Seniors are always under the threat of losing movement ability. Many of them face dementia after severe injuries; others become unable to move on their own due to other reasons. Because of this, elderly people know how to fight back pain for sure.
All in all, these are the most common reasons for reduced hip mobility:
- Traumas and injuries
- Specific disorders
- Sedentary life (passive lifestyle)
- Lack of motivation
- Regular car drives
- Frequent stresses
- Problems with back or coordination
Each of these problems can be solved or minimized with the help of our grannies’ experience.
Various life transitions lead to such consequences as depression and inability to move. This article reviews the top pieces of advice tested by their grandparents.
Before You Begin
Before we start discussing the series of physical exercises for improved movement, take into account that you can purchase some equipment which also cures your inability to move. Those who demand some assistance can order shower stools, special massagers, or walkers for seniors for affordable prices. These tools will minimize the pain and increase ability to move all alone.
Complex of stretching exercises is one of the best methods to increase body flexibility and freedom of movement. The National Institutes of Health offers the following elementary tips shared by our grannies before starting any practices.
1. Set the appointment at your doctor’s office.
You can set the appointment with your doctor in order to evaluate your health condition and find out which stretching exercises are safe for you. It is especially crucial for people over 60. You may think that old people prefer using traditional medicine and recovering on their own. However, experienced grannies turn to modern technologies when it comes to serious treatment.
Modern seniors are well aware of the technical progress and efficiency of contemporary practices, so they recommend using special tools and take corresponding drugs prescribed by professional. But you should start with the in-depth medical examination. Even if your back is okay, you may find other areas to be improved.
2. Do not ignore warming up sessions before beginning stretching exercises.
For instance, you can do arm-pumping first. Grannies are not that lazy, so they do not ignore the importance of warming-up or relaxation methods. Yoga and other meditation-related practices are an important base for every set of physical exercises. Youth often avoids this stage, but you should try to include at least 7-10 minute meditation for the first few times.
3. Mild discomfort is okay, but stretching itself does not have to cause any discomfort or unpleasant feelings.
It is fine to go in sweat, but any pain is unacceptable. Your granny will prove that she stops working each time when she feels pain. And it is not caused by her laziness or lack of motivation; if you do something against the will of your body, it may hurt even worse. Your grannies also would recommend applying special ointment for back pain.
4. Conduct slow and steady movements to make it possible for your muscles to stretch naturally.
Smooth movements are not always an indicator of an old person. It is a wise method to overcome harsh consequences.
5. Know your diagnosis and specific health problems!
Sit down with your healthcare provider and choose one of the categories listed below.
- Balance exercises (designed to stimulate leg muscles; as reported by NIH, American hospitals have 300,000 admissions for broken hips annually).
- Stretching exercises can give you more independence during your senior years. However, for improved endurance or strength, one has to choose another category.
- Endurance exercises refer to simple walking, jogging, swimming, etc. They motivate human to breathe for an extended period of time.
- Traveling for aged people. Any sort of recreation, especially the one by the sea, is an excellent alternative for the retired people to recover their movement ability.
Depending on your diagnosis strength exercises are perfect for building seniors’ muscles and improve metabolism. It all assists in regulating weight and sugar level in blood. Exercises mentioned above may even prevent diabetes. But the primary goal is to prevent young people from facing back pain in their senior life. Good luck with implementing these simple but useful pieces of advice!
Featured photo credit: DDS via discdiseasesolutions.com