To be an effective graphic designer, you need to have creative thinking, design software, the ability to visualize a message and the right 3D pen. The 3D pens can make the work easier for designers and because they would be able to draw better on any canvas.
As the name suggests, a 3D pen looks just like a regular Ballpoint pen or pencil. It is bulkier. Unlike regular pens, 3D pens use plastic for ink.
It comes with a heating technology that will melt the plastic into a liquid form that will serve as the ink when using the 3D pen. This product is relatively new and not a lot of people have seen or used an actual 3D pen.
The 3D pen is important as this new tool will give designers an advantage over their competition, so I have compiled a list of 10 options. You can decide what you think is your best option.
3D pens manufactured in 2016
- 3dSimo Mini – This one weighs 40 grams is 163 mm by 36 mm by 22 mm. It also features an LCD display
- LIX Smart Pen – It weighs 40 grams and is smallest 3D pen on the market. It is 6.4 inches by 0.5 inches by 0.5 inches. It comes with a LED heat indicator. This pen is great for those who are just starting to use 3D pens and can be powered by a USB cable, which allows for charging. You can use a power bank to recharge the pen, giving you flexibility in where and when you work.
- Scribbler 3D Pen V3— It weighs 67 grams and is 6 inches by 2 inches by 4 inches. You can read its LCD display.
- 7TECH 3D Printing Pen – A favorite among printers, the pen weighs 65 grams. It is 7.3 inches by 1.6 inches by 1.1 inches. It comes with an LCD display.
- Ccbetter Intelligent 3D Pen – Weighing in at 55 grams, this pen stands 7 inches by 0.9 inches by 0.9 inches. It comes with an LCD display.
- Lay3r 3D Pen – It is 0.8 pounds and is 5 inches by 1 inch by 1.2 inches. It does not have an LCD display
- GENESIS 3D Printing Pen – This one also is used by printers. It is 48 grams and is no larger than 7.9 inches by 5 inches by 3 inches. It has an LCD display.
- 3Doodler Pen – It weighs 130 grams. It is 7.5 inches by 1.5 inches by 4 inches without an LCD display.
- Glyby Intelligent 3D Pen – It weighs 68 grams. It is 8.5 inches by 6.5 inches by 2.5 inches without an LCD display.
- CreoPop Cordless Pen – Not having a cord is a benefit that many graphic designers would like as a feature to this 0.7-pound pen. It is 7 inches by 1.2 inches by 1.2 inches. This pen doesn’t have an LCD display either.
Pros and Cons of 3D Pens
While these options are similar in size and weight, they come with advantages and disadvantages. For example, the corded ones tie a graphic designer to one location or can get tangled with other wires. However, the cordless version gives people the option of working anywhere.
The size of the motor for each of these pens makes a difference. The motor allows designers to create objects faster and more accurately. Therefore, check out the size of the motor before purchasing.
Some models fit better in hands. They are shaped with a contour that gives an ergonomic feel and doesn’t hurt the person using it. Therefore, although a smaller pen is easier to handle, it might be too bulky to hold. Find the ones that are shaped for a human hand.
Double-click features allow users to click and be on the right setting while other companies force the user to keep clicking while they are using the pen. This can be time-consuming and cumbersome. It also could lead to poor drawings.
One button feature is easier to coordinate than those that use more than one button. Designers can press one button to access everything they need or want from the pen.
Featured photo credit: http://www.cultofmac.com/ via cultofmac.com