and more put together and rely on a simple arsenal of products to do so: foundation, concealer, and bronzer. Other men wear makeup as a form of self-expression and wear makeup because they love it. Pick products that cater to your intention behind wearing makeup.
2. Invest In Your Makeup Selections
Unlike women who typically have a lot of knowledge about makeup, and moderate to little difficulty in selection, it indeed might feel overwhelming for guys who are just starting out in their makeup endeavors. Ladies are often coached by female representatives in beauty industries, sold to by female-centric advertisements, and catered to by those involved in the beauty world (makeup counters, makeup stores, etc.). Therefore, women acquire a knowledge of makeup at a much easier rate. It makes it easy for them to look for makeup in nearby shops and find products suitable for their skin tone.
For men, the case is different. While a lot of men just opt to pick up makeup from beauty aisles in stores that are catered to women, there is makeup on the market that are much more suitable for men. Men might require a heavier product or products that keep the texture and thickness of their skin in mind. You just have to know where to look. For beginners, you might prefer to lean towards the lighter side of makeup and just invest in products like guyliner, foundation, concealer, and manscara, which is where an outlet like Differio might be helpful. Some men might want to wear makeup, but without all the bells and whistles of dramatic eyeshadows and vivid lipstick shades.
There is no shame at all in needing help from experts who possess more knowledge on costs, perfect shades, skin tones, and matching makeup. You need as much valuable information as possible when it comes to making a choice from the numerous men’s makeup products available. Your goal of achieving a flawless complexion is just as important to manufacturers or suppliers as it is to you and they will do their best to give you as much assistance as possible.
3. How To Apply Your Makeup
To achieve a flawless look to your skin with a variety of men’s makeup products available, including bronzer, foundation and concealer, follow the necessary steps in the correct order. Depending on the products you decide to invest in, your routine will differ. If your makeup routine just consists of mascara and concealer, your routine might mean concealer first and mascara second. If you have a full face routine, your routine might be as follows: primer, brows, foundation, concealer, bronzer, eye shadow, blush, highlight, mascara, lip color. Whichever way is applicable, a perfect finish can be achieved if the proper steps are followed.
Before applying your makeup, it’s important to make sure the canvas you start with is squeaky clean, moisturized, and primed.
- Wash your face and rub gently in warm water in a circular movement to remove all dead skin cells. Rinse and dry well with a towel.
- Next, pat gently a wet cosmetic cotton ball with toner on your skin. This will restore the skin to its normal pH and remove any remaining dirt or dry skill cells on your skin. Keep your face clean shaven to prevent makeup from sticking to your beard.
- Apply a moisturizer with sunscreen and an SPF above 15 all over your face and neck. Allow the moisturizer to absorb into your skin before applying anything next.
Once you have these tips under your belt, you’ll be an expert at applying your makeup in no time!
Featured photo credit: LA Times via latimes.com