The timing for the idea of this post was coincidental to me. I suffer from a disruptive digestive system, and I am sure I cannot be the only one in the world who does. Naturally, I am always on the lookout for recipes that help calm my system and that are also delicious to eat. Seriously, I need my food to taste good. It is not just an option for me. It is a requirement.
Here are eight recipes I looked up that are not only appetizing, but also easy to make and help keep the digestive system healthy.
1. This Superfood Smoothie contains pineapple, papaya, coconut oil, cabbage, and ginger. Papaya is known to be helpful for unruly digestive systems, and pineapples contain enzymes that increase protein digestion. If you are worried about the taste, you can use less cabbage in this recipe. Just chop up the pineapple, papaya, and cabbage. Add a quarter teaspoon of papaya seeds, ginger, coconut oil, and yogurt. Blend it until the desired consistency is reached. Follow this link to get the recipe for this smoothie.
2. Water is one of the best sources of health. Daily having 6-8 glasses of water will not only make your digestive system better, it also allows for better skin and regulates bowel movements to make you healthier. Water also tastes bland, so here is a recipe on the various food items you can use to detox your water to improve your digestion as well as add some flavor. For example, add apple slices and cinnamon to a pitcher of water and let it chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to get the Apple Cinnamon Detox Water! Ta-da! Flavored water, at your fingertips! I feel awesome already.
3. Try this recipe for a healthy breakfast that is also nurturing for digestion. Use one cup grated zucchini, one ripe, mashed banana, ground flaxseeds, pitted dates to make this healthy paleo zucchini bread recipe. Flaxseeds have a mildly laxative effect which regularizes the bowel movement. Its best to use it as ground flaxseeds or flax oil.
4. Peanut butter plus bananas plus oats equals delicious and healthy breakfast that your digestive system will also love. Need I say more? I can’t wait to try it out. All you have to do is mix oats, almond milk, and chia seeds and freeze it overnight. Chia seeds are a good source of soluble fiber and magnesium, and they promote regular muscle contractions and bowel movement. It is best to eat chia seeds after soaking them properly to get rid of the antinutrients.
In the morning, add yogurt, peanut butter, bananas and (if desired, chocolate chip cookies), and you have a healthy and tasty breakfast ready in minutes.
5. The health benefits of bone broths are numerous. It is known to heal leaky guts, detox livers, fight infections and most importantly, help with the digestive system. I found a delicious bone broth recipe that uses either beef or chicken bones, as well as vegetables added into the mix for flavor. The broth can be used as soup bases or frozen for later use.
6. Too much raw kale can actually cause some harm to the body, but there is nothing against the cooked variation. A hearty soup with kale, carrots, tomatoes and squash can not only be light and filling, but also help your body and keep it in a naturalize state. Just roast the vegetables for 45 minutes, puree the tomatoes with roasted garlic and onions, add it to the soup base and you will have a delicious meal in front of you in no time. Go through the recipe for the details.
7. If you are like I am and feel unable to cut off meat completely, try using lean meat instead to help keep a healthy digestive system. This chicken recipe is really appealing and also allows for healthy digestion. Use boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this one to keep the meat lean and your digestive system happy.
8. For seafood lovers, here is a recipe that will help with digestion. Salmon have long been known to contain omega 3, and this recipe also uses cucumber and avocado, all of which are beneficial for a healthy digestive system. For this meal, boil the noodles until soft, grill the skinless salmon medium-high heat, cut cucumber and avocado, and mix everything together with vinaigrette. Click here to get the full recipe.
And there you go- eight recipes to keep your digestion healthy and your mind happy. Which one is your favourite? Let us know, and thank you for reading this article.